Unviewable rar files : sorting by file extension

If anyone has the time to respond to a couple of queries, I'd be most grateful.

In 'dual vertical' style, clicking on rar files in the folder pane to get a contents view in the file pane provokes DOpus to respond 'An error occurred reading zip folder: Zip Compressed File is invalid or damaged'.
Using DOpus to extract the archive gets me 'Error: this file does not appear to be a valid file or archive'.

The files are fine, Winrar has no problem uncompressing them, and I've read in the forum that...

Perhaps someone else has come across and solved the problem.

My second query is - how do I sort files in 'list view' by file extension? - I just cannot find the option!

Read HOW TO: Understand and Configure Folder Formats

In the Folder Format (or in Folder Options) you specify the sort order on the Columns tab. There is a Sort column there. You can also sort by several columns by holding down the Ctrl key as you click on the Sort column for any of your displayed fields. The first click adds the column in the default sort direction, the next click reverses the sort direction, and a third click completely removes the field from the sort order.

My Opus Folder Tree doesn't display .rar files, only .zip files.

What happens when you double-click a .rar file listed in the lister?

Is there a small example of one of the Rar files which won't open?

It could be caused by a couple of things, but it may be that the files are using a newer Rar format which not all programs can understand yet.

Thanks kenalcock for sorting my sort problem! very much appreciated.

With respect to the rar file display, double clicking will cause the default handler - Winrar - to open the file. File contents display is what I'm looking for, though.

Nudel, thanks for your suggestion that the rar files may be too recent for Dopus to handle. I've experienced the problem, and read as much as possible about possible causes, since I bought Dopus in April, long prior to Winrar's latest release. I can replicate the problem at any time by compressing a file with Winrar 3.2 (it's now up to v 3.6) and then attempting to view it; - same result. I don't seem to be leaving square one with this one.

And phew! - thanks for those speedy replies!

Could you attach a small file that doesn't work for you? I'll see if it works here.

So if you're not double-clicking the Rar files to try to open them in Opus, how are you opening them? They don't display in the Folder Tree, as Ken mentioned.

nudel, I'm attaching a small rar compressed file as you suggested.

Perhaps I'm expressing myself badly...I'm using Winrar to extract the files, as Dopus always complains "Zip Compressed File is invalid or damaged"; I'd like Dopus to simply display the rar's contents in the file pane prior to extraction, perhaps to simply view a readme file.

I have no problem displaying rar files in the folder tree - how else do you know when you have one in a folder? - it's when I come to single click on them in the folder tree that I get the error message mentioned above.

Thanks again for the response.
bg_logo3.rar (16 KB)

This may be a dumb question, but you wouldn't have added .rar to the list of extensions in Preferences / ZIP Files / Settings would you?

Do I take it this is a bad thing, jon? because yes indeed I find that ".zip;.jar;.rar;.ace" are listed in 'extensions' settings, though it ain't something I've looked at before.

Why a dumb question?

Ok, .rar and .ace shouldn't be there. Those settings refer to zip files only. What you are doing by putting .rar in there is telling Opus that files with a .rar suffix are actually zip files, when they aren't.

Take them out of there, and see [Make RAR, 7z, ISO, etc. files open in Opus on double-click) for info on how to set up rar files properly in Opus.

Thanks for your reply jon, though in my defense(!) they were presumably default settings - I don't think I've ever seen a .jar file!

I've checked & problem solved. Thanks for all your help.

The default is ".zip;.jar", as you can see by resetting that page to the defaults. Someone put the others in there :slight_smile:

Must've been me & my selective memory! :wink: