11.5.3 beta notes in help file?

Thanks for the new beta.

While it appears to install correctly I notice that the help file does not contain any reference to previous betas in the current series. Of course that information is available on the forum but I thought you might like to know that the usual inclusions do not show in this release. It appeared as a pop-up on the previous beta update.

The information is there in my help file, at least. This is from the 64-bit 11.5.3 installer.

Seems OK here....

Regards, AB

The official install archives do indeed have the updated help file with the details of 11.5 betas as above.

So maybe the old file was locked when you installed or there is some other cause. Reboot the machine and try again. If this still is not correct then I'd suggest downloading the install archive direct from our web site and reinstalling.

Thanks for the quick reply. However I had the same problem on two separate computers: notebook and Surface Pro 2. Rebooted both - downloaded the exe file from the forum link - rebooted - re-installed both. The program correctly reflects the 11.5.3 beta. After first installation the help file pops up but reports that it cannot find the page - ie the page that usually states the update changes/additions.

The operating systems of both are Windows 8.1.

I have to go out for a couple of hours but will uninstall DOPUS completely and try again.

BTW the only thing that changed was installing a chromecast but that should only effect chrome browser.

I just installed the 11.5.3 beta. The first time I opened a lister, what I suppose should be a list of changes in 11.5.3 popped up, but says This page can't be displayed.

Just uninstalled and reinstalled twice and the same thing happens. Bob has captured the same situation.

I went back to 11.5.1 beta and that installed correctly. However then updating to 11.5.3 resulted in the same problem.

The actual help file only lists revisions up to beta 11.4.3.

Rennie

I also have what appears to be an old or broken help file

This is from a fresh install of 11.5.3 beta.

Are you sure you've installed 11.5.3 and not an old version (e.g. due to browser caching the download incorrectly)?

What does the Help / About window say?

Which installer are you using, 32 bit or 64 bit?

Are you rebooting when prompted?

Are you sure you've installed 11.5.3 and not an old version (e.g. due to browser caching the download incorrectly)?

Reasonably sure (because of next answer)

What does the Help / About window say?

Version 11.5.3 (Beta) x64
Build 5319 2014-07-25 22.38.29

Which installer are you using, 32 bit or 64 bit?

64 (I guess obviously due to the information from Help / About)

Are you rebooting when prompted?

Yes (I said No to the prompt, but then immediately rebooted)

Bob describes the same situation.

I have reproduced it on two separate computers.

Reboots - yes always.

64bit version

Also fresh and updated notebook. Reinstalled Windows 8.1 last weekend

What is the date and time of "C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\Help\dopus.chm"? On mine the modified date is 25.07.2014 13:27.
Have you tried to run it directly?
Copy the filepath between the quotes, paste it into the field on the W7 menu, and press enter.
Does this display the same?

Managed to get it fixed on both computers, but I am unsure exactly what caused it and what actually fixed it as each computer required a different solution.

Notebook: Deleted the deleted the contents of the Windows/temp folder on notebook and then reinstalled DOPUS. Reboot and everything appears to work.

Surface Pro2: Deleted the contents of the Windows/temp folder on Surface Pro 2 and then reinstalled DOPUS. Did not work - same older help file - circ 5.4 betas. Then uninstalled DOPUS, reinstalled DOPUS and the same problem. Downloaded the DOPUS exe again and installed then rebooted. It worked!

I had re-downloaded the DOPUS exe several times yesterday so I cannot explain why the download today installed okay. In other words, each machine was installed with a fresh DOPUS downloaded exe.

The contents on the Windows/temp folder varied between the two computers. Could not identify anything specific to DOPUS. I suspect that on the notebook there was a remnant of an install directory.

Both programs were uninstalled from the windows uninstaller and proceeded without obvious error. Rebooted after each uninstall.

myarmer: I did check the dopus.chm as suggested and it was an older version - on the surface pro. This indicated that the file was not replaced at installation or uninstalled (might have been locked?). However when the latest beta was installed again - it appears to have replaced the file. All worked from here on.

Generally I would not have worried about it. However since two computers failed the install - and there is evidence that another person has also had the problem - I figured that is was a problem worth reporting. Could just need a tweak on the installer side to check the correct file version or whether the file is locked and then inform the user of a way forward.

Would appreciate knowing what actually was happening as it helps me work out future problems.

Rennie

[quote="myarmor"]What is the date and time of "C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\Help\dopus.chm"? On mine the modified date is 25.07.2014 13:27.
Have you tried to run it directly?
Copy the filepath between the quotes, paste it into the field on the W7 menu, and press enter.
Does this display the same?[/quote]

Date/time is 2014-05-20 08:31:00.

Invoking the help file directly as suggested works fine (brings up the Introduction page, but it's presumably an out of date help file. The Release History part ends with 111.4.3 (Beta).

i don't know what happened the first time I downloaded. I downloaded again, observed that the exe files are different sizes and installed the just downloaded one. Invoking Opus after that doesn't cause the release notes to pop up (I suppose because the "new" version is the same as the previous one), but manually invoking Help now produces help containing Release History through 11.5.3 (Beta).