Running opus from a usb drive

1. I currently am running in the eval version. Is it possible to install opus on a usb hard disk and hook it to any pc and have it work. I find that if I just copy the opus folder to my usb 20 gig drive it works but it always asks for the certificate.

I understand the licensing involved in this configuration. I mostly use OPUS from my usb drive which I carry around.

1. Is it possible to configure opus to view ms publisher files and other files?

Thanks, this is truly the BEST Explorer replacement and File Management solution for Windows!!

John Cesta

Actually, Opus is one of the 0.0000001% of Windows utilities that will run quite happily without being officially "installed". It will set all its registry entries up by itself if they don't already exist.

If you copy the stock certificate as well (stockcert.txt) this will give you 30 days on the new machine before you need to enter the certificate. After that, you will need to install the certificate manually - there's no way around this. And also note the licencing model of Opus is a "per-install" one, and this also counts when you haven't "officially installed" it :slight_smile:

Also of course if you run Opus this way you won't be able to uninstall it automatically - you will need to delete files and registry entries yourself.

I'm not sure - if the free Microsoft Office viewers support MS Publisher (or, if there's a separate activex viewer client for MS Pub) then Leo's Office Documents viewer will support them.

You can check whether the Docs plugin will view Publisher files by going to Preferences, Plugins, then selecting ActiveX Document and clicking Configure.

Drop a Publisher file on the configuration dialog and it will attempt to view it using the plugin. If it works you just need to add the appropriate extension(s) to the list in the same dialog.

If it doesn't work let me know and I may be able to address it. As a general rule, if you can drop a file on an IE window and show it in there then you should be able to view it with the Docs plugin, but there are still some exceptions.

nudel,

The publisher files don't work when dragged to the activex configure window.

Thanks,

John Cesta

Jon, does that mean, that i could make DOpus work from a usb memory stick as well? If I copy my DOpus folder to the memory stick, then I could run it right away.

If yes, does this on the other hand mean, that when invoking the 30-days certificate on that machine where i use the mem stick the first time, if doing this 31 days later again, i would have to use a real valid licence?

Pascal

Yes, that's right. Just make sure you include the entire contents of the Directory Opus program folder. The stock certificate will be picked up if no other certificate is installed, and you'll get 30 days on that machine from that point on before a new certificate is needed.

Make sure you don't copy the dopus.cert file as this is the installed copy of your real certificate and it won't work on any other machine.

I need this to work aswell. I often work on other peoples computers, and sometimes I really need DOpus.

I would be more than happy to buy another license for my flash drive install, but I can't buy a new license for every computer I load the flashdrive into. Most of the time, I only need to use it on that computer once.

Support for a hardware independent "mobile" license/certificate would be appreciated.

Having posted a similar thread, I was directed to this thread.
I've tried simply copying the DOpus files to a USB drive as explained here, but this doesn't really class DOpus as a 'portable' app.
First up, it's not truly portable if it starts changing registry settings on the target PC requiring a full uninstall to remove them.
Second, even if you do copy the files over, you still have the nasty job of re-configuring your prefs, or re-importing prefs all over again.
And if you are in the habit of changing prefs (as you learn more about DOpus), then you have to remember to re-export to keep your USB drive properly synced.
I am not quite so interested in being able to run DOpus on multiple PC's (although that does sound great), but as part of my work I need to make sure that I can be up and running on a replacement PC (ie: rebuild etc) ASAP, and am not permitted to alter the 'company ghost image' so that DOpus is on it. Unfortunately, as I need to rebuild regularly, reinstalling and re-importing prefs on my rebuild is not fun.
It would be SO much better if DOpus could be 'self contained'... so I could be up and running again with a minimum of fuss.
Please, please please make DOpus XML (ie: file based config) ONLY.

Well, I consider importing a single file pretty 'minimum-fuss' and do it pretty often as I like to keep my own ghost images up to date. That said... some apps (UltraEdit) have options to control how certain prefs are stored (registry or file based). Might be nice for some ppl here too...

I agree with 'naughtygaz', please make Dopus XMLfile-based. It would be really nice to use it from my USB. I always carry around my USB, and I have most of my programs there.

I am a licensed user (two-computer) but becuase of Dopus not being portable (to be portable the software must use filesettings, according to me) I have looked for another solution. But nothing comes close to Dopus, Dopus is the best.

I really want to use Dopus from my USB-drive.

/Peter

I'm a new user currently evaluating DO. I must say that at this point in my eval, DO blows the doors off anything else I've used. I'm a long time Total Commander user and am finding the transition quite acceptable, even with the huge investment I have in TC. DO is very nice product.

But all is not perfect. :slight_smile:

USB stick support is huge. I rely on it heavily and use programs ranging from lightweight apps (TC) to .NET based (Ultra Recall). The registry thing is a monster and there really is no reason for this excuse for an ini file. I hope GPS dumps this stuff as many others have and releases a real, viable USB solution.

Meanwhile I'm hooked.

[quote="maynard"]I'm a new user currently evaluating DO. I must say that at this point in my eval, DO blows the doors off anything else I've used. I'm a long time Total Commander user and am finding the transition quite acceptable, even with the huge investment I have in TC. DO is very nice product.

But all is not perfect. :slight_smile:

USB stick support is huge. I rely on it heavily and use programs ranging from lightweight apps (TC) to .NET based (Ultra Recall). The registry thing is a monster and there really is no reason for this excuse for an ini file. I hope GPS dumps this stuff as many others have and releases a real, viable USB solution.

Meanwhile I'm hooked.[/quote]

Count me in as another user interested in a trully portable Dopus.
In the meantime, I'll have to use my second best filemanager when on the go, which is not ideal.

I have to tag onto this. I use a usb flash drive a lot and could use DOPUS. I have two licenses of DOPUS and would gladly pay for another to use it on a USB Flash Disk!

We will definitely be addressing this request in the next major release of Opus.

As I read in a post, I copied all the contents in the USB key, but when I try to install the license certificate I can’t because don’t have administrative rights in the computer.

How I can run Directory Opus from a USB key (I have a U3 version, but I tried too in a no U3 version)?

I read too that you will include this feature in the next version. When do you expect to release it?

The current Opus 8 is not supported to run from a USB drive. USB and U3 support will be available in the next version.

We never discuss release dates for software. The next version will be available when it's available:)

Upgrades will be available for all registered users either free if you have purchased after December 1 2006 or at a significant discount from the RRP for all other existing users.

Thank you Greg and Jon for addressing this request. I am fully ready to upgrade as soon as I find out about the new version. Only one request, please make it truly portable. I could care less about U3 as I don't really like it; that's why I request it be portable. It is possible to make a portable app that works on both with no problems. Anyway, that's my simple little request. Thanks.

Leland
:smiley: