Sorry again 10 slowdown

I know this has been gone over and over, I have gone over the posts and tried most if not all the offered fixes. Uninstall reinstall etc. Now I have reinstalled 9 and every thing is working fine. With dopus 10 after a new install everything works fine, but as it is used and the days go by it starts to slow down and before I unistalled it last week it was taking over five minutes to load. It seems to create a lot of disk activity, more the longer it's installed. I don't know if it's looking for cashed files or what. I'm just tired of reinstalling, so until I can come up with a reason or fix I guess I'll stick with 9. I've been using Dopus from the time it came out for the Amiga and have never had a problem like this. Not a complaint, just tired of hair pulling. My system is 64 bit, I'm using the 64 bit version. Windows 7 home pre. :confused:

If it works after a reinstall then whatever is causing the slowdown must be something changed by reinstalling.

That would be either registry settings damaged by some other program/installer, which the Opus installer puts back, or something within your configuration folders (/dopusdata, /dopusglobaldata and /dopuslocaldata).

Comparing the config folders of a fresh install vs copies of them from when the problem was occurring seems like a good first step.

If you hadn't mentioned Opus 9 then I'd think it was likely to be either a huge file collection being built-up by something or thumbnail caching going wrong, since those are the only things that really accumulate over time. (Or the saved folder formats for special system folders, but the way those are stored is more efficient in Opus 10, not less.)

I have seen antivirus scanners cause pathological slowness once the thumbnail cache files become large, since the cache files are stored in a format that they recognise as an archive and they start re-scanning the entire cache every time a change is made to it. (In those cases, you can usually tell the antirvirus scanner to ignore the thumbnail cache directory.) But Opus 9 stored its thumbnails in exactly the same way, as far as I can remember.

Similarly, collections might be huge or point at files that trigger a slowdown when Opus inspects them to verify their details (e.g. due to a virus checker, or pointing to a network drive is not there (which can cause problems in lots of other ways as well))... But none of that would apply to Opus 10 any more than it did to Opus 9.

Anyway, comparing the good vs bad configuration data seems like the best thing to do. That's all I can think of, given how vague the problem seems to be and that it is apparently fixed by reinstalling.

Thanks for the ideas, the one thing that keeps sticking in my mind and I don't know why it would be different in 10 than in 9, is I have some very large file collections. I've been moving most of my files onto one computer and plan on taking down my five computer nerwork. Now I'm retired I no longer need all the computers and am down sizing my systems. Most of my files I'm keeping are Text, doc or graphics, no one file is very big. I have removed my net work links from dopus as I take each computer off line. Oh! Well I'll keep playing and see what happens. So far 9 seems to be working and doing what I need, now is to find out why. I don't see anything different in my config files. I'm not doing a bunch of installs and uninstalls just moving files. Have checked the anti-virus doesn't seem to be creating a problem. A light bulb just came on, as I think back perhaps this started after service pack 1 was installed. hmmm!

It would be interesting to know if this slowdown affects the USB portable version of DOpus 10 (assuming you purchased a license for USB portability). If the slowdown doesn't affect the USB version then this could be a sign there's something definitely wrong with DOpus 10 itself.

Not surr I follow your logic there. The USB portable version of Opus 10 is still Opus 10 (what else would it be?).

If there are files that the portable version is using that are separate from the installed version...and there is no slowdown - then there would need to be an investigation into the installed files in the Windows directory that might be causing the slowdown. That's why I mention testing the USB version. If there are no slowdown issues with the USB install since it's not mooching off the registry from the installed version...then this localizes the issue to being one with the direct registry install.

True, though it could also be the configuration.

If it's the configuration I wouldn't be too worried about it because in that case it can be fixed easily. If it's the Windows installation itself...I'd be worried.

And to be honest this thread stopped me from purchasing the upgrade to Directory Opus 10 which I'm allowed that discount. After clicking on this forum to read on any issues with version 10 which I was about to purchase a license for...this thread stopped me from punching in the credit card number.

I've been hearing about this slowdown issue for a while now...and unless this gets fixed definitively...I'll be keeping that credit card in my wallet and staying with Directory Opus 9.65 64bit version until further notice. I don't want to experience such a slowdown issue with Directory Opus 10 when I've been using Directory Opus 9 with absolutely no problems.

Ok as I started this thread I just reinstalled version 10 and purchased a usb licence so I can do some testing. As soon as they send the new licence I'll install it on usb and give it a try. But now again after reinstall of 10 it's working fast again, I'll wait and see how long it stays fast. One of these days I hope it fixes itself.
:neutral_face:

Who said anything about the Windows installation? :slight_smile:

The fix is 'easy' in both cases: Reinstall Opus. Since reinstalling/resetting the Opus components/configuration is enough to fix the problem, the Windows install itself cannot be messed up. And whatever is messed up in the Opus install/configuration is not so badly messed up that it cannot be fixed by a simple reinstall.

Of course, having to keep reinstalling every so often is a pain, but we're not talking about machine-breaking stuff here.

[quote]And to be honest this thread stopped me from purchasing the upgrade to Directory Opus 10 which I'm allowed that discount. After clicking on this forum to read on any issues with version 10 which I was about to purchase a license for...this thread stopped me from punching in the credit card number.

I've been hearing about this slowdown issue for a while now...and unless this gets fixed definitively...I'll be keeping that credit card in my wallet and staying with Directory Opus 9.65 64bit version until further notice. I don't want to experience such a slowdown issue with Directory Opus 10 when I've been using Directory Opus 9 with absolutely no problems.[/quote]

This is the first mention of it in weeks/months so I do not think it is widespread. I can't find the earlier thread about a similar issue but from what I remember it only affected a handful of people.

That isn't to say the issue is not real for those people, but it's unlikely to affect you. Chances are it is caused by a conflict between Opus and something else or by a particular configuration/setup/combination of settings and programs.

If in doubt, try an evaluation version for 60 days.

Remember, this is a tech support forum; there are always going to be posts about problems here. That's why the forum exists. :slight_smile: If you go to the support site for a piece of software and there aren't new posts about issues, it usually indicates that nobody is using the software, not that the software is perfect.

If I try the 60 trial...can I uninstall it and not have to reinstall DOpus 9? Or would I need to reinstall DOpus 9 over again?

If you wanted to go back to Opus 9 then you'd have to reinstall Opus 9, yes.

That shouldn't be a problem, though. Just backup your Opus 9 config before you install Opus 10, in case you want to go back to it.

(If you have any other questions about Opus 9 <-> 10 installs, please start a new thread so we can keep this one on-topic.)