Since DO10 first start took very long

I've sent you a PM with it.

Thanks Leo, but in the meantime: Complete uninstall and new install v10.0.1.0, restored settings, everything fine. :bulb:

I have seen the same thing as Sasa since Dopus 10 was released.

The first launch (Win+E) takes approx 4-5 seconds on my system when i have started Windows 7 64-bit. All subsequent launches are lightning fast, under one second. The next day, when i start my computer the very first launch takes 4-5 seconds while all subsequent launches are lightning fast, under one second. I see this on two computers, with or without SP1 installed. So it seems to happen only on a computer that is newly started. If i re-boot the computer i see the same issue again.

The installs have two thing in common:

1. I have used Backup & Restore and did restore the settings from Dopus 9 (Latest version)
  2. In the Preferences, i have unchecked "Launch Directory Opus automatically on system startup". (I used the same settings in Dopus 9)

Version 10.0.1.0.4185.x64 installed today.

Any solution?

By default, Opus stays running in the background once started. That probably explains what you are seeing.

See the FAQ on exiting Opus.

[quote="leo"]By default, Opus stays running in the background once started. That probably explains what you are seeing.

See the FAQ on exiting Opus.[/quote]
Yes, i assumed that the "Launch Directory Opus automatically on system startup" had to do with it since it is not running in the BG, making the first launch takes longer than expected.

If i now check "Shutdown Directory Opus when the last..." i get the same results every time, ie long launch times for DOpus. (Slightly faster though...)

But, why do i see this in DOpus 10 while not seeing it in DOpus 9, with the same settings, on the same machine, on the same OS/Updates? What did actually change between version 9 and 10 when it comes to first launch? :slight_smile:

I have an SSD drive and applications launch lightning fast, thats why i notice this. All MS Office 2010 applications launch faster than DOpus 10. I dont think that the first launch of DOpus 10 is to be expected since DOpus 9 dont have this issue, so where/how do i file a bug report regarding this? Is it maybe already on the radar by the DOpus team?

/Roger

Try some of the things in this FAQ to see if you can narrow down what is causing the slow start:

Backing up your configuration, then resetting to a default config may also be worth a try. If it's still slow even then, you could try going back to Opus 9 (also with a default config) to prove that changing Opus versions was actually the difference (it's possible but it is almost never the actual cause).

I did go back to Opus 9. With the default settings it launches after approx 1 second, as to be expected on my system.

This is how i did it:
I un-installed Opus 10 > re-started the computer > re-installed Opus 9 > re-started the computer.
Result: Opus 9 open within one second with Win+E.

Then i did this:
I un-installed Opus 9 > re-started the computer > re-installed Opus 10 > re-started the computer.
Result: Opus 10 open after 4 - 5 seconds with Win+E, ie as slow as earlier indicated by Sasa and me. Subsequent launches are lightning fast though, so it is the first launch that is the problem here. Note that i did not use the Backup & Restore to restore my old settings in Opus 9 nor in Opus 10, so i used only the default settings, but the option to start Opus on system startup. So, there is indeed a difference between Opus 9 and Opus 10 when it comes to first launch.

Versions used:
Opus 9 version: 9.5.6.0
Opus 10 version: 10.0.1.0.4192x64

I got myself a good laugh since my speakers was turned up quite loud, so i did here the duck's "kvack" during un-install! ha-ha :slight_smile:

/Roger

(It's not happening for Sasa anymore (see above).)

Okay, so try some of the suggestions in the FAQ I linked that might be relevant. e.g. Run Process Monitor and see what is being accessed in those four seconds.

[quote="leo"](It's not happening for Sasa anymore (see above).)

Okay, so try some of the suggestions in the FAQ I linked that might be relevant. e.g. Run Process Monitor and see what is being accessed in those four seconds.[/quote]
Maybe this log file can help: dl.dropbox.com/u/19880923/Logfile.PML

I don't really know what to look for or how to interpret it. :unamused:

/Roger

I can't see anything obvious from the log, but there is a ~2.5second delay where dopus.exe isn't doing anything and is presumably waiting for some resource to become available.

Make sure Dropbox is up-to-date, as people have had issues with that in the past (and from the log I can see it has shell extensions loaded into dopus.exe).

Some suggestions (in order of the amount of time they'll take to try):

Try turning off the folder tree.

Try changing the start folders.

Try disabling all viewer plugins.

Try disabling non-Microsoft shell extensions using ShellExView (there's a link to it in the FAQ).

Hello!

As I mentioned after reinstall the problem was solved. BUT: I restored my system with Acronis (incl. starting delay of DO), also reinstalled DO but again DO needs up to 10 sec (!) on first start.

Sure, when autostart is disabled, DO needs longer time to start first. But why when autostart is enabled? It's like just only dblclk on desktop is enabled. Maybe on some sys autostart doesn't really load DO. And why following starts are as fast as all the time before?

A reinstall solved the problem only once a time for me, this indicates there's something wrong in DO. I'm not sure if importing settings from DO9 may cause this. There're so much changes and you can find some settings/files in the config which are not in use anymore. But I don't have the time to build up the settings new on a frehs install, this is really hard work! Altough I think this would be the cleanest solution.

