Windows 10 - missing file and directory Icons

DO often only needs changes, because OneDrive, Dropbox, iTunes/iCloud first create the probs by always changing things or not using standards.

For example try iCloud and Acrobat using an online form... crash on save-dialogue because of iCloud-entry hanging up. Uninstall iCloud, everything's fine. Later install new version of iCloud... works again... update this version...uninstall, because bug appears again. It's always the same crap.

All icons missing again this morning in Directory Opus, with no apparent reason.

Setting (Preferences / Miscellaneous / Advanced: flush_com_libraries = False) does not fix the problem.
Quitting dropbox and box services does not fix.

Version: 11.17 x 64, Build 5829.

Please try the earlier suggestions.

If they don't work, look at what was installed, updated, or re-configured on the machine that morning, or what you're doing differently (different types of files to normal?) that might be part of what has triggered things. If Opus didn't change this morning then something else must have.

Good question. However, I did not install any new software, and to my knowledge there were no overnight OS updates.

I discovered that the problem is occurring only with an external HD that I have setup to sync with OneDrive files. Have had this drive setup for months, and DO was able to read and display the folders. However, the missing folders are only with OneDrive. I can't turn OneDrive off, because ALL my files are stored on OneDrive.

Are you aware of a specific set of OneDrive APIs I can turn off to enable the folders to show, but still allow me to sync with OneDrive?

Thanks

Disabling the OneDrive Icon Handler shell extension is the only way we know of to work around the problem.

As far as Opus is concerned, it just asks Windows for the file icons. Windows then talks to shell extensions, including the OneDrive one, and somewhere along the line it sometimes decides to pass back a completely blank icon.

You can use ShellExView to disable shell extensions.

Please link your account if you need more detailed assistance.

Discovered that folders are missing only for external hard drive, which syncs with OneDrive. I cannot disconnect this drive, or disable OneDrive, because ALL of my business (and personal) files are on the OneDrive cloud.

PS - and that setup has been working fine (e.g. have been able to see all folders) for 6-8 months.

Disabling the OneDrive Icon Handler shell extension won't disable OneDrive itself.

OK thanks. Below is a screen shot of the 'M' (Microsoft) through 'O' (OneDrive) alphabetical range in ShellView. Don't see anything for 'OneDrive,' or 'Microsoft OneDrive, other than the business browser helper. (I use home version of OneDrive; not business version.)

Please let me know which shell extension(s) I need to disable.

Thank you.

The SkyDrive ones. SkyDrive is the old name of OneDrive and Microsoft haven't updated all their strings by the look of it.

PS ... I did just disable all of the 'SkyDrive Pro Icon Overlay' extensions. That did not fix the problem. Will try to reboot and see if that resets the hooks.

You would normally need a reboot for it to take effect.

Disabling the OneDrive For Business extensions as part of the test would also make sense, even if you don't explicitly use it.

Problem solved.

Disabling the 'OneDrive for Business extension' (and rebooting) did not solve the problem.
Un-linking OneDrive fixed the problem. (However, I need to have OneDrive linked to access my files.)
Re-linking OneDrive created the problem again.

So thinking about your point that some software change must have triggered it, you were correct: On December 30, 2015 DOpus updated to version 11.17.

Uninstalled DOpus 11.17 x64 (build 5829) and reinstalled DOpus 11.16 (build 5738) fixed the problem.

I can now see all of my OneDrive linked file and folder icons on the external drive. (No extensions have been disabled in ShellView.)

Moral of the story: DOpus test team needs to look into this.

Thanks for your assistance.

Or maybe not. Installing 11.16 only worked for a few minutes.

Have been working on this for 3 hours today.

Why does win explorer 10 have no problems with this?

I have linked my account to this and I am formally requesting tech support.

Problems with OneDrive's icon overlay shell extension causing blank icons for some people have existed going back a long time. It doesn't happen for everyone or all the time, and no real pattern has emerged so far.

Disabling the OneDrive icon overlay shell extensions only affects the icon overlays and does not stop OneDrive from working.

That's the best solution we have at present, and without access to OneDrive's source code to know what it is doing and why it seems to be causing this in some situations, when Opus asks Windows, and Windows in turn asks OneDrive, for the icons.

It may also be worth noting that the items in your screenshot are not from the Windows 10 OneDrive client. They may be part of the OneDrive for Business client, or they may be something installed by something else or left-over from a previous Windows install. If it's the latter, they could be conflicting with the Windows 10 OneDrive DLLs, although that is just a guess. This may also explain the old "SkyDrive" names they are using, and may also mean that you don't even lose the overlay icons by disabling them. Perhaps the issue is triggered by a mixture of old and new OneDrive/SkyDrive DLLs on the system.

One my Windows 10 system, the OneDrive DLLs can be found by sorting ShellExView by the Description column and finding the "Microsoft OneDrive..." items. The components have fairly generic names in the main Name column, similar to "Shared Sync Overlay Handler", with OneDrive only mentioned in the descriptions.

We've created a test version which will create a diagnostic file that may let us see what's going on.

If you'd like to try it, you can download it from gpsoft.com.au/files/Opus11/ ... stall2.exe - just install it over the top of your existing install. Once you have installed it (and rebooted if necessary), go to Settings / Preferences / Miscellaneous / Advanced and turn on the debug_icon_data option.

Then, find a file or folder with a missing icon, and simply right-click it. With the debug_icon_data option turned on, right-clicking a file or folder will cause a text file to be saved to your desktop with information about its icon (the context menu itself won't appear). Once you've done this on a couple of different items, turn the debug_icon_data option back off to return to normal.

Then zip and email the diagnostic files to leo@gpsoft.com.au.

Unfortunately we can't reproduce this issue ourselves, but if you can help us by sending these diagnostic files we may have a better chance of working out where the issue lies.

Wow, people need to chill out. The missing Icons are not the end of the world and certainly don't create an unusable computer. I had the same problem, but I think I caused the issue myself. I used a program called Winaero Tweaker to bring, or change, some of the missing functions back to Windows 10. After I selected the change the drive letter display in the program, it somehow broke the Icons in Directory Opus. Winaero changes a registry key to make the drive label change. I changed it back to the default but it didn't fix the issue. Are any other people using this software? Maybe something that changes the registry keys concerning the drive letter displays is the issue? I did the Clear Icon Cache and it seemed to fix the issue. The worst part is Directory Opus already has the option to change the Drive letter position from the beginning to the end of the label, I just didn't know it was there because there are so many options in DO to do just about anything you can think of, it gets a little confusing sometimes.

DO is a very stable program, and I have used it for many years also, that the complaint and ridiculous comments from phendley are certainly unfounded and the statement that DO is one of the most expensive programs he has purchased, certainly seems to show the caliber of computer user he must be! I would also guarantee he is not as busy as I am. I would bet money DO is not the direct cause of the issue and I would also bet something phendley did, or a program he installed, broke the Icons. I have DO installed on (5) other computers with Windows 10 Pro, Dropbox, and One Drive. None of the other computers experience this missing Icon issue, just the computer I use, which I just had to tweak. It seems I just can't be happy until I tweak the daylights out of my computer, even my brand new one, and then break something like the Icons. It was certainly my bad and not DO. I am just thankful this forum had some suggestion to try which seems to have fixed my issue with the Icons. I even received a reply to my post within minutes. Try to get a response to an issue with some of your other, obliviously cheap, software you must have, phendley!

We hopefully have a solution for this problem at last, in beta 11.17.1.