Unable to connect with ftp (passive mode)

Hi all,

My provider changed his backup system ; now ftp with passive mode is required.
From Directory Opus, when i try to connect it, the system is blocked after "257 "/" is your current location".
The option "Use PASV" is checked.

Ouverture de connexion dedibackup-vit.online.net:21
220 server ready - login please
331 password required
230 login accepted
215 UNIX Type: L8
211-feature list follows
MDTM
SIZE
211 end
350 Restarting at 100. But we're in ASCII mode
350 Restarting at 0
200 TYPE is now ASCII
257 "/" is your current location
Délai dépassé pour la commande 1007.
Connexion fermée
Ouverture de connexion dedibackup-vit.online.net:21
220 server ready - login please
331 password required
230 login accepted
215 UNIX Type: L8
211-feature list follows
MDTM
SIZE
211 end
200 TYPE is now ASCII
257 "/" is your current location

I'm able to connect from UNIX using a passive mode ftp command line (ftp --passive ...), so the server is OK

Can you help me ?
Thank you !
Poums.

Please try the suggestions here:

Check that another client is able to connect from the same machine that you're using.

Hello,

Finally, I think it's a problem of my home router.
Do you have any information about configuration ?

Best regards,
Denis.

I can't help you configure your router, but a site like Port Forward might be a good place to look, depending on what you need to do to it.

Thank you Leo.

Hello,
I'd the same problem with another product (Syncovery by superflexible.com).

The creator found the problem :thumbsup: :

[quote]I found the cause, the problem is that the passive mode connections need to go to a different IP address from the first login.
My program so far forces the same IP because usually the IP address given with the PASV reply is wrong (when the FTP server is behind a router). So, I will make this optional. Please let me have the account for a few hours today so I can adjust it in all three FTP libraries.[/quote]

Do you have a solution of this kind in Directory Opus ?

Best regards,
Denis.

No ideas ? Really ?

Denis.

This is all a little incorrect. FTP Passive allows the connection to pass through the firewalls since the address and port is issued specifically by the remote server, not from the client. Security concerns means the address has to be the same as the one for the control connection. One can in theory have different control and data connection addresses, as is used by site-site FXP connections where one has a connection to two different sites and the data connection is opened directly between the remote servers rather than through the originating client, but most of these are blocked these days.

Thank you Greg,
So, i'll never be able to connect to my backup service with Directory Opus ?

Best regards,
Denis.

Well I don't see why not. But it seems to not be an Opus issue since I fail to understand how this 'backup service' is using different FTP protocols to every other server on the planet?