PDF toolbar v3

PDF toolbar v3 by Albator V

This toolbar use a freeware named PDFtk - The PDF Toolkit
You can read more about PDFtk in the Toolbar Help menu.

With this toolbar, you can :

• Merge all selected PDF files in one
  • Extract all pages of selected PDF files
  • Order pages: to move pages 3 to 5 before 1, just type "3-5 1" in field
  • Delete pages: to delete pages 3-6, just type "1-2 7-end" in field
  • Extract pages: to extract pages 2-6, just type "2-6" in field
  • Rotate files (+90°/-90°/180°)
  • Protect selected PDF files with password
  • Unprotect selected PDF files
  • Compress PDF files
  • All buttons can be right clicked to display DOS prompt

PDFtk installation and configuration

Download and install PDFtk Free from here PDFtk - The PDF Toolkit.
By default, installation path is "C:\Program Files (x86)\PDFtk" but you can choose another path (USB device for example).
To make the toolbar buttons work, you need to have a Folder Alias "/pdftk" of path installation. See below.

Download Toolbar

AlbatorV-PDF Toolbar.dop (16.4 KB)

Toolbar installation

• You can copy "AlbatorV-PDF Toolbar.dop" file to "/dopusdata/buttons"
  • Or you can import "AlbatorV-PDF Toolbar.dop" file from Customize/File/Import toolbar
  • You need to localise "pdftk.exe" file, select this file (just select, not double clic) and click "Localise pdftk.exe" button in the Toolbar Help menu. This action add new Folder Alias "/pdftk" and buttons should work.

Notes

v3: Updated toolbar and link to current version of PDFTK 2.0.2 24/08/2013
v2: Updated download link to current version of PDFTK 1.44 3/1/11

2 Likes

This is VERY cool. I have been using PDFTK every few weeks for several years, and this has great promise to simplify the tasks I often do.

Now I need to play around with some modified scripting. What I most often do is something like take a few pages from Document A, then a few from Document B, then the rest of Document A. Sometimes I might have a dozen or so such instructions on the command line.

It will be fun playing with this.

Hi Albator,

Almost three years after your last edit of the original post, I'm giving this toolbar a try.

I had a few problems, so I made the following changes to my setup of your toolbar:

1. Installed it into /home\Tools\pdftk (leaving off the version number)

2. Had to fix the rotate commands to use 1-endright, 1-endleft, and 1-enddown instead of the 1-endR, 1-endL, and 1-endS. I'm guessing they deprecated the R, L, and S shorthand?

3. Modified the rotate left command as it was not a complete path:
    Old version:
    pdftk {allfile$} cat 1-endL output "{file|noext}_(+90°).pdf"
    New version:
    /home\Tools\pdftk\pdftk.exe {allfile$} cat 1-endleft output "{file|noext}_(+90°).pdf"
    Reminder: I removed the version number from the folder name.

All of that being said, I absolutely love this toolbar. I work with PDFs quite a bit in my job and this will save me a lot of steps without needing to ask management for a full copy of Acrobat.

Thank you for doing this.

Oops. One additional correction...

My left command had +90° and my right command had -90°. These should be reversed. For example, left now has:

/home\Tools\pdftk\pdftk.exe {allfile$} cat 1-endleft output "{file|noext}_(-90°).pdf"

But this toolbar is working really well, AlbatorV. Thank you!

I had the need to rotate a pdf, and remembered your toolbar.. o)

@Albator
Did you update the toolbar to reflect DesertDwarfs findings? I ask because I also have some difficulties.
The rotate buttons don't seem to work?

I ended up using command line for rotating right:

pdftk <input.pdf> cat 1-endeast output <output.pdf>

Did not investigate much, but the commandline options of pdftk are not very straightforward. Why does "cat 1-endeast" rotate right and why isn't the "rotate" argument used for this operation as one would expect. Strange. o)

@tbone: No, I don't update the toolbar. Maybe soon... :wink:

cat 1-endeast = rotate entire document 90 degrees clockwise.

My button to rotate right is pdftk <input.pdf> cat 1-endRight output <output.pdf>

Thanks, I may stick to what I said, what a weird commandline! o)
I created a menu-button (PDF-Toolkit Menu (PDF merge, extract, protect, unprotect, organize)) from the work you already put into your toolbar. Fixed some texts and prompts and the commandlines in the buttons contained. Thank you! o)

Sorry to dig up an old thread... does this toolbar still work?

Cant get it to run with PDFtk 2.02, do I need to purchase the full version of PDFtk?

Can someone please explain the "/home\tools.." path/directory?

---EDIT---

Figured it out, thanks also to tbone's thread. I had to install PDFtoolkit to the C: root directory.

2 Likes

hello. only 100 pages to merge???

Hi, I know this is quite an old forum at this point, but the functionality of this tool would be indispensable if it could be made to work! I have tried the solutions from previous comments but am afraid PDFtk may have changed up their commands perhaps?

These buttons seem to still work fine:

Thanks for checking! I got it working with a little more tinkering of the file paths and the commands following DesertDwarf's comments.

I just updated the toolbar to version 3 to work with PDFtk version 2.0.2

4 Likes

Thanks AlbatorV!