Opus11 Crashing when Mapped Drives not available

I have multiple drives mapped to my default lister for when on my work network. When I am NOT at work and attempt to start Dopus, the program crashes.

When I am connected to my work network via the vpn, the program starts fine.

Does it actually crash and exit with an error dialog, or does one window just take a while to respond?

It is normal (and very hard to avoid) for some operations to take a long time if a network drive is inaccessible, since it takes Windows that long to give up. It's best to avoid the situation, e.g. by using UNC oaths instead of drive letter mappings for drives which won't always be there.

It actually crashes with an error message. I tried to attach a screenshot, but I couldn't figure out how to attach it.

That's definitely unusual! Is there a crash dump? If there is one/some matching the date & time of the crashes, please zip and email them to leo@gpsoft.com.au and I will investigate.

To attach a screenshot to a forum post click the Full Editor & Preview button below the text field.

Leo, I emailed the crash dump to you as requested.

I'll send a screen shot of the error message next time I get the message.

Thanks for the crash dumps!

From what I can tell so far, a Windows shell component is crashing when asked to show a virtual folder, but it's a bit strange since going to a network drive letter should not involve any virtual folders, at least if you are going there directly.

If you're navigating via the Homegroup or Network folder (or similar), or possibly via those branches of the folder tree, or (getting less likely) the Computer/This PC folder (if Opus has been configured not to handle it itself), then that might make sense: The crash may be after failing to load the mapped drive letter, and going back to the previous folder. But I've spent a while using a Win8 VM trying scenarios like that and wasn't able to get it to crash.

I have 2 or 3 mapped drive letters saved in my default lister. Might that cause this when it attempts to access them?

It may be a factor, but not on its own.

I've tried similar here and not been able to reproduce what you are seeing. I'm not sure why a virtual folder is loading in the scenario as it's described, unless it's from another tab and not one of the network drives (or unless the network drives are pointing at the root of the computer, i.e. the list of shared folders, but I've tried that without issue here).

If you want to email us a backup of your configuration, we could investigate if there's a combination of settings or an unexpected detail causing the problem.

Setting network drives to not auto-load may also help. That can be done under Preferences / Folders / Auto-Loading.

How do I create a backup of my config? and where would it be stored?

Also, I turned auto-loading for network drives off. When I start up not connected to our work network, it still fails.

You get to the config backup tool via the Settings / Backup & Restore menu item. A thread with instructions on backing up your Opus config is in my signature...

Leo, What version of Windows did you test with? I have a Win 8 machine with no problems. I ONLY experience this on a Windows 10 machine.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times and continue to have the same problem.

Are you sure? The crash dumps you emailed me on 18th Februrary were from a Windows 8.1 machine.

Since the dumps were from Windows 8.1, I used that in most of my tests (as per my post on the 19th Feb above) so it would be more likely to be similar to the machine the dumps were from. (I've also tried a few tests on Windows 10, since that's what my day-to-day machine runs.)

Windows 8.1 system DLLs have 6.3.9600 versions, while Windows 10 bumped the version numbers to 10.x.x

Additional to previous reply:

Looking at the crash dump again, it's happening when the Windows shell is asked to change font, so resetting Preferences / Display / Colors and Fonts is worth a try. You can do so by going to the Preferences page and then using the File menu option highlighted below:

(Please backup your config first, as it would be good to investigate what the font settings were if this fixes things.)

That could be correct. I'm getting my machines confused as I'm now between machines - a Lenovo with Win 8.1 and a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 with Win 10. I leave the 8.1 machine at the office and I don't have any problems with Opus on it. The machine I have uninstalled and installed multiple times and continue to have the problem is the MS SP4 running Win 10.

I haven't actually run the Win 10 machine from the office for a while. I will re-install Opus, connect to the office network and try running it again.