Batch renaming

When I download mp3 files lots of times the title or name includes the track number at the beginning. I do not want the track number at the beginning of the title/name. When an album is downloaded with 12 or more tracks, I have to one by one rename them to delete these track numbers.

I cannot find a way to batch rename them. I am new to "computering", and don't have any technical know-how like scripting, whatever that is, but it seems to be a simple problem and should have a simple fix.

That's funny. I always end up doing the opposite. Adding track numbers so that they sort properly in file managers and in the players I use.

But your task is easily achieved. Here is what I used before I decided that I was doing it all wrong:

Using a regular expression.

Old name: () (.*).mp3
New name: \2.mp3

I bet there are other, and better, ways of doing it, but that works for me.

I had it as a preset. Do that and you can get Opus to select and rename all the mp3 files with no user intervention beyond pressing a button. That's how I run the reverse process to number tracks.

I know to some, or maybe more than some, track numbers before the title of a track are the way to go, but what then is the track number column for. I never have a problem with tracks playing in the correct order, and I really prefer the individual metadata columns, because after all the track number and the title/name are two separate and individual pieces of information, which makes things just slightly cluttered when combined together in the same column..... different viewpoints. Also, it is not possible to list the tracks alphabetically since the track number becomes the the first character of reference, right? Blah! whatever.

I have an, oops, other problem now if anyone knows about scripting off suffixes. While fooling around with the advanced rename, I ended up sticking a suffix on the end of the file. The above fix from MK worked, thank you MK, but now I'm stuck with this suffix, going 0002 to 0011 which were the track numbers 02 to 11 at the beginning of the title.

Is there an quickie course for scripting? Not likely, I suppose. How are simple folk suppose to survive the computer world?

I was in your boat not long ago. (I still haven't got very far.) I found the best way to learn was through trial and error, reading the help files, and going back through the examples posted in the various forum sections.

Some people make it easier for us by documenting what they do. Others just throw complicated scripts at you, and you then have to work out what each step does.

If you ever rename something and it looks wrong, don't do anything else. Immediately go to the Undo menu and backtrack. This makes trial and error less frightening.

Not to be a pest, but I forgot to ask about how I would go about setting a preset.

Rather than taking you through the steps here, I will answer in the tone of my previous message – and in a way that will help you more in the long run – by aiming you at the Help file.

Search for preset and then go got the Advanced Rename choice.

That page is a quick read on this and other topics.