Please migrate Directory Opus to native Linux

I have used Directory Opus since the Amiga 500 days, and switched to multiple paid for Windows versions when I migrated to Windows, however I now think that Windows has got too stale, klunky, and slow, even on Windows 8.1 on a high spec. i7 Desktop, so would like to completely migrate off Windows to Linux e.g. Mint Linux (Ubuntu based) and Oracle Secure Linux.

The sluggishness of Windows is especially obvious when large file systems on NTFS disks and large NAS are accessed by Directory Opus, via SMB and FTP, on Windows; Linux directory tools seem significantly faster than both Windows Explorer and Directory Opus on Windows, even on a lowly Intel Atom netbook!

I have tried Directory Opus on Wine, however it not usable there, so I would like to see proper native Linux versions.

3 Likes

That has been requested already, see [url]https://resource.dopus.com/t/linux-support/3720/1]. I think, there are multiple reasons, that a port to Linux seems to remain quite unlikely.
The OSes are so different, as the file systems are, as well. Also, it would take a great deal of extra man power, to maintain und support an extra Linux version. Besides, Linux is still not so widespread, which is also to be kept in mind. und then, you have a lot of different distros to keep in sync with the current versions, which would make the bugfixing efforts double, at least. Not to forget, that many Linux users would expect the program to be free, like in "free beer" :laughing: .

+1

I also want a Mac version, an Android version and DO as Wearable! o) http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wearable_Computing
While we're at it, I can even image to drive a Directory Opus automobile, which can be toggled from single to dual mode to be very energy friendly. o)
I could help out for the time of development with a mig welding machine and wheel gun from my hobbyists car workshop.

I wouldn't mind the product "line" to grow in every direction. Working against recent trends, simplifying every gadget to single button usage. o)

Thanks! o)

ps: I miss bed linen and sexy underwear with DO logo as well!

2 Likes

[quote="abr"]That has been requested already, see [url]https://resource.dopus.com/t/linux-support/3720/1]. I think, there are multiple reasons, that a port to Linux seems to remain quite unlikely.
The OSes are so different, as the file systems are, as well. Also, it would take a great deal of extra man power, to maintain und support an extra Linux version. Besides, Linux is still not so widespread, which is also to be kept in mind. und then, you have a lot of different distros to keep in sync with the current versions, which would make the bugfixing efforts double, at least. Not to forget, that many Linux users would expect the program to be free, like in "free beer" :laughing: .[/quote]

It's been over 7 years since that post; Linux is mature enough now, Steam uses Linux now, and even a big corporation like Oracle supports Linux, so it's about fracking time.

I want off Windows because I trust Microsoft even less after Windows 7 because 8.0 and 8.1 reportedly contain much worse Microsoft spyware, including in the boot code, so I won't be interested in 10 at all. Apple OS-X has reportedly got worse for intrusiveness too. I don't trust Google much either, so leave little on my Android devices.

On of the few things postponing my migrating off Windows was Directory Opus, but my tolerance will run out, given how usable Linux is now, including Android.

Maybe the developers could have a look at Mozilla Firefox/Thunderbird and existing Linux directory tools to get some ideas for a starting point, then add deeper Linux OS support later; if done correctly, a lot of the code could be made portable, require less OS specific testing and make it easier to target other OS too e.g. Apple OS-X.

3 Likes

It's not going to happen sorry, so if Opus is the only thing you're waiting for you may as well jump now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Even if someone offered you several million $?

I am more puzzled by

This all smacks of "paranoia runs deep", especially the "reportedly" bit.

Can you assure us that DOpus does not report what I do to directly to the NSA and MI6 or ASIS?

1 Like

Hello Guys,

Hello, I know this is a 7 year old request.

You might not by now that KDE Plasma 5 has dolphin with is much like Dopus.

I still think Dopus is Dolphin with steroids and I would definitely buy it for linux if someday is released which I doubt.

In the mean time I plan to buy it my Windows PC at work. Windows 11 file manager suchs!!

Vida Dopus!!

1 Like

I now run Windows 10 Pro., because Linux is still "surprisingly" lacking, as a main machine OS e.g. su mounts of NAS SMB mounts still being a ridiculous manual pain to setup and keep working, due to pathetic mount logging, and iffy remote desktop support.

@michaelkenward
You were a fool to write that my "paranoia runs deep", as is increasing evident e.g. the rampant mainstream evils of user metadata/data theft, cancel culture and other converging censorship. It is an ongoing process to protect oneself from corporate and state violation, including of the body!

Anyway, I can see why DOpus maybe hard to port, because I can easily cause whole lister windows, with multple tabs to lock up, using built-in commands, like Find Files in archives, so I have no choice but to terminate both DOpus processes using Process Hacker. This suggests some iffy design.

2 Likes

Did you report it? I am suspicious of such a claim when I haven't seen any other complaint on the forum like this. I suspect other software is involved.

Have you tried to troubleshoot it using the instructions the programmers here have provided to diagnose and fix problems hundreds of times (link below)? Much of the time, they can see evidence that points to software we users have installed on our systems that is the cause of the problem for DOpus.

Manually generating process snapshots - Opus FAQs - Directory Opus Resource Centre (dopus.com)

If you're interested in their assistance, it would be prudent to link your account.

Old thread I know but I've now also switch to Ubuntu and don't think I'll go back to Windows. I used to be a paid user of Dopus on Windows. Thanks for the Dolphin suggestion. I installed it on it's defautl GNOME desktop environment and so far it looks much better than the default file browser. I also use Double Commander.

Losing Opus is the price you pay for switching to Linux :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don't think much of Dolphin as an alternative, I prefer Mate's Caja and SpaceFM, the latter because it can support 4 panels, each with multiple remembered directory tabs.

Windows Professional Pro 64-bit completely broke on my main PC; and the emergency repair functionality was still pathetic, so I had enough and moved permanently to Linux Mint 21 MATE 64-bit, which is far more secure. I don't miss windows much now, because many other developers have gone multi-platform, because a lot more people now use Linux.

I see even less reason why DOpus can't be ported to Linux now, since dotNet Core exists, which seems to be the preferred dotNet progression path for Microsoft, probably so that they can run more software on Linux. Microsoft Skype is available for Linux Mint, and ran fine for Months.

For now, I've got DOpus running OK'ish in Wine 6.0.3, via WineGUI, on Linux Mint 21 MATE 64-bit, with my old license key; it doesn't seem to crash as much now. I mainly use if for multi-stage file renaming and some archive extraction and creation now.

1 Like

Opus doesn’t use .Net. :slight_smile:

1 Like

In the Amiga days it was all ASM. :slight_smile:

C, not ASM, I think.