X64 questions

Hello,

I just bought a new PC with windows 7, 64 bit and I have the following questions:

1. The copy/paste operations are at full x64 capabilities? I mean I copy/paste at the same speed with windows explorer?

2. The decompression of rar files within lister of dopus, is the same as decompressing with winrar 64bit?

3. Is it possible to resize the thumbnails with Ctrl + mouse wheel? (same as windows 7)

4. (Not related to 64 bits) Sometimes when I press a hotkey (e.g. alt + 5) that is set to launch my pictures folder, when a dual lister is currently active, sometimes the other lister is focused and not the pictures folder that is set to launch with the hotkey. (e.g. my pictures folder has orange color and the other lister takes the input - is green)

Thank you.

One question per thread, please.

1. I'm not sure what you mean. What does x64 have to do with copy and paste? Opus is a native 64-bit app so I imagine it'll behave the same as Explorer, but the clipboard is the same whether you are 32-bit or 64-bit (as far as I am aware) so I'm not really sure what we're talking about here.

2. Decompressing RAR currently uses the 32-bit version of unrar.dll, even in 64-bit Opus. In the not-too-distant future, Opus will use the 64-bit unrar code. (Apparently it's slightly faster, but either version will decompress things the same so that should be the only difference for now.)

3. Not as far as I know (you could send a feature request) but you can add a slider to your toolbar that lets you adjust thumbnail side. (And it'll be hidden when not using thumbnails, so it doesn't clutter up the toolbar.) An example toolbar with this setup is here.

4. What command does your hotkey run?

leo thanks for prompt reply

sorry

[quote]1) I'm not sure what you mean. What does x64 have to do with copy and paste? Opus is a native 64-bit app so I imagine it'll behave the same as Explorer, but the clipboard is the same whether you are 32-bit or 64-bit (as far as I am aware) so I'm not really sure what we're talking about here.
[/quote]

I meant if the copy/paste operations are as fast as executed with windows x64.
I believe that between two same PCs, one with Win7 x86 and the other with Win7 x64, the latter copies/pastes files faster.

[quote]2) Decompressing RAR currently uses the 32-bit version of unrar.dll, even in 64-bit Opus. In the not-too-distant future, Opus will use the 64-bit unrar code. (Apparently it's slightly faster, but either version will decompress things the same so that should be the only difference for now.)
[/quote]

noted

I will check this out, thanks.

It just opens a folder. The problem is that if the last instance open of dopus was a dual lister, the command to open the folder "My Documents" will open the folder "My Documents" in a dual lister. Then sometimes the lister next to "My Documents" has the focus, and not the folder I launched through the shortcut.

[quote="mikee"]I meant if the copy/paste operations are as fast as executed with windows x64.
I believe that between two same PCs, one with Win7 x86 and the other with Win7 x64, the latter copies/pastes files faster.[/quote]

That sounds like something which would be due to the OS, hardware or drivers (e.g. a 64-bit OS may be able to use more memory for filesystem caching) and not due to differences at the application level but, either way, the 64-bit version of Opus is a native x64 program so if there's some benefit to running under x64 then Opus will have it the same as Explorer.

It just opens a folder. The problem is that if the last instance open of dopus was a dual lister, the command to open the folder "My Documents" will open the folder "My Documents" in a dual lister. Then sometimes the lister next to "My Documents" has the focus, and not the folder I launched through the shortcut.[/quote]

What does it actually run, though? There's probably an argument you can add to make it do what you want but it's hard to say without knowing exactly what the existing command is.

WinRAR 4.0 just shipped, so you may want to forgo using Dopus completely for these operations - since WinRAR 4.0 is supposed to decompress up to 30% faster than even WinRAR 3.x does. Easy enough to make some buttons to do that for your.

The thumbnail slider is the BOMB. Double clicking the slider itself will reset to 100%. Go to SETTINGS->CUSTOMIZE, look under COMMANDS tab. In the FILTER box, type in THUMB and hit ENTER. Drag the THUMBNAIIL SIZE command to any toolbar. Poof, done.

They've also shipped a new unrar.dll 4.0 which should use the same decompression engine and is probably a drop-in replacement for the DLL that Opus currently uses (although I have not tested this myself).

[quote="darkuni"]

The thumbnail slider is the BOMB. Double clicking the slider itself will reset to 100%. Go to SETTINGS->CUSTOMIZE, look under COMMANDS tab. In the FILTER box, type in THUMB and hit ENTER. Drag the THUMBNAIIL SIZE command to any toolbar. Poof, done.[/quote]

Thats very nice. Can I assign a keyboard shortcut?

Yes, go to Settings -> Customize, then right-click the slider (it will have turned into a box representing where it will appear on the toolbar) and choose Edit, and there you can assign a hotkey. Click OK in the edit/Customize windows to finish.

Then you can push the hotkey and use the left and right arrows to move the slider.

I'm not sure if there is a way to make it move faster, though. You may find it moves too slowly to be very useful.

If you want to use the keyboard to adjust thumbnail size there's a better way. You can bind hotkeys which either set particular sizes or adjust the size up or down.

The commands work like this:

Show THUMBNAILSIZE -32 -- Make thumbnails 32 pixels smaller.

Show THUMBNAILSIZE +32 -- Make thumbnails 32 pixels larger.

Show THUMBNAILSIZE 128 -- Set thumbnails to be 128x128.

You can create hotkeys which run those commands via Settings -> Customize -> Keys. When making a hotkey, make sure it is not set to be system-global (else it will react even when you are using other programs).

[quote="leo"]Yes, go to Settings -> Customize, then right-click the slider (it will have turned into a box representing where it will appear on the toolbar) and choose Edit, and there you can assign a hotkey. Click OK in the edit/Customize windows to finish.

Then you can push the hotkey and use the left and right arrows to move the slider.[/quote]

So cool :slight_smile:

Hey I knew that, since 2005 I use dopus almost exclusively by keyboard :thumbsup:

You, sir .. are a real man.