Thumbnail view eats up all memory in under a second

Hello, I have searched around the forum and found issues similar to mine but no clear solution so here it is:

I've got the Images style set up to load up several tabs that link to my image album directories. One of the directories contain several thousand pictures from trips (basically unorganized folder). If I browse to said folder after about 20 seconds dopus memory usage go from a few hundred megs to use up all the memory my pc can muster, over 4 gigs before the drive starts trashing...

This is under Windows 7 64bit. Thumbnails are set to 200x200, 4x4 spacing, 1 line labeling, square, images & size in label with borders. Additional settings: cache thumbnails (3gigs), display thumbnails for folders (generate thumnails from images inside), and use EXIF information. Threads is set to 6.

Any tips are greatly appreciated. I apologize if my search didn't turn up an existing solution. This kind of surprised me, as I don't think I had this issue before the current version, but then I hadn't navigated to those folders in a while.

Try the suggestions in this FAQ:

[Crash, exit or high CPU when viewing certain directories)

Turning off Shell Image Extraction is the first thing I'd try.

If none of that helps, you could turn off the option to generate thumbnails for all images (so only the images currently visible have thumbs generated), but from your description it doesn't sound like the problem is too many thumbnails in memory at once. It sounds like the problem is something causing a huge memory leak, and it's most likely a shell extension (in my experience) or possibly an Opus plugin issue.

Thank you for the help.

I forgot to mention, any options I didn't mention are not selected. :frowning:
So using shell image extraction and "load all thumbnails in a folder automatically" are off.

Let me turn off the "Display thumbnails for folder" and/or "Generate folder thumbnails from images inside" and see what happens.

Quick update, sorry it took me so long... real life...

DOpus is still exhibiting the same behaviour. All preferences under the "Thumbnails mode" menu have been de-selected. The only remaining entries are:

• Size: 200x200

• Spacing: 4x4

• Label: 1

• Thumbnail threads: 6

Navigating to my pictures directory using the Explorer style is fine, problems only happen while using thumbnails mode.

Use the thumbnails mode"

• Opus instantly goes from 17-20MB to 80MB.
  • About 10 seconds later it jumps to 1GB, then to over 4GB.

Changing the style back to Explore seems to calm it. It releases some memory but hovers around 2GB and 3GB. Browsing with Explorer does not seem to hog the memory (Explorer is not the best thumbnail generator, it will sometimes take ages to generate them or not). Picasa has absolutely no trouble navigating around the folders.

I will try to find an older version still compatible with Win7 64bit, I am not sure this happened previous to version 9.5. I will try to get another PC to check if it only happens on mine. It is a really odd problem.

Found it!

It seems that something was wrong/corrupted with my Images style. It was set to use tabs that pointed to different picture folders.

Funny thing is I could use multiple tabs under the Explore style, while using thumbnails, no issues.

Well, went in, deleted the tabs set under the Images style. Re-created the tabs and updated the style. Everything works like it always had.

This is weird, but it works now. Maybe something to hunt for. :open_mouth:

(Edit: This is in reply to the 2nd last comment, not the previous one. We were both writing comments at the same time.)

Did you try what was in the FAQ?

Especially things like disablign the movie plugin in addition to turning off the shell-image-extraction option?

In my experience, it's most likely a video codec balking on one of the files when Opus asks it to generate a thumbnail.

Following the FAQ's advice to narrow down the files to work out which file(s) or type(s) are causing the problem is also a good idea.

Getting an older version of Opus is unlikely to make a difference as the problem is almost certainly in some 3rd party code (e.g. video codecs) that Opus is calling into and not in Opus itself, so changing the Opus version won't change the code that's going wrong.

It won't be the style that was the problem. It'll be something in the folders the style was pointing to which was triggering the problem.

The FAQ I linked earlier suggests ways to work out which files in the folder caused the problem and from that work out which component (e.g. a video codec) was responsible.

Yes, you were right all along. Issues came back after some prodding.

I re-read the FAQ after unchecking all the plug-ins without any success.
And it clicked...

I have the K-Lite codec filters installed. One cool thing it does is to create thumbnails for some of the video formats windows doesn't support.

I uninstalled it to check, no problems so far.