Nasty crashes... (Update: Due to O&O Defrag context menu)

Alright, next issue. This one's a lot more serious: I can get DOpus to crash reliably using the following sequence of commands: I go into my Pictures folder (this is on 32bit Vista), and select a photo (.jpg file), then click on File->File Commands, click outside the popup menu to make it go away, then click the file again, and right-click->Boom, DOpus crashes. Not good at all... Any suggestions?

P.S.: It doesn't seem to matter what file in what folder I click. Doing the above for any kind of file causes DOpus to crash on my system. That's really bad, it makes it completely unusable. I hope there's a solution!

P.P.S.: Another update: All I need to do to crash DOpus is right-click on a file, then left-click on another file, then right-click on the first file, and DOpus crashes. :frowning:

Event Viewer says:

Faulting application DOpus.exe, version 4.0.2.4, time stamp 0x4a307f4c, faulting module uxtheme.dll_unloaded, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4791a77a, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x73d67bfc, process id 0x178c, application start time 0x01c9eec3d93701c0.

Right after installation I also had a

Faulting application DOpus.exe, version 4.0.2.4, time stamp 0x4a307f4c, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e03821, exception code 0xc0000374, fault offset 0x000afaf8, process id 0x1f4, application start time 0x01c9eeb4e76e4000.

But that could have been a one-time issue.

See Crash, exit or high CPU when right-clicking certain files

Ah, that was ezxtremely helpful! Thanks!

If you find an issue please report back so that other people may benefit from your experience.

O.k., problem solved: It was the crappy O&O Defrag handler that had been implicated before. However, this is with the newest version of O&O, 11.5 Build 4065. I disabled the corresponding context menu entry, and everything seems to fine now. Thanks again for your help!

Oh, and I'm impressed by how well DOpus can work around this common type of problem. Very nice!

The O&O issue is back? Damn. :frowning: It seems to affect other programs as well as Opus. Odd that they don't fix it on their side, assuming the problem has been reported to them.

Maybe Opus should blacklist the O&O context menu by default to avoid the crashes.

Anyone else with the latest O&O also seeing or not seeing the problem? It's possible the issue for Pirx was the old O&O context menu DLL not being updated properly for some reason, so I don't want to suggest blacklisting it prematurely. If others can confirm it then it seems like the best thing to do, though.

I have the latest O&O Defrag, no problems here although i'm using XP SP3.

O.k., turns out there was a newer version than what I had, Buil 4101. I installed that, and this does solve the crashing problem. So, it look slike you can keep O&O off the blacklist, for now. :wink:

Excellent. Thanks for letting us know it's okay.