SearchEverything: Getting Opus to work with Everything

No need to wait for the latter.... :smiley:

Regards, AB

me54899 Please do note that Opus 9 was superseded in 2008 is not supported on OS's after Windows XP. Definitely not supported for Windows 7 and above. Time to upgrade I suggest.:slight_smile:

[OT] never change a running system; I have never had any issues in win 7 32 whatsoever, with latest Opus 9, 9.5.6. Its release date is 12.10.2010. I highly doubt it supports only XP. :slight_smile: Imho, it clearly supports Vista and 7. Perhaps you confuse it with Opus 8.

[OT] (Reason I am waiting for Win 10/new laptop, in relation to upgrading DOpus, is configuration. I don't want to concern myself with and configure DOpus 11, and then revisit things again on the win 10 machine just 2 months later (different screen resolution, screen size, I'd basically want to re-check many settings etc. on a new machine. Configuring DOpus is time-consuming.)

[This is for users who toggle between DOpus and Everything]
Could you please help me with this: (FYI, I have defined Ctrl-Shift-D to toggle the ES window ("toggle windows hotkey") )
-> I would like to TOGGLE between Dopus and Everything with a shortcut, but NOT have the find results cleared. It seems like only the show window hotkey preserves the results? But then I can toggle back (or I would have to use a second global hotkey. Am I missing s.th. or is this impossible? If so, I'll ask the author to make it possible.
thanks

[quote="onedot3"]
Run Everything.exe as administrator.
Searcheverything now works in Win 10 :smiley:
Had a check on Win 7 Desktop and Laptop Everything.exe version 1.2.1.371 is not Run as administrator.[/quote]
you really resolved my problem what I met same as you described. when I close everything and rerun it as administrator, the searcheverything tool (as a custem button in my Dopus) works fine !

BTW:I found an icon of SearchEverything.exe will appear in Windows notification tray repeatly when a searching finished.And these icons disappear when mouse over them.

(Win10 x64, DO 11.15 x64, Everything 1.384.686 x86. SE 3.0)

What worked for me was to:

1. have both Everything and SE run with Administrator rights
  2. restart Everything service after having set the execution rights as above (e.g. from Task Manager-Services, if you are on Win8 and above)

I now have just a small nuisance from Win10 notification system, with a message popping up each time with search results overview.
However, I suppose those notifications can be filtered out by getting a bit more familiar with Win10.

Now that Everything can be run without Administrator rights could the SearchEverything plugin be updated so that Administrator rights are not required?

I would like to remove the TrayIcon and TrayTip dialog notification from SearchEverything v3.0.0. Is it possible to post the source code to SearchEverything.exe v3.0.0?

I've rewritten it yet again to support the new 1.4.0+ betas. Will experiment with the need for admin too and eliminate it if possible.

Here's a barebones simple commandline version on github
SearchEverythingCLI - github.com/devocalypse/SearchEverythingCoreCLI

Hi apocalypse, I hope you'll see my question :slight_smile:
What I'm doing wrong ? I am just able to make SearchEverything 2.2.0.0 works (with es.exe).
v3.0.0 and 4.0.0.0 never worked... I have put everything.dll (v3.0), everything32 and 64.dll (v4.0) to my Everything Program Files, and installed the button.
SearchEverything.exe appears in the task bar but never close, and no result appears.

Can you help me, please ?

Check out the SearchEverythingCLI project I linked in the above post and follow the instructions in the readme part. That's my cleanest approach to this so far.
If it still doesn't work - then something might be blocking your interprocess IPC communication (could be an overzealous anti-virus product among other things).

I've only tested it with the latest everything beta 1.4.0.713b running in service mode and haven't had any issues since.

ok it works now, I just had to remove the @admin at the start of the button... Thanks for your help apocalypse :slight_smile:

Glad you found what was causing it. I will remove the @admin switch from the example as well.

Issue:

I'm having an issue I can't seem to resolve. Once I create the button and try to search, nothing happens. What am I missing? Any help is much appreciated.

My environment:

• Windows 10 (64bit)
  • Directory Opus (v12.2 64bit)
  • Everything (v1.3.4.686 64bit) - installation location - C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe
  • SearchEverything (v.4.0.0.0) - installation location - C:\Program Files\Everything\SearchEverything.exe

Here is the code I'm using when creating my button.

<?xml version="1.0"?> <button display="both" label_pos="right" separate="yes" type="three_button"> <label>Everything</label> <icon1>#default:find</icon1> <button display="both" icon_size="large" label_pos="right"> <label>Everything (Dialog)</label> <tip>Search Everything for Specified Keyword(s)</tip> <icon1>#default:find</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>C:\Program Files\Everything\SearchEverything.exe &quot;{dlgstring}&quot;</instruction> </function> </button> <button display="both" icon_size="large" label_pos="right"> <label>Everything (Clipboard)</label> <tip>Search Everything for Current Clipboard Text</tip> <icon1>#default:find</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>C:\Program Files\Everything\SearchEverything.exe &quot;{clip}&quot;</instruction> </function> </button> <button backcol="none" display="both" icon_size="large" label_pos="right" textcol="none"> <label>Everything (Program)</label> <tip>Starts / Brings Everything to Front</tip> <icon1>#find</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>cd C:\Program Files\Everything</instruction> <instruction>C:\Program Files\Everything\SearchEverything.exe</instruction> </function> </button> </button>

Make sure Everything is installed as a service and running (Options > General > Everything Service). If it's not running as a service you might need admin privileges for searcheverything.

If all else fails try the CLI version I posted a few posts above.
github.com/devocalypse/SearchEverythingCoreCLI

You might want to get the latest Everything beta too as it includes a lot of improvements and some new features.

So after struggling to get this to work (various attempts resulted in different failed operation) On my windows 10 system, DO v12.3 x64 I was not getting the returned results to list in a file collection. Experimented with all combinations of administrator configs [i.e. elevate on, the one, other or both "Everything" and "Search Everything".

To get it it working, I have to run "Search Everything" as admin. Doesn't matter if I run "Everything" admin or not (I now have it off admin). Attempting the DO Everything search requests UAC elevation, then successfully runs.

If I disable Admin rights on the SE program, and instead turn on the UAC elevate mode in DO it also works (without the UAC prompt when clicking on the button) and can be run for whatever period I allow the UAC prompt.

Kevin L

Hello! When i search with SE i can't use hotkeys in DO after that. Any ideas?

I don't really see how those things are connected.

Updated the github release binaries.

Introduced REGEX search capability.
Just enclose your search in slashes like:

Normal search: anystring
Regex search: /anystring/

1 Like

Installed the files from the RAR, paths are ok. I search I see the little icon in the taskbar but nothing happens. The results are not shown anywhere. At first call I received a werfault.