Suggestion: "Copy filename" context menu command

Many, many times, I need to use a file name in some way: list it in a document, enter it on the command line, etc. It would be extremely convenient to just right-click on a file name in a lister and select "Copy filename". Also, because sometimes one wants the extension and sometimes not, there should be two forms of the command: one copying just the file name, and one copying the filename with the extension.

Possible context menu verbage:

Copy filename, Copy filename.ext

I like the common case to be copy without extension because more often than not, I need just the filename (think RENAMING FILES to something similar to another file name!).

And, why stop there? If multiple files are selected, right-click and choose "Copy filenames" or "Copy filenames.ext", then paste where you wish to. ("Paste as list", to optionally get carriage returns after each filename?).

You're in luck. :slight_smile: [Commands to copy selected filenames to the clipboard)

"("Paste as list", to optionally get carriage returns after each filename?")"

"Paste as list" won't work, obviously, because that depends on the program one is pasting into. The other stuff still holds, though.

Nice! But can one get just the filename without extension(s)?

Nice! But can one get just the filename without extension(s)?[/quote]

Yes! There's a very powerful facility to do that and much more! (I posted above, before I read the link in entirety).

I have implemented now: Copy filename, Copy filename.ext, Copy filename.ext.
All of those work either on single files or multiple files. The default, for multiple files, is a carriage return after each file (I prefer that as the default) but one can get a single line of filenames simply by adding the modifier 'single' to the command.

Just what the doctor ordered! Thanks.