Unattended operation copy defaults

After upgrading from V10 to V11 I've found the "Unattended Operation" option for file/folders copying always defaults to "Treat as Error" (even if you select "skip identical" in response to the "replace file" dialog). This is a major pain - by the time I switch mode to "Keep Newer" (i.e. the old "replace if newer" option) it's already racked up a big list of "errors". It would be nice to be able to set the default mode somewhere (is there somewhere?) - even if it just defaults to "last used" (although if one says "skip identical" wouldn't it be right to presume that's the choice you want for any further file conflicts?). I really liked the unattended operation functionality the way it was, I was hoping for some improvements (e.g. be able to enable unattended mode from the "replace file" dialogue) but this is worse for me (and apart from dual displays it's the second most useful thing DOpus does for me). Am missing some config option here? Why the change?

Further to my post above: if one does a "retry" on the error list all the files that failed to copy get copied to the root of my destination (usually an external hard drive) and not within their relative positions, not very useful. Hence the need to set the unattended copy option before the copying process is underway...

Which version of Opus 11 are you seeing this with?

The interaction between Skip Identical and Unattended Mode was actually (and subtley) wrong in the past, which may account for the change there.

You can set copies to use unattended mode and a particular error handling mode by default by editing the method used to perform the copy (or creating a new method, e.g. a toolbar button, for doing unattended copies while leaving the normal methods as they are). Please link you account for detailed help.

Retries copying to the drive root would be a bug, unless something unusual is happening. If you are seeing that with the latest version, please tell us the steps to reproduce it.

Hi Leo. Running version 11.10 Build 5466. I'm not sure I understand what meant by "You can set copies to use unattended mode and a particular error handling mode by default by editing the method used to perform the copy (or creating a new method, e.g. a toolbar button, for doing unattended copies while leaving the normal methods as they are).." or "Please link you account for detailed help". I don't do any scripting with dopus so that's al greek to me. My issue/question/problem is that Dopus 10 worked very well for me and Dopus 11 doesn't. I run backups of my work projects throughout the day by selecting folder(s), hitting "CTRL-C" to copy them then paste them to another Dopus window, being a view to a parallel structure on an external or network drive. If the folders already exist I used to be able to easily select to overwrite any older files but skip identical files. Now I can't. Perhaps this is just a feature request? Revert to DOpus 10 functionality? or allow setting of copy mode via the dialogues before copy begins? Or simply revert default to last used method rather than treat it as an error? Or allow setting of defaults via preferences?

As for the "retry" issue I'll see if I can find a pattern to it, but it's happened to me both times today that I attempted it (I would not normally do a "retry" as this behaviour happened in DirOpus 10 as well so I just keep away from it). I'm copying folder trees that are quite a few levels deep so there are pretty long path/file names.

Regarding "Please link you account for detailed help", click the For priority support, link your forum account in the signature of any of Leo's posts.

We will be adding an explicit "Keep Newer" mode for copying in the future, which will do that. Skip Identical is different, since it would/should only skip files with identical dates and prompt you (or overwrite, if combined with Replace All) both older files with newer files and, which you don't want, newer files with an older ones.

Unattended Mode used to go into a "Keep Newer" mode if you switched it on after choosing Skip Identical, but this was actually incorrect/inconsistent, as the two modes are different.

You can do this already, although it's not suitable if you're doing the copy using Ctrl-C / Ctrl-V. You'd need to use the Copy Files button or a similar button, menu item or hotkey to copy between source & destination file displays. At the moment there's no way to specify Skip Identical (which wasn't really what you wanted) or Keep Newer, but we're adding Keep Newer to a future version.

We'd definitely like to fix that, if you can tell us how to reproduce it.

Was that done using Copy & Paste as well? That could be the key.

To link your account for priority support, click here.

The 11.10.2 beta adds a Skip Identical mode to the Unattended Errors dialog which should solve this problem.

We have not been able to reproduce the second issue reported in this thread, where files are copied to the root when retrying after unattended-mode failures.

If you have any information that would help us reproduce it, please let us know. We'd like to fix that, if there is a bug there.

My own attempts to create what you described worked like this:

[ul][li]Create an empty destination folder.[/li]
[li]Copy all the files on my desktop using Ctrl-C from the desktop itself, and paste them into the folder using Ctrl-V in Opus.[/li]
[li]Set all the new copies to read-only.[/li]
[li]Ctrl-V paste over them again, so that a Read-Only error appears for the first file.[/li]
[li]With the error still showing, go to the progress dialog and turn on Unattended operation.[/li]
[li]Skip the first file/error.[/li]
[li]The remaining files all then fail (due to read-only files in the way) and are added to the list of Unattended Errors.[/li]
[li]Click Retry in the Unattended Errors window.[/li]
[li]This time, when prompted about read-only files opt to replace them.[/li][/ul]

When I do this, the files are copied over the existing files, into the correct place, and nothing is copied to the root.

I've also tried the same thing but using Opus as the source window where I push Ctrl-C, with the same results.