Slow performance when changing folders...help!

Hello.

I'm using Dopus v9.5.6.0 x64. It's installed on a Windows 7 H.P. x64 SP1 machine with the following core specs:

• Core i5 M540 2.53Ghz processing
  • 6GB DDR3 RAM @ 1333Mhz
  • Intel X-25M 80GB SSD Drive
  • Etc., etc., etc. :slight_smile:

Note: I utilize a dual pane lister setup and a "List" view mode basically 100% of the time.

My problem is that it's now taking 1 to 2 seconds every time on every folder for Dopus to show its contents in my lister. It happens whenever I change folders - regardless of the method chosen - i.e. - double-clicking the empty space inside a lister, using the "Back" or "Forward" buttons or selecting a folder via the Folder Tree. This happens even if the folder is empty and even if it's the same folder I just came from (ex. using the "Back" button).

This has not been an issue until recently and, at this point, Windows Explorer is out-performing Dopus! That's not good.

Could there be any primary reasons - or most likely reasons - as to why this is happening? I don't recall having this problem with any prior releases of Dopus. I updated to the latest version a week or 2 ago but everything appeared to be running smoothly at that time. I didn't really begin to notice any issues until recently.

The only changes I made is that I changed the Dopus preference to not calculate folder sizes automatically. However, for whatever reason, it's still calculating folder sizes automatically since I continuously see the info actively updating in my status bar. Unless there's another preference setting I've missed, I have no idea why it's still calculating folder sizes - OR - if that's the root cause of my performance problem.

If anyone could offer some advice on the issue, I'd really appreciate it. With a 64-bit system and a 64-bit app, combined with an SSD drive with approx. 1 millisecond access times, you'd think Dopus would fly. I guess not...for now anyway.

Thanks in advance for your help!

If you haven't already, have a read of these FAQs in case they are relevant. If they don't help, let us know and we can think of more things to try.

Calculate Folder Sizes Automatically -- Explains how to prevent folder sizes being calculated. Note that there is a global setting in Preferences and then per-folder overrides of that setting in Folder Formats. Also note that if you have turned on columns which display the number of child folders/files then they will force the sizes to be calculated (as Opus is being forced to list all children anyway when those columns are on).

That may be all you need to speed things up. If not, try some of the suggetions in Crash, exit or high CPU when viewing a certain directory, particularly using ShellExView to see which shell extensions you have installed. Are there any shell extensions you can see which came with something you installed/changed recently?

Some shell extensions have been known to try to contact a network server every time you change directory, for example. (I think it was a source-control extension which did this in the past.)