How to create a UserID independent layout

I use Opus on a desktop PC and a laptop and I like to use the same configuration on both systems. However, my userID is different on each machine so a "My Documents" layout created on the laptop referring to C:\Users\LaptopID\Documents does not work "as is" on the desktop where it needs to refer to C:\Users\DesktopID\Documents. Likewise..
C:\Users\LaptopID\Downloads needs to refer to C:\Users\DesktopID\Downloads,
C:\Users\LaptopID\My Pictures needs to refer to C:\Users\DesktopID\My Pictures,
etc..

The way around this is to manually edit the relevant "MyLayout" file and replace occurences of C:\Users\LaptopID with the built-in Opus alias /profile, so that C:\Users\LaptopID\Documents becomes /profile\Documents and C:\Users\LaptopID\Downloads becomes /profile\Downloads. Since /profile refers to the current userID it works properly on both systems.

An Opus layout named MyLayout is defined in a file called MyLayout.oll. You can easily find the folder that contains all of your opus layouts (OLL files) by typing /dopus\layouts in a lister window.

N.B. Before you make any changes to a layout, I strongly recommend that you make a copy of the original OLL file and/or backup your configuration.

Regards, AB

Great tip! Thanks for this AB :thumbsup:

Wow, I never thought Dopus' files would be editable somehow. Definitely a great hint!
I belong to the users who love to tweak stuff just for the fun of it - but this is actually more than useful, I have a totally different setup and system on my desktop and never liked the process of adjusting the changes manually.

This is a very useful method. However, it won't work if you've got an SSD with /Windows, and /APPDATA on C, and redirected some Document folders to a large capacity drive E:
What if Libraries has been modified:
%APPDATA% still: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming {Windows doen't like this redirected}
but:
C:\Users<user>\Desktop --> E:\Users<user>\Desktop {changed in Libraries}
C:\Users<user>\Documents --> E:\Users<user>\Documents

Where does DOpus get the built-in alias info?

Changing the Library Location worked for most folders, and all work in Window Explorer,
but DOpus /commonDocuments still points to the old (unused) C:\Users\Public\Documents, instead of G:\Users\Public\Documents
I tired to make this 'clean' by doing the redirection in Windows (on the laptop) so the differences would be system specific, and DOpus would be able to make sense of it all on both machines.
suggestions?

Why using "E:\User..." and not e.g. "E:\My Data..." on all machines?

For Roaming, Local, etc. you can use a symlink. But I don't symlink "C:...\Roaming" e.g. to "D:\Roaming", I symlink from "D:\Roaming<app>" to "C:...\Roaming<app-symlink>". Especially after a restore I just want to keep a few settings/changes like Opera or games, but all others should be restored in a "clean" state (also you may have temporarily installed an app, which doesn't delete everything after uninstall, so you need to cleanup. Or after a fresh win-install or restore).

I don't use the built-in-folders like documents, pictures, etc., because apps also saves unwanted files into them. But as some apps uses/requires the built-in-folders (and I may forget to move them), I put these folders into a subfolder of my data-folder, but use own folders for pics, music, docs, etc. in the parent folder.

Thanks for the tips; I'll have to examine (is that function the same as a NTFS junction?)

Also, not exactly sure what you mean by: "don't use built-in-folders like documents, pictures, etc., because apps also saves unwanted files into them". I don't find any unwanted files there.

"I put these folders into a subfolder of my data-folder" - do you mean your custom folder E:\MyData.. ?

cheers.

Depending on which apps you're using they e.g. stores templates in Documents, or games, which stores their settings there. I don't want to have such files/folders next to my personal data and I sort pictures etc. my own way. It's also for security reasons, as these built-in-folders are always the same. The only folder I really use is Downloads.

Example (the ones signed with * are the built-in):

D:\Data

• Built-In
    -- Desktop*
    -- Documents*
    -- Pictures*
    -- Videos*
  • Documents
  • Downloads*
  • E-Mails
  • Pictures

So if pics have been accidentaley imported into Pictures (or you couldn't change the import-path) and forget to move them to your own location, they won't get lost e.g. on a restore.

You can create a symlink with DO using following command:

Copy MAKELINK=softlink

A convenient way is to use Windows Special Folder Variable %UserProfile% in the Alias path, ie.

C:\Users\LaptopID\Documents
becomes
%UserProfile%\Documents