Multiple rename numbering

Hello. I am trying to batch rename files. I am choosing the advanced rename and then the option “Sequential numbering from 33 by 1”. My problem is that the renamed files have the numbering at the end and I am interested to place it at the front so I can sort the files by name. The help file for the specific operation indicates:

Now although I tried I cannot succeed. Where exactly do I insert the special [*]. Any help would be appreciated.

See screenshot for an example:

Assuming you have selected all the files you want to number and the click the "Rename" toolbar button (or the long way, from File-->File Commands..-->Rename), you'll get the rename dialog box with

Old name: (.*)\.(.*) New name: [#].\2

set when you select the "Number Files" preset.

In a nutshell, the name of the file is stored in \1, the extension is stored in \2, and the current sequence will be stored in [#].

So just to put a number at the front, maybe postfixed with a " - ", you'd put the following in the "New name:" field:

[#] - \1.\2

Just be sure to have the preview window open as you can see the new names on the fly before you actually commit to anything.

heh.. .never mind... ignore me.. the master beat me to it. :smiley:

Thanks for the prompt response.

What can I do if all these files have a different name, e.g.

hotsummer.txt
sometext.txt
calendar.txt

Can I keep the original names and just add the the numbering at the front?

Just use this as the old name:

and this as the new:

[#]-*

Thanks a lot.