Junction refresh not working on non-vista machine

Just out of interest, does this work as expected in Explorer?

Yes as far as I have seen, windows explorer presents no noticable differences when using junction targets that are on a USB drive. The first time I ever noticed a difference was with DOpus.

Apparently, this refresh problem goes away as long as you have a tab open in dopus that points to the drive letter that is assigned to the USB mounted drive.

In other words, if you have a "fake" junction directory F:/foobar that points to a "real" directory on a usb mounted R:/ ... refreshes to F:/foobar will not auto-populate unless you have a tab open in DOpus that points to R:/

Apparently, DOpus needs to "see" the real drive in a tab somewhere before it is willing to make auto-refreshes to a junction that points to that "real" drive.

Thanks for the additional info, we've been able to work out what's going wrong now, and this will be fixed in the next version!

Excellent, hats off to you on the find and the great response!

Many thanks,

The next version was released 10 days after this was posted and does not appear to include the fix. This is not a complaint - just an observation. I assume it was just too close to the 9.1.0.3.2975 release date and is on the list for the next version?

Regards, AB

Yes it did:

Hmmm

I still see the symptom that a file delete from a junction structure needs a refresh (F5) whereas a file delete from a conventional drive location is immediately removed from the display. This is on XP/SP2 and the latest release of DOpus.

Regards, AB

You'll need to provide more information than just "it doesn't work." :slight_smile:

Have you tried the FAQ linked above? What information does the debug mode show? Which type of junction is it? Which types of folders and filesystems is it from and to? Anything unusual about them such as not having drive letters? etc.

Fair enough. Two separate junctions. One is a logical disk partition which used to be mapped to drive letter E: before I made it a junction mapped to a directory on C:. Both C: and E: were on the same physical HDD. The other junction is a 2nd internal IDE HDD, previously mapped as D:, now mapped to a directory on C:. All are NTFS. I'll try the debug stuff later and report back.

Regards, AB

Using Process Monitor and filtering on the junction directory where test files are ready to be deleted, I see a lot of CreateFile operations with a result of REPARSE. Nothing different is recorded in PM when I delete a file, and the file is still displayed in DOpus. When I press F5 to refresh, the file disappears from the DOpus lister window and PM records a QueryOpen operation with a result of FAST IO DISALLOWED.

If I delete a file from the same directory in Explorer, it disappears immediately from the Explorer window and generates a sequence of five CreateFile/REPARSE records. I'll send the log in a bug report.

Regards, AB

Don't forget the notify_debug stuff within Opus (explained in the FAQ). That's what tells you what Opus is/isn't seeing. The problem could be that Opus isn't seeing a change at all, or it could be seeing the change but not realising it applies to the directory.

I'll send a debug log too then...

Regards, AB

This is still not working properly in 9.1.0.4. I just read Zippo's posts in this thread and I think we are on to the same issue. I have updated an earlier problem report with GP Software.

Regards, AB

Thanks for repoting it Aussieboykie .
I'm on a Vista machine here.

From the context menu - > Properties entry of the junction,
is there any info as to what Junction Type it is ?
On my Vista machine, I've found that the Junction Type in question is a Mounted Volume.
These junctions were created under the Control Panel Disk Management GUI.

[quote="Zippo"]From the context menu - > Properties entry of the junction,
is there any info as to what Junction Type it is ?
On my Vista machine, I've found that the Junction Type in question is a Mounted Volume.
These junctions were created under the Control Panel Disk Management GUI.[/quote]
Yes, same here. Mounted Volume created using the Control Panel Disk Management GUI.

Regards, AB

I've found the same problem on version 9.1.0.5. If I go to Computer Management and mount a drive as a folder, then create a text file in that folder and delete it, Opus won't refresh automatically. If I install Opus 9.1.0.2, it works. Tried same thing on XP and Vista, same results.

We have a test version which hopefully solves these problems, if you'd like to try it: gpsoft.com.au/files/Opus9/Te ... nstall.exe

Please report back your findings.

All seems well here.
I've such a wormholed and nested mess of test junctions here,
both Mounted Volume and File Folder,
that I'm frequently becoming disoriented.
If only my computer had an internal Brunton Compass,
or DOpus had an integrated Star Map. :laughing:
In any case, file copy, move, and delete operations are auto-refreshing within all my test junctions .

Thanks very much Jon !
Maybe I can delete all those test junctions now.
Using Vista32 here.

Yes it works for me too.

Thank you!