Request Outlook .msg plugin please

My Manager is just about to buy 5 licenses for DOpus and it's only fault is not reading MSG files in the File Viewer.
This plugin would make it near perfect.

Have the DOpus team ever worked on one or am I missing it?

A .msg viewer which works in Opus comes with Windows Vista, Windows 7 and also Outlook 2007 & 2010, if that helps.

I'm not aware of an alternative viewer for people still using older versions of Windows / Office.

[quote="leo"]A .msg viewer which works in Opus comes with Windows Vista, Windows 7 and also Outlook 2007 & 2010, if that helps.

I'm not aware of an alternative viewer for people still using older versions of Windows / Office.[/quote]

That does help but how does it work?
In our directories we will have doc, docx, xls, xlsx, pdf, txt, jpg and now msg.
We can scroll down the list while seeing the files in the DOpus Viewer so how do we get to see the msg files without double clicking them?

Thanks

If it doesn't work automatically, it's possible that Outlook only installs the viewer on Vista and above.

(Which I guess would make sense. Outlook is the only thing that might use the viewer on XP, and Outlook knows how to display .msg files itself without using the viewer. On Vista and above, Outlook installs the viewer to let Explorer view .MSG files, and MS probably don't care about other tools (like Opus) that also support the same types of viewers on XP...)

If that's the case then I'm not sure if there is a solution for Windows XP. Outlook's viewer might work on XP if you manually install it, but I haven't tried that so cannot say.

Don't forget, QuickView Plus is always an option when wanting to view msg files.

File Viewing Program | View, Copy, Search and Print Virtually Any File with Quick View Plus

It can also work with DOpus.

I'm not sure if QuickView installs its preview handler(s) on XP, or if it only does so on Vista and above. (It may do, as my memory is rusty, and it may have changed since I last tried it anyway.)

Does it definitely handle .msg files? I had a quick scan of its site before and didn't see .msg mentioned, but maybe I was looking in the wrong place/category.

Well since our Hospital Trust has no plans to upgrade the OS on 3,500 computers it looks like we have to hope that DOpus Developers see this post and may have something already planned.

Thanks

QuickView Plus can certainly handle .msg files. I tried it before posting my message.

I have also just tried it in XP. I didn't have QuickView Plus installed on that PC. I am pleased to report that QuickView Plus can display msg files in XP. And I don't even have Outlook on that PC.

Unfortunately, the XP PC also lacks DOpus. (I don't have a spare licence I can try.) So I don't know about the integration with QuickView Plus.

Adding QuickView Plus seems to me to be the only sane option.

After all, XP has just celebrated its official 10th birthday. While there may be a lot of XP machines out there, the idea that software writers should put any effort into "mending" something for XP that works out of the box with more recent software strikes me as unrealistic.

[quote="michaelkenward"]
After all, XP has just celebrated its official 10th birthday. While there may be a lot of XP machines out there, the idea that software writers should put any effort into "mending" something for XP that works out of the box with more recent software strikes me as unrealistic.[/quote]
Why unrealistic, if there are many XP machines out there? If they are happy with xp, why not make them still more happy with DO?
Do not look for MS's business, look for what customers desire!

XP only has ~2.5 years left before MS stop producing security patches for it, so people should at least be thinking about migrating from it now.

XP's market share is still important, for sure, but fewer and fewer people are using it as time goes on. With only limited resources and a million different requests and ideas, the changes that only benefit XP users are becoming less and less viable. It usually makes more sense to choose work that will benefit everyone (XP, Vista, Win7 and soon Win8 users combined), and that will be useful to people for a longer time.

Of course, GPSoftware aren't the only people who could write a .msg viewer plugin for WinXP+Opus. There is an SDK. :slight_smile:

Do we know that Opus and QuickView Plus don't work happily together in XP, just as they do in other environments.

If QuickView Plus works as a msg viewer in XP, what's to say that Opus won't join in the fun?

Push me, and for the hell of it I will put a trial version of Opus on my XP machine and see if it works with QuickView Plus.

And while we are talking about old versions of Windows, how about a version that works with a machine that has Windows 98? (The last one that supports my LPT scanner.) I may even have the disks for Windows 3.1 lying around somewhere.

I don't know for sure. It'd be worth a try...

OK. Challenge taken.

I installed DOpus 10 on my XP machine that also has QuickView Plus. I can report that DOpus can display msg files just fine in its viewer.

I do not know if DOpus could do it without QuickView Plus, but at least we have a solution for anyone who insist on, or is forced into, using a 20th century operating system.

Happy to run any more tests on the XP box in the period before the DOpus trial times out.

hi, i did some testing on Windows XP-SP3 and without QuickViewPlus:
First i correctly installed a full version of Excel 2007 and of Outlook 2007. The latter is a prerequisite (system requirement) for the XP-PreviewHandlersPack to work! Then i correctly installed the XP-PreviewHandlersPack. The following screenshot makes it clear, a Preview Handler for XLS files is installed (see the top entry "MS Office Excel-Vorschau", this was created automatically by the installation of Excel 2007!) whereas no Preview Handler for MSG files is installed by the installation of a full version of Outlook 2007 (there is no such :cry: entry as "MS Office Outlook E-Mails-Vorschau"!).

With the above settings, i can preview XLS files...

...but MSG files dont work in the viewer pane. You could tell that the viewer pane tries to load the MSG file (and tries to display/preview it) .. but the total result is zilch. Nada. Nothing.

While it is obvious that you need Excel on your XP-system to be able to preview XLS-files, having Outlook 2007 on your XP-system will not let you preview MSG-files, for 2 independent reasons:

1. Azar's XP handlers do not officially support MSG files (yet).
  2. As outlined above, such a thing as "MS Office Outlook E-Mails-Vorschau" is not being installed. At least not on a XP-system.

Now what happens when we uninstall all MS Office 2007 stuff?

The "MS Office Excel-Vorschau" handler vanishes and previewing Excel files is not possible anymore "although" XLS is listed in the following dialogue:

Summary:
If someone wants to preview MSG files from within Dopus (i.e. in the Dopus viewer pane), he/she
ALT1: must install WinVista (or Win7) (with?without? Outlook 2007+), or
ALT2: must install QuickViewPlus (on WinXP, WinVista, Win7) without any Outlook 2007+