Output Window ( Print List Of Files )

In a default configuration, there isn't any View Help in the Help menu.

The choices in the Help menu are:

Help F1
Keyboard Map ...
GP Software on the Web
License Manager ...
About Directory Opus

Help or F1 displays the internal help file.

You can download the PDF file and display it however you want including, I suppose, modifying the Help menu to display it, but I haven't tried. There is nothing, as far as I know, in Dopus to display the PDF file by default. The content of the PDF file and the displayed Help are supposed to be the same.

[quote="rcoleman1943"]In a default configuration, there isn't any View Help in the Help menu.[/quote] Have a look at this screen shot.

[quote="Blade007"]You can download the PDF file and display it however you want including, I suppose, modifying the Help menu to display it, but I haven't tried. There is nothing, as far as I know, in Dopus to display the PDF file by default. The content of the PDF file and the displayed Help are supposed to be the same.[/quote] We have downloded it but in the past we were able to get it straight from the menu in DOpus.

Cheers,

As Bob Coleman pointed out, the default Help menu does not include View Help (see screen cap below). You must have added this yourself at some point in the past. What command is associated with your View Help option?

Regards, AB

Hi,

Can't remember setting this up we are sure this came std from default with DOpus. Here is a pic of the command.

Cheers,

According to the help on Help - Raw Command, the command Help MANUAL should display the PDF version of the manual if it is found in the Directory Opus program directory. If it's not found, you are redirected to the GP Software web site from where you can download the PDF.

I tried copying DOpus9ReferenceManual.pdf to the C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus folder but I still get redirected to the web site. Presumably Help MANUAL is looking for a specific file name and it's not DOpus9ReferenceManual?

Regards, AB

Hey AB,

Thank you for your help.

Looks like since the last DOpus update this is happening. Anyone know what file name should be for the help file in the DOpus folder directory.

Still like to know more about what purpose the Output Window does.
It would be nice once the search is done using the Output Window that you could print off files names and details.

Cheers,

Why don't you just edit the menu item to launch the PDF file directly if that's what you want it to do?

I not sure why you want to use the Output Window so much, either. Just output the Find Results to a file collection and then use Print Folder from there. The Output Window is a leftover from Opus 6 and pretty much obsolete these days; I expect it will be removed entirely in Opus 10 and nothing forces you to use it in Opus 9.

As a reminder, Ask one question per thread. This thread was a mess from the first post. :slight_smile:

Hey Leo,

[quote="Blade007"]As a reminder, Ask one question per thread. This thread was a mess from the first post. :slight_smile:[/quote] Sorry about more than one question and the mess. :blush:

[quote="Blade007"]Why don't you just edit the menu item to launch the PDF file directly if that's what you want it to do?[/quote] Yes it looks like we will have to do that anyway but what has gone wrong with it in the first place.

[quote="Blade007"]I not sure why you want to use the Output Window so much, either. Just output the Find Results to a file collection and then use Print Folder from there. The Output Window is a leftover from Opus 6 and pretty much obsolete these days; I expect it will be removed entirely in Opus 10 and nothing forces you to use it in Opus 9.[/quote] Ok we are still very new to all of DOpus 9 we are trying get our heads around the tools it offers.

:question: Why are both find fields different anyway or is it just our setup. :confused:

BTW we don't have your capacity just yet. :sunglasses:

Cheers,

Nothing has gone wrong.

In the past (a few years ago), the help file only had a subset of what was in the full PDF file but these days the help file has the same content as the PDF file.

Since the help file is more suited to reading on screen than the PDF file (which, formatted for pieces of paper, is more suited to printing out), I think it makes sense that F1 (and the help menu) open the help file rather than the PDF, by default.

I think there may still be a way you to cause the default help menu to open the PDF, by copying the PDF to the Opus directory with a special filename, but I'm not sure what the name is or if that still works and it's just as easy to edit the help menu if you want to do that.

One menu item opens the standalone Find Window while the other opens the Find Panel in the current lister.

