Periodic crashes since last update

I'm getting periodic crashes since the last update to DOpus. The exact error is:

==================================================================================
Directory Opus has encountered a program error and
needs to close. We apologise for the inconvenience.

The error (0xC0000005) occurred in thread 'dopus_lister' as address 0x000000000775B3290.

Directory Opus needs to close, however you can choose to restart Directory Opus automatically.

Directory Opus restarts with no issues and will run happily for some time before crashing again.

It mainlky seems to occur when using the arrow buttons at the top of the lister to go up or back a directory. It will crash, restart at the same location, and will then let me navigate normally for a while before doing it again.

This is occurring on 2 desktops (both running Windows 7 64-bit) and a laptop (running Windows 8.1), and only seems to have started since the last update.

For the sheer hell of it (and the fact that it gave me a good exclude), I reinstalled one desktop and the laptop back to the new installation of Windows, and downloaded and installed Directory Opus before anything else, and the error persists.

It's not a show stopper, simply annoying when it occurs.

Am I the only one having this issue? Is there any way I can see what might be causing it (log files, etc.)?

Thanks in advance

Were any crash dumps generated when it happened?

Aha! Wondered if anything was generated.
Crashdump has been attached.

[Attachment removed after being downloaded.]

Thanks!

Unfortunately, the crash indicates something has corrupted the memory heap, so the dump only gives us a symptom and not the cause.

This could be a bug in Opus itself. We fixed one which was similar recently, so if you're not using the latest beta version (11.5.6), grabbing that may help.

It's also possible the bug is in a shell extension or similar 3rd party DLL which gets loaded into the Opus process. If that is the case, tracking it down can be quite difficult, and may amount to using ShellExView to disable shell extensions until the problem goes away.

If you can work out ways to reliably trigger the problem, or things that seem connected to it (e.g. viewing video files, particular folders, or particular columns in the file display) that can speed up diagnosing which component is causing it or, if it's in Opus itself, where the bug is in the code.

Thanks. I'll try the beta and see what happens.

As for reproducing it, it is completely random. It happens when i double click the desktop to open dopus, or when navigating through folders. Other times it can be happy navigating the same folder structure. I don't have the viewer panes open by default, once I have used them they are closed, and I haven't knowingly installed any third party viewers, but I'll giove shellExView a go as well.

Same is happening on the beta.
I'll try the shellexview and see how i get on from there.

Yipes! There are 262 shell extensions - I'll live with it crashing, I'm not sure i have that long to live!!!!!

You can usually ignore all the Microsoft ones, which should massively reduce the list you need to worry about.

Then it makes sense to disable them all (all the non-Microsoft, non-Opus ones), reboot and see if the problem still happens. If the problem does still happen, you know it wasn't being caused by any of the thing that was disabled. If the problem is gone, it was being caused by one of them; you can then re-enable half of them, reboot, and see if the one causing the problem is in that half or the other half. Repeat the process a few times and it should fairly quickly pinpoint a particular extension (or group of extensions from the same product; it's best to enable/disable related extensions from the same company/product as a group rather than individually).

Update:
Only things non-MS and Opus were:
DropboxExt
7-zip shell Extension
NVidia DesktopContextClass and CPL Content Menu Extension
PowerISO
ShellExtInitClass (from Vipre Internet Security).

Disabled all of them, rebooted and within the hour 3 crashes.

Decided one last time to reinstall a laptop (Windows-7 64-bit). Denied it access to the internet, didn't download any updates or service packs, didn't even install the proper drivers even for the graphics drivers (wow I forgot what low res was).

Installed Opus from a USB key and that was it - it crashed within 15 minutes when changing directories on the internal hard drive from My Documents to My Pictures.

Can't think what it can be now.

Ran ShellExView and only microsoft and Opus were showing.

Do you know which version did you started seeing the problem in, and the version you had before that?

Which version are you using now, if it's different? (Please use Help > About, then click the Copy button to put the full build number in the clipboard.)

If the crash happens when changing folders, and now that shell extensions have been ruled out, it might be triggered by one of the files in the folder you change to just before the crash (e.g. My Pictures in your example). If you can change to an empty folder and not see the problem, then it might be worth copying the files from My Pictures into that empty folder, first to check that the crash now affects the previously empty folder, and then to narrow down which file seems likely to be causing it. If you can find a file that causes the crash, we can see if it does the same for us and investigate from there.

BTW - Just upgraded tyo 11.6 this morning and it crashed immediately on opening after the update on an empty my documents folder - restarted opus and it has let me in.

Just got the update for 11.6 dialog when starting my desktop, clicked the update button (dopus didn't have any windows open). It got right to the end of the download and the same crash occurred without opening anything or even starting to install.

Please download the 11.6 update via our website and install from there.

The beta versions had a bug in the update checker, and it sounds like you are running into that.

Well, four reinstalls later, two complete Windows reinstalls on the laptop and desktop and the crashes are still occurring. Since updating to 11.6 i have now started getting another crash - this time an Unhandled Exception

Error 0xc0000005 in Thread 0x1660 at 0x00000000778C3290
Abort - Retry - Ignore

When does the new crash occur? Is any other information in the crash window, e.g. the titlebar saying which component has crashed.

Was there any other instability on your system that made you reinstall Windows twice, or just this?

If you can go to Help > About and click Copy, please paste the text it puts in the clipboard.

No, nothing else.
The windows reinstalls have simply been to try and fix the issue. I have a spare laptop and desktop that I have been using, simply to install Windows, Dopus and nothing else to try and find out what causes it.
Oddly enough, I have never had the Unhandled Exception until 11.6 went on. When I reinstalled and went back to 11.5 I returned just to the previous crashes. Put 11.6 back on and the unhandled exceptions srtarted to appear again.

It is really frustrating as there is no pattern to it. I haven't customised Opus and just use the basic explorer interface (no preview, single window, single folder tree), and browsing on diretories with no files in them (none hidden either), and sometimes it will crash, other times it will stay stable.

Both PC and laptop are different hardware builds - AMD and i5, different memory, different graphics - nVidia and ATI, etc.

I, too, have just started being plagued by Opus constantly terminating itself. Even with no listers open (two floating toolbars are on auto-hide), Opus crashes, within under a minute of the application launch.

I was editing a batch of Word documents & made a change to one of the file formats I use (removing bold-facing from the "Needs Work" label) when the crashing started. I subsequently applied the latest Windows updates & rebooted the machine, but it still is crashing.

I have a pile of dump-logs from Opus that I could send over. I also grabbed a dxdiag in case that might help. Please let me know if there's anything else I can try. Thank you!

In perusing the latest dump file I noticed text about an update to 11.7. Opus certainly thinks there's one out there but I cannot initiate the installation fast enough before it crashes. Is there an offline installer that I could download?

Never-mind. I really don't know where my brain is today. And the constant crashing seems to have stopped with 11.7.

I agree. I got the message about an 11.7 update and went to the website to get it. I have it installed on my test and main PCs and it is working fine again - used it heavily throughout the day and the crashing appears to have stopped.

Don't know what you did guys, but many thanks :slight_smile: