Insert Key works only if pressed two times and translation

Hi,

at first - Directory Opus is great. Thanks for that! :thumbsup:

I have found two strange behaviors:

1.) I use the insert-key to activate/mark files. But only if I press the key two times, the second file/folder is marked. The first one seems to be ignored - only the cursor/line-marker jumps to the next file or folder.

2.) I'm using the english-version of Opus, but some file-types are translated into german. Opus is installed on a german Windows 7 Pro.
While the folder-type is shown in english, every file-type is shown in german.

It is a fresh-install - only changing the theme. So it looks like TC-Commander or NortonCommander

Version: 10.5.0.0 (4779)

(Watch the screenshot, maybe it helps.)

Your,
Carsten

Okay, some more tests:

I have tried to change the selected language (From english to german to english) -> Result: The error is already there.
Everything changes to the german or english description (Menus, Buttons, ...). Only the description of the file-types stay in german.

(Screenshot:)

(Please ask one question per thread.)

[ol][li] The insert key toggles selection of the current item and then moves the keyboard focus to the next item. If you push insert on something that is already selected, it will be de-selected before moving to the next file.

You might want to turn off Preferences / File Displays / Options / Automatically select first file in folder (except in Power Mode), if it is on.

[/li]
[li]Except for a few special cases, like folders and junctions, type names come from Windows and the language they are in will depend on your system langauge and also which languages are supported by whatever software added those types to the system.

(If you think about it, Opus cannot know the names of every possible file type that might appear, e.g. ones that are made up by other software that Opus knows nothing about, or even file types that haven't been invented yet. The names have to come from somewhere else, so they cannot be tied to your Opus language choice.)[/li][/ol]

Okay, last test for today.

(Screenshot)

"Today" and "Yesterday" come from Opus, because the system does not have those names as part of its date formatting. All other date names come from Windows and your locale settings.

If you run Opus and Windows in two different languages then you'll see a mixture of those languages.

WOW! A very fast answer. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2.) Language: Okay. Maybe you will find a way later to translate the file-types into the native language.
I know you do - like always. :smiley: - But there is already the problem with the modification-date.

1.) The next last test for this day:
The error occurs only if I move the line-marker with the cursor-keys before I press the insert-key.
If I activate a file or folder with the mouse-cursor first and then press the insert-key the error doesn't occur - and the first file or folder is marked.

Here is my config:

[quote="Carsten0107"]1.) The next last test for this day:
The error occurs only if I move the line-marker with the cursor-keys before I press the insert-key.
If I activate a file or folder with the mouse-cursor first and then press the insert-key the error doesn't occur - and the first file or folder is marked.[/quote]

If you just use the cursor keys, you are selecting the active file.

Using the cursor keys on their own, then pushing insert, will deselect the file you had moved to.

If you want to move to a file without selecting or deselecting it, you have to hold down Ctrl while using the cursor keys.

[quote="Carsten0107"]1.) The next last test for this day:
If I activate a file or folder with the mouse-cursor first and then press the insert-key the error doesn't occur - and the first file or folder is marked.[/quote]

[quote="leo"]If you just use the cursor keys, you are selecting the active file.
Using the cursor keys on their own, then pushing insert,.[/quote]

This is right. But in my opinion this is the error. Why is the file deselected I have moved to if I press the insert-key?
I want to select the file I have moved to. This behavior doesn't make sense.

In my opinion the correct behavior for the insert-key is like [shift] + [cursor down]

Because that's what insert is meant to do.

If you want the behaviour of shift+cursor down, push shift+cursor down.

You have already selected it by moving to it using the cursor keys without holding ctrl. You don't need to select the file as it is already selected. Pushing a key like insert which toggles selection will deselect it, since it is already selected.

Then the special insert behaviour would be lost. The point of the insert key is that it does something particular, and something different to shift + cursor down. It's not there as an alternative key which does the same thing as shift + cursor down.

Note that insert is typically used in Power Mode by people who have Power Mode configured so that files have to be explicitly selected/deselected and so that the cursor keys on their own do not change the selection.

If the insert key's behaviour doesn't make sense to you, don't push the key. It's not for you. :slight_smile: