Starting from scratch - assorted problems

This is fairly broad. Many versions of DOpus (9??) and years back I customized everything to my liking, buttons, toolbars, yadda yadda. Recently I bought a laptop (so-called i7), and my restored configuration is/was extraordinarily slow to load with a double-click on the desktop. I restored the default DOpus configuration and it loaded instantly. So, I decided to try to reconstruct the look and feel of my old configuration bit by bit to try to isolate the loading speed problem - which I suspect might be related to the icon pictures I use with that configuration, i.e. the "old" icons from earlier DOpus versions.

Q: Is this probable?
Q: Is there anything else in extensive customization likely to slow loading? (I don't have this problem on my ancient i7 PC.)

I last customized extensively so long ago I have forgotten more than I ever knew about it, and I have somehow lost the Settings/Lister Layouts menu item.

Q: Help - no idea how to get it back!

Many thanks in advance for help.

It's not that - I have tested. But the question remains, what is likely to be drastically slowing loading down?

A: It's possible. It could be a lot of different things, but that is one possibility. Hard to guess, though.

A: General slowdown or instability investigation steps has lots of other suggestions. How likely they are depends on your setup.

A: Settings > Lister Layouts is in the default toolbars, so you should have it already if you're reset the toolbars and started from scratch. Alternatively, if you want to add it to custom toolbars, you can find pre-made commands for it ready to drag out of Customize > Commands. Type layouts into the filter at the bottom to find it more quickly:

Thanks, as always, Leo - you have jogged my geriatric memory. I have now fouled* everything up (*euphemism!!) so badly now that I think a reinstall is in order. :slight_smile: At least I will now know better when I start re-customizing.

Fair enough!

Before you do, it might be worth making a config backup (Settings > Backup & Restore), just in case you later find you really need something that was in your old settings.

Also note that if you want to revert to a default configuration, you should uninstall Opus, then reinstall it. (If you just reinstall it over the top of itself, it won't reset the config.)

Cheers. I did back up the DOpus defaults after reinstalling - forgot to do that the first time. I reduced the size of my thumbnail cache in the old configuration, and that did make some difference, but not enough. I have now pretty much duplicated everything "old" into the new configuration, and it's still whipping along as expected, so absolutely no idea whatsoever what slowed things down that way.

When I uninstall anything I use Revo Pro, which does get rid of everything. Great little program.

The uninstaller works on its own. Most of the time using 3rd party installers like Revo can only add potential complications.

Fair enough, I'll bear that in mind. I have just found that so many programs do leave the configuration data for future installs. Anyway, so far so very good! :slight_smile: (Nice to discover the grey cells are still partially functional.)