Problem with drag and drop to toolbars (renamed thread)

Thank you very much for the detailed instructions Kenneth.

But itr does not work for me. When I drag and drop a command to a toolbar , (including "Remove from collection) it idoes not attach to the toolbar.

However I can remove a command, from a toolbar (I am brilliant) and according to the instructions "drag it back to this window". I would expect to see it listed under "All commands". But it isn't listed. It has gone.

I can move commands from one toolbar to another.

Something is wrong.

Brian

[edit by opusman: i have renamed this thread as it has nothing to do with File Collections]

[quote="kenalcock"]@Nudel

Would you please copy my post above to the FAQ section (and add anything other relevant details I may have missed)? Thanks[/quote]
I've moved the start of the thread to here:

[File collections - stupid question or)

and split off the rest of the thread into this topic so everyone can continue to reply. :slight_smile:

You can't ever remove an item from the All Commands list so it should still be there somewhere. Dragging items out of it to the toolbar copies them rather than moving them.

Watch the Toolbar Editing video tutorial to see exactly what you need to do.

If it isn't working then the problem may be solved by this FAQ: Unable to drag new buttons from Customize to Toolbars

You can't ever remove an item from the All Commands list so it should still be there somewhere. Dragging items out of it to the toolbar copies them rather than moving them.

Watch the Toolbar Editing video tutorial to see exactly what you need to do.

If it isn't working then the problem may be solved by this FAQ: Unable to drag new buttons from Customize to Toolbars

I followed the video. As before I can move existing buttons and commands from one menu to another. And when I try to darag and drop everything looks correct, except the command doesn't drop or attach to the menu.

And if I remove a command or button , it is no longer available in the lsit of commands.

So if they are not in the list of commands where could they be? Perhaps thwere is a connection between a) inability to drag commands to the toolbar and b) commands disappear when dragged and dropped from the toolbar to the Customise window listing all commands.

This does not look promising!
Brian

Did you try the .reg file in the FAQ I linked?

No, I haven't tried that.

First, Opus was installed subsequent to Nero. And I am not using Nero 7 referred to below, but to Nero 6.

From the link it states "We have just been made aware of this thread at the CDFreaks forum, that suggests that the Nero 7 installer incorrectly removes some crucial items from the system registry. These are COM class interface definitions that Opus relies on for its drag and drop functionality. If these elements are removed then problems like that described above could quite easily occur. "

Brian

Still might be worth a try since the problem sounds very similar.

[quote="briant"]No, I haven't tried that.

First, Opus was installed subsequent to Nero. And I am not using Nero 7 referred to below, but to Nero 6.
[/quote]

In the other thread where you mentioned this problem (posts concerning this have since been deleted for clarity on the other issue) - I gave you TWO links - one of which clearly points out that the same problem can be caused by a number of things.

[url]Drag & Drop does not work for files or when customizing toolbars]
[url]Can't drag and drop]

[quote="tanis"][quote="briant"]No, I haven't tried that.

[/quote]

In the other thread where you mentioned this problem (posts concerning this have since been deleted for clarity on the other issue) - I gave you TWO links - one of which clearly points out that the same problem can be caused by a number of things.

[url]Drag & Drop does not work for files or when customizing toolbars]

[url]Can't drag and drop][/quote]
I have checked the firstand read it. It refers to Nero 7. Not appplicable.

I have checked the second.
It refers to a regisatry cleaner. or bad install program.
I am using Norton Utilities if that is a registry cleaner. I have not insatlled any other programmes after Opus 8. Presumably you are not suggesting I should go through all progarmmes I have insatlled prior to Opus 8.

What would be constructive if I undertsand the second link is how to verify if "IStream COM" interface " is installed or not.

I don't know how to verify this. Can you let me know, please.

I am only a simple user of computers!

Brian

I'd say just give the registry file a try. It'll either fix the problem or have no effect.

The IStream registry keys should always be there and if something has damaged them then stuff will break and the .reg file will fix things.

If the registry keys are already correct then the .reg file will simply overwrite them with the same data, resulting in no overall change.

Generally you should be cautious running .reg files but the IStream one should be perfectly safe, at least for all current versions of Windows.

[quote="briant"]Presumably you are not suggesting I should go through all progarmmes I have insatlled prior to Opus 8.

