Opus: "The Other Manual"

Hi, I've just updated to the new Win10 process and since then I can't click on a file, then hold down CTRL, select another file or more and move them etc, I can only select ONE file or folder at a time?? Any suggestions Please.

Sounds like you might be in Power Mode instead of Details? You can check which mode you are in from the View menu

Hey guys,

It's been a while, hope you're all doing great.
Some quick announcements:

1. New page on the site about DO12 Features (spoiler alert: it rocks!)
  2. Updated toolbars

Thanks for any feedback. :slight_smile:

--

Sorry I didn't make a full change log about the toolbars, but here are a few notes.

1. The labelling functionality now has its own button. It includes the new status feature from DO12. Also label application is now cumulative, i.e. a file can be bold AND red. Added Bold button, Italic, Underline (with shortcuts). For it to work, add Bold and Italic styles in Prefs / File and Folder Labels

2. It seems to make sense to start adding presets under the Convert menu. To get the ball rolling, "33%" converts to an image 33% the size.

3. Some shortcuts I wrote down over time (probably not exhaustive)

Ctrl + U: create url
Ctrl + Sh + : create shortcut here (from SpiroC: Paste URL from clipboard text? )

Ctrl + I no longer Invert (now launches imdb for the current movie using the Movie Database script's naming convention)
Ctrl + Shift + I no longer makes img link from file name (now searches imdb)
Ctrl + M no longer Edit Medatata (now toggles movie mode)
Ctrl + Alt + M: toggle Comics view (in the Folders button)
Ctrl + Alt + B: Bold this file or folder
Ctrl + Alt + I: Italicize this file or folder

Ctrl + F12: Customize Toolbars
Alt + F12: Go to the "Settings" alias

Ctrl + Ins: Copy the path
Ctrl + Alt + V: Go to the path in the clipboard

Changed Locking shortcuts
Ctrl + K: toggle Navlock
Ctrl + Alt + K: toggle Tab lock

Hi again friends,

another announcement:

Added a page with a DO12 rename scripting walk-through, showcasing a cool DO12 feature that allows you to insert rename options in the chrome.

The goal is to break any fear of getting started with rename scripts -- I'm a beginner myself.
Enjoy!

Nice, I was wondering if anyone would ever use that feature :wink:

The feature is wonderful, it's bound to be a hit. :slight_smile:

Always wanted to write a scripted button but didn't know where to start?
After stalling for far too long, finally added a tutorial page to the website:
Getting Started with Scripted Buttons

This forms a "triangle" with the two other pages about other kinds of Opus scripts:

Big thanks to Leo for helpful feedback and to the community for endless inspiration.

Warmest wishes to all for the new year.

4 Likes

This link doesn't seem to work.

That old thread (and a few other old/duplicate topics) no longer exists.

Hi everyone,
Everything discussed here and more lives on DearOpus.com

For those who are already up-and-running with Opus and are interested in scripting but a bit scared to try, I recommend the Opus scripting introductory tutorial.

For those looking for something really, really cool, I recommend the filename-based "database", which explains how to use a naming convention in file names in order to display information about the file in columns: in the case of movies, its year, duration, rating, director, and so on.

One of the things on my todo list this first quarter of 2020 is to adapt the site for those who like to read on their phones.

Apart from that, any question or suggestions, please ask!
If you think I've missed something important in recently-added features, please don't hesitate to tell me.

I try to navigate the thin line between giving a lot of information and not going overboard in order not to scare away potential users.

3 Likes

..and you succeed admirably. :+1::blush:

1 Like
@aussieboykie

Than you very much for the kind words! They made me smile, I really appreciate them.

On my end I'm really impressed with your scripting work!

The BeyondCompare script has always looked really useful to me. I haven't had a chance to use it because BC4 is a program I always mean to use but almost never do. But it's cool that you've got it wired like that.

I also find your work with Everything over the years fascinating. Here it's the opposite, I'm so used to searching directly in the Everything interface that I've been too lazy to change my habits. And for some reason file collections are one of the Opus features that I never use. But it seems to me that what you're achieving with Everything is way more powerful than my basic usage.

Funny by the way how there are some great features of Opus that some of us use all the time, and others never. For me one such feature is advanced search — fine grained, wonderful. For some reason I have FileLocator Lite (a.k.a Agent Ransack) at my fingertips to do the same job. So many options for grepping in Windows, though.

Might start a topic on that, "Great Features of Opus you Never Use". This might be a source of stimulation, a way to rediscover features.

Sorry about the rambling message,

Wishing you a great weekend. Hope you're not breathing too much smoke, apparently since the fires pumlonary conditions have been exploding.

Cheers,

-pf

1 Like

To be honest, I mostly use the native Everything interface as well but the ability to create a refined Opus collection comes in handy often enough for me to have written a front end, plus I enjoy a bit of coding from time to time so it presented a good excuse. I'm also a regular user of Agent Ransack and until you mentioned it I wasn't aware of the dual personality with FileLocator.

I think a large part of the "Great Features of Opus you Never Use" debate is that there are so many of them and speaking for myself I can only remember a subset well enough to use them with confidence. This forum is a constant reminder of neato things that I really ought to use.

Recent rain has helped contain the big fires in NSW and VIC and the smoke haze in Sydney is not as bad as it was. However, I wouldn't want to be an asthmatic or have any other breathing problem. More rain is the answer. Bring it on....

1 Like

Glad to hear you're not too affected by the smoke.

With Ransack, do you have a button in Opus where you launch with -d {sourcepath} to prepopulate with the source folder, or do you do something more complex with the command-line options?

Nothing complicated, I just prepopulate with -d {sourcepath} and do the rest from the UI.

Just finished adapting www.DearOpus.com for mobile. It was not very usable before because of the three columns.

First time doing this for me, it was hell and the words to explain the interface at the top are a bit clunky. Design is not my forte, so if anyone has suggestions, they're more than welcome!

4 Likes

nice site you've created. much info which is very useful to this new kid on the block.

1 Like

Site appears to be down, which is a real shame for those of us that can't afford to upgrade from Opus 12 lite.

1 Like

Had to take it offline for the time being as I was getting too many mails from people asking for an update for DO13. I'm just unable to dedicate the time at the moment, and didn't like the idea of an obsolete site attracting all these requests.

3 Likes

Would it be a possible intermediate solution to make it temporarily available until we save it offline? Even on a temporary domain, without a search index. I still use the old dopus and although I read through your site once, I still have a bunch of bookmarks from there that I would like to go through :confused:

There are many great explanations and ideas on that site that are not outdated at all.

I really appreciate the effort you put into those tutorials.