I only ever use the Find Panel myself.

I too am a fan of the PDF file. You can annotate, highlight and search outside DOpus. (So long as the PDF file has not lapsed back to being protected from user intrusion, as happened once by accident.)

To get the PDF file on to the Help menu, as Leo suggested, all you have to do is to edit, or create, an entry in the Help "drop down" menu.

Then just paste into the "Function" slot the filename and full path to the PDF file. ("Copy Filenames" "As Full Pathnames" in the default Edit menu.)

To make it even clearer what sits at the end of the menu entry, give it the icon from your PDF reader.

Click the "Images" left button, point it at the PDF reader's exe file and pick an icon.

Then when you click the menu entry in future up will pop the PDF file.

Copy and edit the next bit, then paste the result to where you want it.

<?xml version="1.0"?> Reference Manual DOpus9 Reference Manual C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe,0 C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\DOpus9ReferenceManual.pdf

I just copied and edited this from my own menu to reflect more common locations of the relevant files. (A real expert will tell you if it has any mistakes.)

You can add other thing in as Help menu entries to remember other useful stuff, such as:

gpsoft.com.au/manual9/NetHelp/default.htm

You can also drag the PDF file into the menu (while in Customize mode) to get a similar result.

Hi,

[quote="leo"]Nothing has gone wrong.[/quote] Thank you all we wanted to know has this change since version 8 to ver 9 of update.

[quote="leo"]In the past (a few years ago), the help file only had a subset of what was in the full PDF file but these days the help file has the same content as the PDF file.[/quote] I see thanks for your clarification.

[quote="leo"]Since the help file is more suited to reading on screen than the PDF file (which, formatted for pieces of paper, is more suited to printing out), I think it makes sense that F1 (and the help menu) open the help file rather than the PDF, by default.[/quote] Ok but when in the menu of DOpus why change it to suit to open the Windows Help as in screenshot rather than its own product.

[quote="leo"]by copying the PDF to the Opus directory with a special filename[/quote] That's what we have done then we need to find out that special name.

[quote="leo"]One menu item opens the standalone Find Window while the other opens the Find Panel in the current lister.

I only ever use the Find Panel myself.[/quote] Yes but what we are trying to understand why not have the same features for both.

[quote="michaelkenward"]I too am a fan of the PDF file. You can annotate, highlight and search outside DOpus. (So long as the PDF file has not lapsed back to being protected from user intrusion, as happened once by accident.)[/quote] Thats like what we like about it as well.

[quote="michaelkenward"]You can add other thing in as Help menu entries to remember other useful stuff, such as:[/quote] So much powere we still have to learn.

[quote="leo"]You can also drag the PDF file into the menu (while in Customize mode) to get a similar result.[/quote] We try this as well.

Thank you for your time guys. :slight_smile:

I really don't think anyone is going to be able to help you figure out why that non-standard 'View Help' item is on your Help menu... Unless it is some left over piece of an Opus 8 installation or customization (which you mentioned having come from v8 to v9); and other than easing any concern you might have that either Opus is adding things to it's own menu bars by itself, or somebody other than you is messing around with your system config, I don't see much point in continuing on about that specific question. As you know, Opus is very customizable - so you can easily either modify the existing 'Help F1' menu item to open the PDF file that you want - or add a new menu entry to load the PDF - done.

So that's it on "fixing" it to make it work the way you want... just pick your preferred way of doing it. Anecdotally, and at the risk going further down this rabbit-hole - I'm curious how that 'View Help' button is doing anything at all. In your "Customize" mode screenshot, it looks like that item is just the default 'Help Menu Marker' - and I don't even see where the menu item could be showing up with the 'View Help' label, it shouldn't be showing up at all. Weird.

Leo gave his thoughts on the Output Window... if you want to use it, then feel free - but you can't print 'directly' from it.

