Power Mode Users?

I'm using Details mode with (de)selecting files with middle mouse button. I didn't find Power mode more handy, but maybe I overlook something.
What are your experiences with this mode, what reasons have you got to use it? What makes it better for you then other modes?

thanks for sharing your experiences!
fabb

I'm the same as you. I use Details mode and don't find I miss anything from Power Mode since the middle button lets me (de)select individual files without having to hold Ctrl like in Explorer.

I suspect Power Mode is mainly used by people used to other file managers (as well as other platforms, e.g. Opus on the Amiga) who want to re-create their mouse-button behaviours in Opus.

If you prefer the Windows/Explorer mouse-button behaviour (plus the handy middle button thing which Opus adds, which IMO solves the only real problem with Windows/Explorer's mouse setup) then you're not missing out on anything by ignoring Power Mode.

I'm a new convert from TC, and use Details mode myself.

Just the way I'm used to doing things, that's all. I will say that to me, that's one of the things that makes Opus such a great program, is it's ability to be tailored for most everyone's needs and habits. I really cannot give this program enough praise, a very superior piece of coding!

Hmmmm, when I use the middle mouse button in details mode it selects the file and then the directory jumps to the directory I was in before, as if I clicked the GO Back Button. Any idea what setting I need to change?

Probably your mouse button settings via Control Panel.

I use and prefer Power Mode. I guess in part because that's what I was used to on the Amiga, but I also find the notion of having holding down keys to make selections rather unnecessary... but that's me.

With the middle button in Details mode there's no need to hold down keys, although selection of ranges works a bit different to Power mode.

(MMB is so difficult to click on some mice that Power mode may still be preferable to some, of course, and there are still other differences between the modes which makes it a matter of personal taste. I'm just saying you don't have to use the keyboard at all in Details mode either.)

Thanks for clarifying, Leo.

That's right, dragging with MMB does only (de)select one file, that's a notable difference. Hmmm, but I could tell power mode to select with mmb, no?
I'll try this.

Thanks for your answers!

fabb

Leo,

I have a related to this topic question: How can I select separate files using keyboard to imitate a middle mouse button? When I use Ctrl and Shift keys simultaneously trying to select one file, two files are selected.

Thank you, Toller

Ctrl-Up/Down and Ctrl-Spacebar can be used to toggle-select individual files without changing the selection status of all the other ones (like Up/Down by themselves would do in Details mode).