I am still having trouble with the list's view

Arghh I still can not get Opus 8 to make ALL my list's show in detail mode. I have read many threads here and tried a lot of sugestions people have offerd but to no avale. What I am want is, EVERY time Opus starts/opens lists .. I want the view to be Commander style with detail listing's. Currently it will sometimes open commander style with details and sometimes it will revert back to commander style with thumbnail listings. I seem to have a 50/50 chance of it displying the listing in the format that I want and I think I have set it up to do. Currently I have it setup like this:

Tools|Preferences|Layout|Opening Listers
(all boxes are checked)
Tools|Preferences|Layout|Default Settings
(mode)Dual file Display
(checked)Folder Tree & Status Bar

Isn't there just a place were you can tell it to open ALL LIST'S in detail view ?!?

Help !
John

[Folder Formats: Quick Guide)

Hmmm... Nudels FAQ on understanding and configuring folder formats is required reading, but there's one thing it doesn't mention and that is the impact that 'Layout' settings have on folder views. Go through the FAQ first... and then:

Firstly, be familiar with the fact that Opus allows several differnt ways of opening a Lister - all of which can be configured to open a Lister in a unique way. Secondly, some terminology... 'Lister' is just a name for an Opus window; and 'Layout' is a term that describes everything about the way a Lister looks (number of file displays (single-pane or dual-pane), folder tree (on or off), view-mode (details, thumbnails, etc), the columns displayed (name, size, type, etc), and even whether or not one or more indivdual Listers are open).

How Listers can be opened:[ol][li]Double-Clicking the desktop:
Controlled by the Settings->Preferences->Layout->Opening Listers->Double-click on the desktop opens option
[/li]
[li]Double-Clicking the Opus icon in the system-tray:
Controlled by the Settings->Preferences->Layout->Opening Listers->Double-click on the tray icon opens option
[/li]
[li]Clicking on the Opus program shortcut on either the desktop or Windows Quick Launch toolbar (or via a folder shortcut or 'Start' menu link to a folder):
Controlled by the Settings->Preferences->Layout->Opening Listers->Inherit from the Default Lister options[/li][/ol]
Each of these different ways of launching a Lister can be affected by using either the 'Default Lister', 'Default Settings and Folders', or a named Layout that you've saved yourself. If you look at the first two configurable ways of loading a Lister above (double-click desktop or tray icon) you'll see they both have the same sort of options:[ul][li]a new Lister[/li]
[li]the saved layout[/li][/ul]
A 'new' Lister may sound a bit ambigious, and it's based on either the 'Default Lister' or 'Default Settings and Folders' depending on how the options below are set:[ul]Settings->Preferences->Layout->Opening Listers->Inherit from the Default Lister:
If all of the options in this subsection (Size, Position, Mode, Initial Folders) are CHECKED... then what you see will be determined by the 'Default Lister' layout which is not something you control directly on either the 'Default Settings' or 'Default Folders' pages, but rather by one of the following two options:
[ul]
[li]Settings->Preferences->Layout->Opening Listers->Update Default Lister settings when Listers are closed:
Which if enabled, will constantly update the 'Default Lister' layout settings whenever you close a Lister... i.e. everytime you close a Lister, the next one you open will start in the last folder you were in when the previous Lister was closed; as well as in whatever view-mode the last Lister was set to before it was closed. If you want a Lister to open the 'same way' and to the 'same folders' each time you open it, then you would disable this option.

[li]Settings->Set As Default Lister:
This is a user initiated operation that does the same thing as the automatic setting above... but only once... when you run it manually from the menu. If you set up your Lister for dual-pane file display, with whatever folders you wanted open in each file display, you could then run this 'Settings' menu option and it would update the 'Default Lister' layout to be how you see it on your screen at that moment, and it would stay that way until you run this Settings menu option again, or enable the 'auto' update setting above. Doing things this way is helpful as opposed to controlling things using the 'Default Settings' and 'Default Folders' pages if you want to do things like show MORE than just a single folder tab in one or more of your dual-pane file displays... The 'Default Folders' pages only let you set one folder for each of the "first' and 'Second' file displays.[/li][/ul]
Alternatively, if all of the 'Inherit' options are UN-checked, then the options on the 'Default Settings' and 'Default Folders' pages should indeed control what you see when you open a new Lister.

However, the 'Default Lister' is a sort of 'Layout' (although you can't 'load' or reference it by name like other manually 'saved' layouts) and as such stores MORE info than JUST what can be configured on the 'Default Settings' and 'Default Folders' pages. Notice that these other pages have NO options to control the folder format - things like the view-mode and columns displayed. Remember that 'Layouts' can override what you may have set in 'Folder Formats' or 'Folder Options'. Your 'custom' Folder Format could have ALL folders set to be viewed as Details, but if you save a Layout while viewing in Thumbnails mode... loading that layout will preserv the Thumbnails view-mode and ignore whatever is in 'Folder Formats'. An exception is a Folder Format saved for a specific folder - though if the same folder is also the first folder shown in the layout - the format saved in the layout will be shown 'first' and if you navigate away from that folder then go back to it, the saved 'Folder Format' for that folder should kick in.[/li][/ul]
A 'saved' Layout is just what it sounds like. Set up a Lister exactly how you want it to always appear. Then goto Settings->Lister Layouts->Save This Lister. Give the Layout a name. Now when you configure either 'Double-Click' on desktop or tray icon and choose this layout as the 'saved Layout' to load... what you'll see ifs exactly what you saved in your custom Layout. Unlike the 'Default Lister' layout, it can NEVER be updated automatically without you knowing it - you would have to manually go back to the 'Save This Lister' menu option and re-save it to 'update' it.