Pausing in a multi-function button

Not a bad thing, steje. Title casing rules say that the FIRST and the LAST word of a title, no matter what that word is, should be uppercase. Example: "Evanescence - Fallen - 01 - Going Under.mp3" should remain unchanged, even though "Under" is one of those words that should otherwise be lowercased. In this example, it is the last word of the title.

I really wish I could code, because I feel bad for continually correcting you guys. You're putting so much effort into this, and I do really appreciate it.

By the way, steje (or porc or tanis or whoever), this is a good link to check out title case rules. It tells you what should be capitalized, what should not be. Like I said earlier, there is no way to write a program that's perfect at this. Certain words (like "to" or "as") are lowercased sometimes and capitalized other times, depending on how they are being used grammatically. No way to get a program to do that. At least, not in english. It would be easier in other languages.

Steje, I'll see if I can screw up the new one, too. And BTW, FWIW, I haven't yet been able to get your first one to blue screen me.

--chriscrutch

Well, steje and porcupine, I've been testing for several days now and have found a clear winner. Not that it was a competition, right? :smiley:

I've emailed you both with the findings. I hope no one is offended.... :confused:

--chriscrutch

Hi Chris,

Noone is offended .
However, I think we gave Tanis' Titlecase Rename the Deep Six too quickly.
Titlecase Rename fixes problems we haven't considered yet.
For instance, suppose a file had the partial string "Iron MaiDen" in it.
OK, this is bordering on strange, but Tanis gets the Fix !

Titlecase Rename corrects it to Iron Maiden .
I'll keep working on my full directory solution on a character by character basis.

Your beta testing IS Definitely Appreciated !
Thanks for pointing out my mistakes Chris !
And YES, NO it was never a competition, we're working together, all of us.

:opusicon: porcupine

edit note:
Tanis' does not change (Disc 1) to (disc 1) .
However, Tanis does change (disc 1) to (Disc 1) !

I didn't forget about making changes here - just have not had alot of time. Will try some more this week...

Yeah, not much time here at the moment either.
I'm just rethinking strategies.
I'm probably sticking with the strategy I already have for the Regular Expession part though.
I fixed the Bugs Chris found easily in about three lines.
I should be able to work the remainder of this in.

I know one problem we missed.
A repeated letter with a space character on both sides should probably be capitalized.
AAA , BB King , TTT ( Techno Tubo Torino ) , .... etc.
TNT is out of luck I guess.

Hmmm... you that is an overall problem, though on my end keep in mind, pseudoCase doesn't actual 'capitalize' anything. It expects that all words are already capped and it just lower cases the words being screened for... But because of the example mentioned, you then wouldn't want to run a Rename CASE=allwords like I had suggested prior to running pseudoCase - quadruple damn.

Hi Steje,

I'm working on it, but it does take a bit of a revision of my previous program.
I almost have a version that strips out excess space characters across the entire music filename, and still renames as Chris wants 'A' and 'The' in the title.

I can then move on to a version similar to your first pseudocase, with the regular expression replaced inside the program.

My program operates on all files in the directory.
It will take some time.
I'll get it for what it's really worth.

Well, personnaly i don't speak the dos, and i found another way to pause the action in the buttons. i use a macro program, named super-macro, in which i can send programs, orders, or anything, in a script, making pause between lines from 0 milliseconds to 60000 milliseconds, each pause different.

even without a programmed pause , the time to the order to go and back is about 500 milliseconds. with that i solved ALL the pause problems i had.

Hey Chris... if you're still looking, I made a new version of pseudoCase tonight, and you can download it here from the same link as before.

Here's the output from running with no options:[code][b]pseudoCase.exe v1.02

Copyright (C) 2005 Nobody, just fartin around by steje
Stejeverse - http://www.stejeverse.com

Usage: pseudoCase.exe [options] ["full path and filename"]

Options:
/D = Logs messages to console window, supresses actual rename

/E = Used to pass list of strings to EXCLUDE from the internal
     default word list (semicolon delimted)

/I = Used to pass list of strings to INCLUDE in addition to the
     internal default word list (semicolon delimted)

/L = Will dump the internal word list to the console followed
     by any INCLUDE or EXCLUDE strings passed to the program[/b][/code]You can include and exclude words/strings from being cased - though the program still expects All Words capped. I was waiting on posting something until I removed that expectation, but I've been so busy I just haven't had much time to mess around with it. So, I just patched up the word handling - see if this is useful for you.

The /L and /D switches both supress an actual renaming of the file, though /D still processes the filename and then dumps the original and (what would have been) new filenames to the console based on the parsing of the internal word list and whatever include/exclude strings you pass to it. The /D switch also adds a 5 second delay before the program exits... this should be plenty of time for you to be able to click on the console window that opens when the program runs in order to be able to 'pause' it and copy any 'debug' messages. This means you would need to remove any 'runmode hide' statement in a Dopus button that would 'normally' supress the console window in order to see the debug messages.

Edit Note- As I wrote this, I realized the delay thing isn't really necessary - you could probably just modify the button command so at the end of the pseudoCase command line and options you add a >>foobar.txt redirection to dump the console output to a file...

Absolutely I'm still interested! I've downloaded the program, but won't have time to test it until tonight or tomorrow sometime. Thanks a bunch!

By the way, I love the option to include or exclude words. Great idea! I have a lot of songs sung and titled in other languages, so when I create my final "music rename" button using your program, I can send it a bunch of German words with the "include" argument and even get my German songs title cased.

I'll write again when I've had a chance to play with it a bit. Thanks again!

--chriscrutch