What would be constructive if I undertsand the second link is how to verify if "IStream COM" interface " is installed or not.[/quote]

Of course I'm not suggesting you go through all programs. I am pointing out that contrary to your previous response this can be caused by things other than NERO - hence it's worthwhile trying the recommended fix for the problem. As nudel suggests - download the fix and try it - then come back if it's still no good...

As for Norton Utilities - who knows what terrible things it's done to your computer.

May I step in a bit :slight_smile:?

First off - two distinct 'toolbar' related issues eh?

1. He can't seem to drag commands from the Customize->Commands tab to the toolbar. Certainly "seems" to all of us like the iStream related issue. Which brian... you should know was not a "Nero" issue as much as something that this particular Nero version installer was "removing" from basic Windows system registry keys which Opus relies on to perform certain tasks like d~n~d to and from toolbars. As others have wondered out loud here - we're curious if something else on your system (maybe Norton Utils, etc - who knows) might have affected these same areas of Windows system registry data the way the early versions of Nero 7 used to...

2. He sees that if he drags "a button" from a toolbar, back to the Customize->Commands->All Commands page, that the button is removed from the toolbar and does NOT appear in the list of All Commands. Take a step back... Just WHAT toolbar buttons are you dragging from the toolbar? Many toolbar buttons are not EXACTLY commands in the commands list. Some are "three button" buttons, some might be custom buttons you created yourself. These will NOT be "added" to the All Commands list. For instance, I have an "Enqueue in foobar2000" button on my toolbar. If I drag it to the Customize window, sure enough it gets removed from the toolbar, but it will NOT actually get added to the All Commands list... I think THAT is what he's seeing?

We could always count the commands in the 'All Commands' list and make sure he's not actually "missing" anything that's supposed to be there... I stopped half way through the list at 100+ so... :slight_smile:.

This is meaningless - commands never leave the All Commands list in the first place. You don't just have one instance of each command, and once you've dragged it out of customise it's gone until you put it back. The commands listed in All Commands never change*.

* Except for User commands - User commands you create are added to this list, and removed when you delete them. But again, just dragging them to a toolbar doesn't remove them from this list

Ah, I think Steje has it.

I (and I think Jon) thought Briant was talking about dragging a command from All Commands to the toolbar and having it removed from the All Commands list. In fact he was talking about doing the opposite.

Having read what Steje wrote, then reading the original post again, I understand now. :slight_smile: I got confused by the "it has gone" which suggested it was in the last before and isn't anymore; but the command was simply never in the list (at least with the same name).

Briant is expecting to move a button from the toolbar into the All Commands list.

That isn't how it works. The All Commands list is a fixed list of buttons that you can drag copies of to your toolbar.

Dragging a button from a toolbar to the Customize window (doesn't matter if you drop on the All Commands list or not) is simply a way to delete the button from the toolbar. The button isn't moved from toolbar to All Commands; it's just deleted from the toolbar.

So there's one problem here and not two. Buttons cannot be dragged from the customize dialog to a toolbar, but there isn't an issue with buttons being removed from the All Commands list. (Nor an issue with buttons not being added to the All Commands list since they're not supposed to be.)

Steje and Nudel

I was assuming all buttons were commands e..g the buttons on the Nero Toolbar. So i dragged one from the Nero Tool bar into the All commands list expecting to see it.
That is not how it is supposed to work. In the Nero case thwe icon "Burn Audio" isn't a command but a button. And if I drag it to the All commands list, I won't see it there. OK I can live with that. But some of the commands "Convert Images " look very similar to the "Burn Audio" button.

Thwe real problem as you point out is that I cant drag a command to a toolbar and I really need the "Remove from collection". And thanks to Steje's explanation I will try the remedy based on my problem being an "Istream" related issue.

Is Opus the only programme that uses these system registry keys, or should I notice problems in other areas iof they have been removed?

As I have been told that it cannot lead to any further problems I owe it you gentleman to try and bring things to a happy end. Where I could start using Opus 8 for the the purposes I bought it. Assuming I can solkve my other multiple drive problem.

Thanks again.

Brian

"I see!" said the blind man... and that my friends is the value of not browsing the forums too much lately :slight_smile:. You get to read a full topic with a fresh pair of eyes... and then make "meaningless" observations about it (thanks for the vote of confidence Jon :wink:).

