Layout won't stick

I start up O/O, and rearrange the columns, then save it as the default lister, then close, and on re-open, he columns are back where they were instead of where I moved them.

What am I doing wrong here?

Regards,
Chuck Billow

How are you doing that "re-open" specifically?

Clicking on desktop.

What do you have set under Preferences / Launching Opus / From the Desktop ?

Open the default lister.

Try turning off Preferences / Launching Opus / Default Lister / Ignore folder format of Default Lister.

It is turned off...same thing.

I just realized that I hadn't mentioned...I'm running this on Windows 10. Dies that make a difference? Could that be why? I cannot see how or why it would, but...

Chuck

You may need to turn off the Auto-size columns option in the Folder Options dialog, Display tab.

Folder Formats: Quick Guide explains how to save that kind of change as the default. (You most likely do not want to save it via the Default Lister, as you would lose the setting when changing folders. Instead, follow the steps in the guide.)

Leo, I'll look at the guide. Strange, I cannot seem to get to the screen shown above,

Chuck

This is getting pretty frustrating. The simplest thing, setting column widths, then setting it as default lister, isn't staying. When I start up again, it's all messed up and has to be reconfigured.

And all this today with a clean install. I totally uninstalled, rebooted, and started over. Shouldn't this work?!

Chuck

Did you look at the guide? Did you get to the screen you were having trouble finding before, or do you still need help with that?

Leo, how do I get to that screen? I THOUGHT I had looked everywhere, but obviously have not!

Well, at least for now, I give up. It seemed that what I wanted to do should be simple: a Commander layout / style, with only the name, Size, Modified, and Attributes columns, with Drive C on the left, and D on the right, and setting that as my default.

No matter what I have tried however, I cannot seem to get that done, and a couple-three hours on what should take two minutes is fast becoming more of an aggravation than it is worth.

I tried setting up one side, just the way I wanted it, and then replicating it to the other side. Okay, but then when I changed drives or folders, the layout changed as well. I sure am not going to sit and have to set up each of a thousand+ folders individually, when I should be able to set up a folder or drive once and have it that way for all the others.

I am totally surprised that I cannot set up a certain layout, save it as the default lister, and then have it changed the next time I open it.

Ah well...

Chuck

The guide Leo linked to explains how to change what the default is for all folders. You haven't said if you've actually tried to follow it or not.

I thought I had read through it...this time I walked through step-by-step -- and as you all might know, it worked. Apologies for the meltdown.

Question: Now that I have this set up all the same, if I change one folder, will that change stay only for that folder, and will it in fact stay -- so that, say, if I want a Pictures folder to display the contents in tiles, so that I set it up, can I then save that layout (?) For just that folder, leaving all the others the same?

If you use "Save > For This Folder" from the Folder Options dialog then it will only affect that folder. (If you do other things, it can affect other folders, of course.)

You might want to skip Folder Formats: Detailed Guide if you want a deeper understanding of folder formats.

By the way, Layout has a special meaning in Opus, and is different from a Folder Format, which is what we are talking about. To avoid confusion in other threads, it's best to only use "layout" if you're working with Opus layouts.