Exporting/Printing Duplicate Files list

Hi there

We have that yearly drive cleaning session in the office where each departement has purge its folders.
What i'd like to do is generate for each departement a *.txt file where they see all duplicate files. There are quite a few. And I'd like to use the MD5 Checksum method.

Now I have troubles getting them correctly into the txt file. I know about the print folder (to file) function, but what i cannot achieve is to get them grouped together. If I export them they should appear in the txt grouped as they are displayed in the lister. Otherwhise sorted e.g. by name it's no use after all. You have no clue which are the duplicate ones that belong together.

Well, ok, i thought of adding the MD5 checksum column, after all that's what it looks for. but then one can wait really forever and ever and ever till Dopus writes all the checksums into that column. that is finding duplicates took about 15 minutes for just one department's folders and subfolders (which is fine). but the checksum column is not filled or just with the first few and completing goes an eternity up to the point that I had to stop the process. And printing is not possible before that job is done (that is it sorts the list).
Sorting by size would be a workaround which would work for most files, but it's ab bit of a risk after all if i communicate that the duplicate ones are the ones with the same file size.

So, it's not that I didn't try the obvious, it seems. But is there no way to export the list just the way it's grouped from the start.

thanks for any help.

I don't think there is a good way to do this at the moment.

If the information is being fed into an automated process then it can be extracted from an XML file (but it's not in a very human-friendly format, so that's probably not useful).

There is a clunky way to get at the data using a script: If delete mode is turned on, or if the Select button is clicked at the bottom of the Duplicate Files panel, then the first item in each group will be de-selected (or un-checked, in Delete Mode), and the other items will be selected/checked. So a script could go down the list inferring a new group begins each time it sees an unselected item. That should work, but it may be too fragile for what you're doing, if you're worried about accidental changes to the selection/check state.

If you're interested in the script, I could write it for you if you link your account and also say what format you want the data/list to be in. (e.g. Just "Group number, file path", or any other details?)

Hi Leo

Thx a lot. That would be great of course.
I'll write you a pm.

I am also interested in this as well.

We have a LARGE collection of files that most definitely contain duplicates. I'd like to generate a list and send that list to the various department heads for confirmation on which file stays and which are deleted.

Just curious if there have been any further developments in this arena.

Currently running DO 11.19