Briant... while I think we should all find out why you can't 'drag' commands to a toolbar to create new buttons, in the meantime to get you by and working with File Collections the way you'd like, just:

• click RMB on a toolbar and select 'Customize' mode
  • click RMB on the toolbar again and select 'New->New Button'
  • click RMB on the new button you've created and select 'Edit'
  • in the 'Command Editor' dialog window that appears, paste Delete REMOVECOLLECTION into the 'Function' field.

DONE

All buttons are commands. An Opus toolbar button contains at least one command, possibly even several (if they didn't, they wouldn't do anything when you clicked on them). Any place in Opus you see a button or a menu item, it's a command (called a raw command) that makes it work. You can edit each of these buttons and see the raw command that makes each of them work.

Exactly, this is not how it is supposed to work. You cannot drag buttons (which do contain commands) to the All commands list. None of us can, nor would we want to. Think about how you tell Opus what to do for you. You do not execute a command by clicking on the All commands list. You execute them by clicking on a toolbar button or a menu item.

The All Commands contains what are called Predefined Commands--they were built from raw commands and provided by GP Software to offer the most commonly required commands to new users. This way, a new user doesn't have to learn raw command syntax at first, since the most common commands have already been predefined as pre-packaged buttons. Consider the All Commands as the "default" buttons that have been pre-packaged to start you off. They are a subset of a much larger list of raw commands.

This isn't quite correct. You need to change your thinking here. Toolbar Button = one or more commands. Nero "burn Audio" is a command, but it is an external command--Nero is not part of Opus, but Opus can run Nero from inside a toolbar button.

You will not see it anywhere after that. This action is how you delete a toolbar button. This behavior is exactly the same as in some other applications that allow you to customize their toolbar and menus (like Microsoft Office applications for example). In these applications, and in Opus, you cannot drag commands from a toolbar to the commands list and expect to see them added to it. The command list is only displayed when you are in Customize mode, and dragging to the list only deletes the button.

This is purely coincidental. There are far more raw commands than there are icons to symbolize them. This is why a good toolbar button also makes use of a Name and Tool-Tip description to identify what it actually does.

Yes you do, but you have bigger issues to address first. I would get Opus working correctly on your system before actually customizing it further or playing around with File Collections.

Still, you should actually already have this command--it's just hidden. If you hover your mouse over the Delete button (with the big Red "X" icon) that came on the default Opus toolbar. You should see a tool-tip letting you know that it is actually a multi-function button. The left-click (LMB) command is the regular Delete which would destroy your folder or file when used inside of a File Collection. The right-click command (RMB) should be the Remove From Collection command.

The drag and drop (from All Commands to a toolbar) is the real issue here. However, since I cannot help you with this issue, I'll leave it for those more in the know about it. If it were me, I would rebuild my system over, or at a bare minimum use System Restore to roll back to a known working point. You have gnomes running around your system mucking things up, but I don't believe Opus is one of them.

Just out of curiosity, are trying to drag from the All commands list to the other command lists that are listed in Category list of the Customize dialog are you? If so, this is not where you drag them to. You drag them to the actual toolbar in the Opus lister window behind the Customize dialog.

Thank you
steje
nudel
tanis
Kenalock
Jon

The ISTREAM downlaod did indeed (so far) resolve the problem of not being able to drag and drop commands/buttons to tool bars. I have my "Remove from collection" highly visible.

I had an incorrect understanding of the process of removing commands/buttons from the tool bar as I didnt make the disticntion between customsied buttons and pre-defined . I thought they would all be located in the ALL commands list. Now I know.

In retrospect, I was facing multiple problems and my innate caution led me to reject the proposed solution of try this, particaulrly as it seemd to be referring mainly to Nero 7. I was wrong.

So thank you once again, apologies for space I have taken up. I better keep out of Australia until after the next test series!

Opus can start working for me now as I start trying to fix the USB drive problems. But that is another thread.

Brian

np

For the record - SOME applications toolbars I've seen DO indeed work in the way which was being mistaken here. I 'think' old versions of Opera used to work like that, and current versions still allow you to drag buttons from a toolbar to a 'My Buttons' category; presumably for use later on if the button is something you 'downloaded or installed' from the net.