I really agree with Roger, it NEVER took such a long time - not when autostart was disabled in DO9, not in DO10 Beta.

Please, Leo, resend me the link to the beta released before the last one to test. Thank you.

The old beta doesn't seem worth trying when the current version worked fine for you before you restored your computer to its old configuration.

It seems unlikely that the code to Opus itself is the issue when you've had it working both quickly and slowly with identical Opus code and what actually changed was the OS install, settings, etc. on your computer.

It also seems like there is some confusion about what the startup/auto-start options in Opus do. Please use Task Manager to check whether or not dopus.exe is already running before launching it, then see if it's only "slow" when it wasn't running before and "fast" when it was. If so then that explains at least half of what you are seeing.

And if an uninstall + reinstall of Opus solved things before, then it's probably something in your Opus configuration. e.g. Things pointing at slow or broken network paths, perhaps.

Did some tests again (which means reboot, reboot, reboot,...):

I reinstalled DO10 completely. On a fresh install with just autostart enabled DO behaves normal and starts quick.

Then imported configuration, which originally based on the config of DO9. Sometimes (after each reinstall) DO started quick, sometimes not.

The procedure in detail:

1. Complete remove of DO
  2. Fresh install, just set to autostart
  3. DO starts quick after each reboot
  4. Imported my settings
    -> after 4 tests DO started fast only one time.

@Leo: Noting, really nothing, has been changed in my sys. Neither paths nor something else which could cause this. Please see my previous post.

I think I'll completely renew the settings based on default settings, but I don't know when I have the time to do this.

Nothing except your Opus configuration. :slight_smile: So it's not the version of Opus but the config, it seems. Which makes sense as the version of Opus didn't change when you reinstalled everything and things started working.

I touched on the possibility that it's your Opus config in my last paragraph, with some ideas. For other ideas of what may be slowing things down, see here.

Yes, it's the config, but why the hell did it work before while nothing has been changes except updating DO? And it seems to be not the same issue Roger have.

As I said, I will completely renew the config, also, because there're "fragments" of useless things coming from older v9.

My, possibly flawed, reasoning suggests that you have customised something in a way that clashes with the new version of DOpus.

Track down the bits in your version 9 configuration that might slow things down – possibly following Leo's earlier suggestions – and you may find something.

Alternatively, save your current configuration, reset DOpus to its defaults, and then restore the old set up a step at a time.

For example, bring in your Toolbars in groups until DOpus seizes up.

You may not need to reboot between tests. Just ensure that you shut down the processes that DOpus invokes oin its first launch.

[quote="leo"]
Make sure Dropbox is up-to-date, as people have had issues with that in the past (and from the log I can see it has shell extensions loaded into dopus.exe).
Some suggestions (in order of the amount of time they'll take to try):
Try turning off the folder tree.
Try changing the start folders.
Try disabling all viewer plugins.
Try disabling non-Microsoft shell extensions using ShellExView (there's a link to it in the FAQ).[/quote]
Dropbox is not the issue since the laptop don't have it installed.

I tried all suggestions mentioned abowe, but the ShellExView. The problem persist though.

For extra testing i changed the system drive and did a fresh clean install of Win 7, updated it to SP1 and did a image backup of it. I used Windows Backup And Restore feature to back up and restore Windows, so no third party app.

I then installed Opus 9 = First launch is lightning fast without the auto start enabled.
I then used the image backup to recover Windows to a fresh install again. I then installed Opus 10 = Takes long time to do a first launch when auto start is disabled.

So, i can reproduce this on a fresh install of Windows with no other apps installed. I did not import any old settings, i used Opus "out-of-the-box" settings.

Conclusion: The issue is Opus 10.

/Roger

Try this:

• Go to C:\
  • Turn off the folder tree, and any other panels (viewer, find, metadata, etc.), extra folder tabs, second file display, etc.
  • Right-click the blank space on a toolbar and choose Toolbars -> Reset to Default Toolbars.
  • Use Settings -> Set as Default Lister.
  • Restart Opus. (You should get a basic window showing C:, with no tree and just the default toolbars.)

Is that still slow? If not, there may be something in the folder tree (or My Computer if that was shown in the lister, or drive buttons if they were added to the toolbars) which is causing a delay the first time Opus tries to inspect it. Maybe something Opus 9 ignored that Opus 10 now includes.

The only other things I can think of are really obscure & unlikely to help. (Assuming we're only talking about a completely vanilla setup/config. i.e. No file collections left over from previous usage, etc.)

[quote="leo"]

• Go to C:\
  • Turn off the folder tree, and any other panels (viewer, find, metadata, etc.), extra folder tabs, second file display, etc.
  • Right-click the blank space on a toolbar and choose Toolbars -> Reset to Default Toolbars.
  • Use Settings -> Set as Default Lister.
  • Restart Opus. (You should get a basic window showing C:, with no tree and just the default toolbars.)[/quote]
    Yes, it is still slow but i am unsure if i did everything correctly, especially regarding the folder tree, other panels (viewer, find, metadata, etc.), extra folder tabs, second file display, etc. :unamused:

This is what i see:

/Roger