Print / Export Folder Listing hangs

I am running DO 11.17 Pro Version x64 build 5829 on Windows 10 (which is up to date).

I have had mixed success with the Print/Export Folder Listing function. I have set the options to print to file .csv of a single folder containing 433 movie files and one sub-folder, flat view and no filter. I have setup the 8 fields to be listed.

I have got it to work with identical parameters but most of the time, it just does nothing. I have rebooted the system, restarted DO about 10 times and get the same lack of action. It just locks up on 0% and will stay that way for ever (at least an hour). I have looked through the manual and the board and can't spot anyone with the same problem.

Help!

Which fields are you printing? If you're printing any of the video metadata fields, it might be a codec locking up. If you change it to just print name/size/date does it behave differently?

You are right, I reduced the fields to the basics and it worked instantly. I then added in 'Dimensions' from the movies dropdown list and it locked up. I removed Dimensions and added Duration and got the same lockup.

Hmm, then it should at least fail more gracefully. BTW: When DO locks up, the only way I can kill it is by the Task manager.

The steps in the Crash, exit or high CPU when viewing certain directories FAQ can probably help to track down which codec is causing the issue.

I added only 'video codec' and the same lockup occurred.

There were no minidumps. DO was still 'running' in that the Task Manager had varying %CPU but DO wasn't doing anything.

The link to 'Crash, exit or high CPU when viewing certain directories' didn't seem useful. All files are playable so all are kosher. Is there way of something like right click/properties or similar to identify where DO is getting tripped up?

The FAQ lists things you can try under the "Main Information" section. Basically it's a matter of identifying the component that's locking up and removing or disabling it.

I started looking at individual files in a folder and DO locks up on all .avi files and some .MP4 if I include any one 'video' field. I have checked out if these files from a range of sources are properly formatted and they all check out 100%. It begs the question that DO should not lock up, regardless. It should say at least "Problems reading file xxx.yyy", surely?

It is not Opus that is locking up, but a video codec or splitter which is being called by indirectly, from Opus, to Windows, to the codec or splitter.

Opus does not know how to decode any video formats itself. Everything is done via the codecs & splitters installed on your system, and if one goes wrong then it will cause problems in whichever program is calling it.

Sometimes they only go wrong with certain files, or when called in particular ways and not when called in other ways (mainly due to luck or due to them only working well in some programs because they were tested with those programs).

On 64-bit Windows there is the added complication of there being separate 32-bit and 64-bit codecs and splitters (on top of the fact that many video players have built-in code for handling at least some formats, so not all programs are going to be relying on the same codecs).

The way to solve the problem is to work out which component is causing it. The FAQ can help with that.