Video drive hangs opus

I have a proprietary video drive (P drive) that contains video files in a proprietary dps format. I noticed if opus has a tab open to one of the folders on this drive it occasionally will hang or freeze altogether. Opus normally treats it like a network folder instead of a local folder where it won't update unless you hit refresh. Since it's a local drive (it's not a remapped shortcut but a local drive) I'm wondering if opus is trying to refresh it but can't and that's the reason for the hang. Is there any way to tell it to not ever try to refresh this drive?

Thanks.

You can turn off Preferences / File Operations / General: Detect external file changes on network drives but this will affect all network drives and there isn't a way to disable it only for a particular drive/path.

If you go to Preferences / Plugins / Viewers and disable the Movie plugin you'll probably find the problem goes away. If so there was a conflict between the codec used for the files and the movie plugin.

If there's still a problem then turn off Preferences / Listers / Thumbnails: Use shell image extraction for formats Opus does not understand as well and see if that helps.

If the problems aren't to do with Opus trying to get information out of the movie files then the cause is probably something more generic like a network problem. Windows as a whole reacts really badly to disconnected network drives in some situations and several Win32 APIs become unresponsive until long timeouts lapse. (For example, every time I turn off a machine that I have a mapped drive to I find that File-Open dialogs take about a minute to open, the taskbar locks up all the time, and Opus also locks up for a while when I open a menu which includes a list of network drives.)

Ugh, the first option was already off, the second option turning off movie didn't help, the third option was already unchecked and I tried checking to no effect.

I'm looking at the windows task manager in the "performance" tab and I see my CPU usage spike to 50 when I'm navigating through this video drive. It's very consistent. When I close the tab, it takes about 10-15 seconds and then returns back to 3-7 % or so. When I go back, it's right back up there again. I am on a dualie proc xeon.

Windows explorer doesn't exhibit this behavior so I'm guessing there's an option turned on somewhere in opus that's causing this. Is there any way to turn off just about everything in opus related to what might be causing this so I can turn it on one by one? I would think it's gotta be scanning the files or maybe it's trying to perform a function that's failing and it keeps trying? I don't know ...

I think I might've found it. The "Description" field was on in my details mode and I think it's getting caught on these files, probably can't read some meta data it wants to read. Instead of giving up it keeps trying. I just turned it off and no more CPU workout. :slight_smile:

This is covered by the FAQ at [Opus uses 100% CPU / problems with AVI files)