Same drive letter for USB devices each time

See Also: Launch via Label
See Also: Refer to programs on the same drive as portable Opus

My requirement was simple, I wanted to plug my iPod into my Windows7 machine and have it always get drive letter i. If it always has the same drive letter I can then use Opus and create shortcuts or sync listers or anything else I want.

Anyway, it seems that is not as simple as it should be...but this fabbo little free tool will let me always have my iPod as drive letter i: and of course any other USB device can have any other drive letter each time should I so choose.

It's called USBDLM here:

uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html

I'm finding it very useful

thanks

John

Yes, indeed, this is really a wonderful product!
I have configured my USB-drives (4), thumbdrive, cardreader all to have their own, fixed, driveletters.
Any óther USB-thing I plug in, will get a defined free drive letter so it will not conflict with existing driveletters.
As an example, this is particularly important when running backups to an external drive.

I agree that this does not really have something to do with Directory Opus, but then again, it is really
worthwhile mentioning here... Regular updates and good support.
(Think it is hardly getting the attention it deserves and wonder why it is not included in Windows)

=

You don't need this. Set the letter within the computer-management-console (x,y,z or something like that), Windows will remember it.

It's a year (or so) ago that I've send a feature-request to GP to access devices by label (not letter), so that you just need unique devicenames without defining fixed driveletters. They liked the idea, but didn't include it until now. There're some tools making usage of this method (like SyncBack Pro) and I really think this is a must have within a powerful filemanager like DO.

It is my experience (many years) that once you regularly switch on /off external devices and thumbnails MMC is losing the driveletter-assignment, so quite I had to go into that computer mgt console again to set the driveletters.

This driveletter thing 'drove' me crazy.. :wink:

USBDLM really helped me out and I never experienced any issue anymore. 4 external drives, a few USB thumbdrives, cardreader,
it is a one time setup. No problems anymore.

=

Like this? Launch via Label (for portable USB users)

Yes, but w/o using VB-Script :slight_smile:

[quote="mrwul"]It is my experience (many years) that once you regularly switch on /off external devices and thumbnails MMC is losing the driveletter-assignment, so quite I had to go into that computer mgt console again to set the driveletters.
=[/quote]
Never had this problem on lots of different workstations.