Slow folder reading after installing Archicad 17

I have just encountered a weird problem that is affecting the performance of DOPus (v10.5.2.0).

I use Graphosoft Archicad as my architectural CAD software on Windows 7 (64bit), and have used DOpus for many years (in a dual folder window arrangement) without an issue. After just recently installing the new version of Archicad (17), I noticed that DOpus had become really slow at populating the folder windows (5 seconds) whereas it used to happen almost instantly as soon as I clicked on a folder in the tree.

I confirmed this by testing DOPus on my laptop (worked fine), then installed Archicad 17. Even if Archicad is not running, DOpus opens and ...waits... then folders appear in the windows. I unistalled Archicad 17 and DOpus reverted to its normal snappy behaviour.

I still have the previous version of Archicad (v16) installed and everything is as it should be. I suspect that something is installed with Archicad 17 (Java and Wibukey security software) that may be affecting DOPus. I was able to check another file manger program (Magellan Explorer) and it was not affected at all by the Archicad installation, and performed quickly as usual.

I will notify Graphisoft of the problem, but I wanted to bring it to your attention in case you have any suggestions as to how I might troubleshoot the issue.

Thanks,
Graeme

Is Windows Explorer similarly affected when viewing the same folders?

(If it is only slow the first time you read the folder then you might need to reboot to check Explorer if the folders have already been read by Opus, of course. If it's always slow then there's no need to reboot.)

Hi Leo,
Windows Explorer is not slow. DOpus is slow for every read of a folder, as I open them. If I close DOpus and then re-open it, it is still slow - for the initial load and subsequent clicks on folders. It seems to perform normally for file copy operations. It is just the reading of the folders that is slow - even if the folder is empty.

Try using ShellExView to disable any shell extensions related to ArchiCAD to see if they are causing the slowdown.

Details in the Crash, exit or high CPU when viewing certain directories guide.

Hi Leo,

I apprecaite your response on a Sunday. I tried the ShellExView utility and disabled the Graphisoft Shell Extensions. This solves the problem!! DOpus works perfectly now.
So can you explain what this shell extension is, and how will it affect Archicad? Does ShellExView disable permanently or do I have to do this very time I reboot the PC?

Regards,
Graeme

I'm not familiar with ArchiCAD so you'll have to ask Graphisoft what their shell extensions do & why they might be causing such a delay.

Extensions disabled using ShellExView should stay disabled until you enable them again, even across reboots. (It's also possible they'll be re-enabled if you update or reinstall the software that the extensions are part of, but if that happens just use ShellExView to disable them again.)

Okay - thanks very much for figuring this out.
Graeme