Not sure if you're still having trouble with the File->Find menu item seeming to run a different command than the <Ctrl+F> hotkey... you seemed to still question your results in your last comment about it. What I had been trying to tell you was that in a 'default' Opus configuration, the File->Menu command and the <Ctrl+F> hotkey are not two separately defined items... the hotkey is 'assigned' to the menu item, so they are not just supposed to be "running the same commands" they are a single configuration item. If you change the command in one interface (like in the Customize->Keys tab), then you see the change reflected in the other (such as editing the menu item directly).

For you:

• If you edit the File->Find menu item, does it show the Ctrl + F hotkey assignment?
  • What is the command it (your Find menu item) is configured to run?
  • If you look at the 'Keys' tab in the Customize dialog, do you have more than one Ctrl + F key defined?
  • What is the command it (your Ctrl + F hotkey) is configured to run?

The 'Help Menu Marker' at the bottom of the default Help menu is a placeholder for any menu items which a virtual folder (e.g. My Computer) might want to add to the Help menu.

The 'View Help' item is added that way in system folders like My Computer where the view is provided by Windows Explorer (or, technically, the shell). The item does the same thing as the same item in Windows Explorer's menu, since it is the same thing.

If you're in a folder which Opus can display by itself then you won't see the 'View Help' item.

Opus's own help item is the one at the top of the default Help menu.

[quote="leo"]
If you're in a folder which Opus can display by itself then you won't see the 'View Help' item.[/quote]

I don't get any 'View Help' even when in Windows Explorer.

[quote="Blade007"]

I, and perhaps everyone else, had overlooked that your View Help displays generic Windows Help rather than specific DOpus help. I (we?) thought your question/complaint was related to seeing a Windows Help formatted version of DOpus help rather than a PDF version of DOpus help. I finally understand that you are confused because View Help displays something not related to DOpus at all, but we can't tell you why View Help does that because we can't tell you why View Help is even there in the first place.

I think Leo already described what that 'View Help' item was doing there... and what you see (or don't see) depending on the folder you're currently viewing is sure to be affected by the Windows version you're using. For instance, here is a screenshot of the Help menu contents when viewing the control panel folder on WinXP...

I had forgotten how the 'Menu Markers' actually work - and I think Leo explained it very clearly. But I think blade's question(s) around this were multi-pronged. He was asking about BOTH the 'View Help' results, as well as expressing a preference of the PDF file over the built-in windows help formatted help system... which I think has been explained he can easily put in place by editing the menu item of his choice or by dragging the PDF to the menu while in customize mode, and creating a new item to launch the PDF.

[quote="rcoleman1943"][quote="Blade007"]

I, and perhaps everyone else, had overlooked that your View Help displays generic Windows Help rather than specific DOpus help. I (we?) thought your question/complaint was related to seeing a Windows Help formatted version of DOpus help rather than a PDF version of DOpus help. I finally understand that you are confused because View Help displays something not related to DOpus at all, but we can't tell you why View Help does that because we can't tell you why View Help is even there in the first place.[/quote] Correct.

I think Leo already described what that 'View Help' item was doing there... and what you see (or don't see) depending on the folder you're currently viewing is sure to be affected by the Windows version you're using. For instance, here is a screenshot of the Help menu contents when viewing the control panel folder on WinXP...

I had forgotten how the 'Menu Markers' actually work - and I think Leo explained it very clearly. But I think blade's question(s) around this were multi-pronged. He was asking about BOTH the 'View Help' results, as well as expressing a preference of the PDF file over the built-in windows help formatted help system... which I think has been explained he can easily put in place by editing the menu item of his choice or by dragging the PDF to the menu while in customize mode, and creating a new item to launch the PDF.[/quote] Thanks for your help guys.

steje my next task is doing what you have in the screenshot opening my control panel via DOpus. Look at this thread Recycle Bin & Control Panel if you could post how the setup for that is done.

Cheers,

Steje is using XP, judging by his screenshot.

You're using Vista.

We already explained, in the thread you linked to, that Opus deosn't handle Control Panel on Vista and above.

I'm locking this thread as it's a complete mess.