Startup folder always My Computer

I have a bunch of listers open to various folders when I shut the system down. When I reboot and launch Opus, they come up, but all point to My Computer rather than the folders they were at when I shut down.

Is there any way to get them to point to the same folder as when the computer was shut down?

The behavior for FTP listers is to opent eh FTP site again, but not for folders. Am I doing something wrong? I cannot find a relevant setting. I have this...

"Open the Listers that were open when the program was last closed"

set in: settings -> preferences -> launching Opus -> startup

[quote="djlewis"]I have a bunch of listers open to various folders when I shut the system down. When I reboot and launch Opus, they come up, but all point to My Computer rather than the folders they were at when I shut down.

Is there any way to get them to point to the same folder as when the computer was shut down?

The behavior for FTP listers is to opent eh FTP site again, but not for folders. Am I doing something wrong? I cannot find a relevant setting. I have this...

"Open the Listers that were open when the program was last closed"

set in: settings -> preferences -> launching Opus -> startup[/quote]

It sounds like you are loading a different lister layout as a default, overriding that settings in your preferences. Otherwise you should have your previous session loaded after startup, given your settings, not "My Computer". Starting Opus by double click, for example, could launch an alternate layout, if a different layout was specified for that action.

Also, please have a look in -> prefs -> listers -> folder structure. For example: on my machine hierarchy starts at the "drives" level.

Sorry, I don't grok what you're saying here. My DOpus is shut down at system shutdown and automagically launched at system startup. I am not explicitly either shutting down or launching.

And while we are on the subject, how do I totally shut down DOpus by hand anyway. file -> close just shuts one lister. (I'm trying to test the complete shutdown/restart sequence without rebooting the system.)

Thanks. --David.

Also, note that all the listers there before shutdown are automagically restarted. It's just that those listers on folders restart at My Computer (behavior I'd like to change), while those on ftp sites restart at the former ftp site (which is perfect).

--David.

Hello djlewis,

I don't have a solution to the problem you are experiencing.
The English Preferences setting
Launching Opus -> Startup -> Open the Listers that were open when the program was last closed
works just fine here on Vista32 .
Both local directories and FTP sites open again with a system restart.
I don't know what may be wrong, but I'll keep trying to reproduce the problem for you. :wink:

May I suggest that you write correct English ?
I had difficulty understanding your post.

Kind Regards,
David

[quote="djlewis"]
And while we are on the subject, how do I totally shut down DOpus by hand anyway. file -> close just shuts one lister.[/quote]
Right click on the DOpus icon in the system tray and select Exit.

Regards, AB

OK, then I'd like to propose a new feature -- "shut down DOpus" -- on the file menu.

Or better yet -- like Firefox, fix the menu to have these items...

• close lister
  • exit

Here's a clue. When I shut down from the system tray and restart explicitly, the listers DO point to their prior folders.

So, it might be a bug in the way DOpus handles system shutdown. Anybody try testing that?

Is the English OK now? :wink:

--David

If you want a "Shut down Opus" option on the File menu then you can put one there yourself. Almost all of the menus in Opus are editable.

You can also set Opus to automatically shutdown when the last window is closed, if you want that.

See How to Exit Directory Opus in the FAQs.

Having exited Opus manually and confirmed that it restarts with something other than My Computer, what happens if you reboot now?

If you still get My Computer then it suggests the problem isn't at shutdown but at startup. Maybe Opus is launching before the folders you had it pointed to are available?

I think we've seen and discussed this 'sort' of effect before...?

If he "exits" Opus from the systray, then OPUS is storing the last folders that were opened as part of it's own self-shutdown process. I thought I recalled Leo theorizing in the past that when you "shut the system down" before explicitly shutting Opus down, that maybe system shutdown initiated sigterms and what-not aren't affording Opus the opportunity to save the folder state or something?

I wonder if there is a difference in the behavior depending on the WAY you shut down the system? You doing it from the Start Menu or some other method? Is there a way to ADD commands into the 'normal' Windows shutdown "mechanism"... i.e., maybe for normal system shutdowns you can do things like add in a command to do something like a dopusrt.exe /cmd Exit call or something?

Side note: Here's a new File menu item for your Opus lister menu bar... it's got the 'Close Lister' and 'Exit' items at the bottom. You can just right-click the mouse on any empty Toolbar area in a lister, select Customize... and then drag the uploaded File.dcf file from the lister/directory to the menu bar.
File.dcf (10.4 KB)

There was one person who had a problem like that, but in his case the OS was killing Opus before it could write the new config at all. In that case when Opus was started again it would restore the folders from the last "clean" exit which is different to having them reset to My Computer as in this thread.

(Unless it happens that My Computer was shown in all the folders at the last clean exit, which is why I asked what happens if djlewis reboots now. By the sound of his posts, though, it sounds like the config is being updated because the window layout is saved and restored between reboots, just not which folders are displayed. That sounds like something different to the other thread.)

Ok, I set up an exit button on the toolbar, and when I use it and then restart, folders come back to the listers.

I'll now put DOpus on my list of programs to shut down by hand before system restart or shutdown -- along with MS Office :wink: Easy enough, but still annoying.

Thanks. --David.

Having exited Opus manually and confirmed that it restarts with something other than My Computer, what happens if you reboot now?

Doing as you (leo) suggests...

I left Opus open, with several listers pointing to folders. I shut the system down and restarted. Opus started automatically and... the listers pointed to the prior folders!

IOW, the problem is apparently gone now.

Very strange.

[quote]Doing as you (leo) suggests...

I left Opus open, with several listers pointing to folders. I shut the system down and restarted. Opus started automatically and... the listers pointed to the prior folders!

IOW, the problem is apparently gone now.
[/quote]

Wonderful !
I'm glad it's working for you now.
Does it also work if an ftp site is open ?

I had been trying to replicate your problem by changing preferences options, explorer replacement for instance.

Sorry I hadn't replied back, but it all works just fine here.
I was going to work some more on this.

I have been working on switching to a Skype phone ( GE 28310EE1 ) much of today.
I bought one in Canada very cheaply two weeks ago.
I'm in the process of eliminating Vonage and waiting for Google Voice.

You were next on my list though !
Please let us know if the problem surfaces again.

Regards,
David