Lister not showing correct folder size

If I go into a sub folder and delete all the contents and then go up to the parent folder the size column is still showing the size it was before I deleted the contents instead of correctly showing 0 bytes.

I can continue to enter sub folders and delete files and go back to the parent folder and the lister never gets refreshed to show the correct reading despite navigating between folders and carrying out file operations.

I don't recall opus ever having this issue in the past, has something changed in terms of how the listers are refreshed?

That is normal and how it has always worked, at least for as long as I can remember.

When you run "go back" or "go back up" to return to the parent folder, Opus will show you the cached version of the folder you were just looking at.

If automatic folder size calculation is not turned on, then Opus will not (re-)calculate folder sizes when you change folders, but it will still show the cached details if they exist in the lister's memory.

Hit Ctrl-L to recalculate the folder sizes, or use Edit > Calculate Folder Sizes, the same as you did to calculate them initially.

On the other hand, if automatic folder size calculation is on (either globally or for the specific folder(s)), then pushing F5 or clicking the current path on the breadcrumbs field will also cause the path to be reloaded and trigger a recalculation. Ctrl-L will do the same without having to refresh the whole folder, but I often just use F5 as it's easier, unless the folder is huge and takes a long time to read.

If you're using the parent button and it runs "go back up" then changing it to just "go up" will prevent the cached folder being used when you click that button. (Provided Preferences / Miscellaneous / Advanced: go_up_always_back is not turned on.)

More about folder size calculation here:

Hi Leo,

I am currently having to hit F5/control+L to get the folder size calculated but I thought the " calculate folder sizes automatically" option would calculate it automatically without me having to keep manually refreshing it.

Reading the link you posted it says "You can also ask Opus to calculate folder sizes automatically every time you change folder. In Preferences / Folders / Folder Behaviour* the setting Calculate folder sizes automatically for..." but it's not automatically calculating every time I change folder?

Maybe the answer is to change the command and take out the back option but I wanted to check why the the preference option doesn't appear to do what it suggests it does.

It has always worked that way. Loading the folder from the cached history does not normally re-read or re-calculate anything.

I don't doubt that it's always worked that way, it's probably just that i'm currently working with a lot of sub-folders and going back up and back down to other folders and the folder sizes aren't changing that i've noticed.

Why doesn't the preferences "calculate folder sizes automatically" not calculate the folder sizes when the folder changes?

This is the description "You can also ask Opus to calculate folder sizes automatically every time you change folder" which is exactly what I want. Is the description wrong or is the feature not working as intended?

Because loading the folder from the cached history does not normally re-read or re-calculate anything.

And that is like that because if could potentially be really annoying and time consuming if dipping in and out of a child folder to check things always forced a complete recalculation when you swapped back to the parent folder.

A script add-in could be written to trigger a size calculation each time you changed folders, or changed to particular folders (or a path wildcard, etc.) even when using the lister's history cache.