Windows 10 - missing file and directory Icons

I have been a Directory Opus user for many years - it is one of the more expensive pieces of paid for software I use - since windows 0, it is almost unusable because of the missing icons. I work for a living and am not paid if am messing around chasing shell handling programs. I tried the cache cleaner which just gave me a black screen with neither win explorer or DOPUS or the start key accessible.

I simply do not have the time to try lots of workarounds - we pay a lot of money for Directory Opus to be a day to day file handling tool. Please either fix this problem or return our purchase prices - sorry to be blunt but this has always been a functional tool and now it is not. Win 10 has been out for over a month and in beta for many months so surely this should not be a surprise

Sincerely

You should first investigate if your problem is caused by DO and even if it's DO it's very funny reading you're satisfied using it over years, but want a refund because of one bigger problem!!!

What you mean with "missing icons"? A screenshot also would help.

Use ShellExView to disable the DropBox shell extensions. That usually fixes missing icons.

I have had no problems with Windows 10. Well, none in Opus.

Nor has there been a flood here of reports of new issues.

[quote="Sasa"]You should first investigate if your problem is caused by DO and even if it's DO it's very funny reading you're satisfied using it over years, but want a refund because of one bigger problem!!!

What you mean with "missing icons"? A screenshot also would help.[/quote]

That is exactly the problem - why should I spend time trying to fix a piece of software that is simply a tool to access files. I see icons in Explorer but not in DO - what more do I need to do to tell something is broken that used to work fine. DO has never (rarely anyway!) introduced new versions that are not fit for purpose - now they have and this has broken the tool - ergo the item we have paid a lot of money for has not been properly maintained. It is nearly midnight here and I have tried the shellEx tool and nothing has happened - I do not understand why the developers can not cure this at source rather than expecting busy users to run random fixes

It had not occurred to me that anyone might need to see a screen shot of missing icons but I have attached one per your request

So far it's not something we've been able to reproduce, and all the reports so far have been cured by disabling the Dropbox shell icon extensions.

The problem is probably external to Opus: We do not have a stream of people reporting the same problem, how Opus asks for icons has not changed in years, and Opus just asks the OS for the icons, and displays what it gets back.

If icons come back blank it has almost always turned out to be one of two things:

[ol][li]A shell extension -- often the DropBox one I already mentioned, or other cloud-storage extensions -- which, for whatever reason, crashes inside the Opus process but not others on your system. (But if you search, you'll find reports of them crashing inside Explorer as well. It just doesn't always affect every program on the system.)

Use ShellExView to disable the DropBox shell extensions. That usually fixes missing icons. Trying it will take only a few minutes; less time than writing a reply, so please give it a go. You just need to download the tool, run it, find the DropBox extensions in the list (and any other cloud-storage extensions), right-click, Disable, then reboot.

[/li]
[li]Sometimes the system icon cache for the Opus process gets corrupted. Running my Clear Icon Cache will clear the cache and fix the problem if that is it. You just have to download it, unzip it and double-click it, so it's very quick.[/li][/ol]

There's probably nothing that we can fix or debug on our side because the problem is almost certainly external to Opus, and the things above must be tried first to rule out the most likely possibilities.

Lol, simply.

I bet a fresh install of Windows will solve your problem.

Sasa,

Your input is unhelpful - Why would anyone invest that much time that because a small piece of software has broken with the install of Win 10. Obviously you hae nothing better to do with your time

Leo,

In contrast to Sasa, this was a helpful post - thanks. As I mentioned initially, I had tried the clear icon cache without success. However, this time you have suggested rebooting after shellexview - a key point you had not mentioned when you suggested this yesterday. Next time I reboot we shall see what success that brings

Oop's. I must be on the wrong forum!

phendely,

no software is free of bugs, also you still don't know, if DO is causing this and don't give others a chance to investigate your problem. So the way you initially post your problem is the problem ("perfect software over years, but now money back"... like a little child, sorry to say)!

You didn't tell us when it happened (did you installed Win 10 over Win X, did you install other tools/codecs/cleaners before the issues occured,...?)!

I have installed Windows 10 and others uncountable times using DO-USB (because it's my job!) and also 4 private devices here using DO - NONE of them ever had the problem you have - and also not others here in forum. From the small details you gave I assume it's a conflict with other software or something that has been broken.

Sometimes you need to decide if you spent hours of (unsuccessful) fixing or setup new sys, which often solves a problem (esp. on updated devices and lots of install and uninstalls).

[quote="Sasa"]phendely,

I have installed Windows 10 and others uncountable times using DO-USB (because it's my job!) and also 4 private devices here using DO - NONE of them ever had the problem you have - and also not others here in forum. From the small details you gave I assume it's a conflict with other software or something that has been broken.[/quote]
Not true Sasa - see this thread [url]Missing OneDrive Icons with Windows 10] where I had the same problem with missing icons - but I followed Leo's advice and did the workaround. In that case it was a OneDrive Icon Handler causing the issue. When the problem returned some time later, it turned out to be a DropBox Icon Handler.

So 2 or few more people out of? And what is causing this? DO or OneDrive/Dropbox? Especially software from Apple on Windows is often a big problem. BTW Windows 10 ist stable, yes, but still has got lots of bugs (actually Win 7/8.1 is better for productive systems).

As said if somebody is using a tool over years w/o problems, then on his first big problem immediately wants his money back before knowing what's causing this, before giving people a chance to help/solve and w/o any further details... sorry, that's simply overdrawn. Especially this forum is known to be very friendly and helpful, and the support is great.

Don't want to get more Off-Topic.

I am a long time Directory Opus user. I have DO 10 and Windows 10 installed, and also OneDrive, Box, and Drop Box. This morning, out of the blue, I am now having the exact same problem: File and folder icons have disappeared in DO.

Used Shellexview to disable the dropbox shell extensions, and this made things worse by disabling the ability to open ANY folder in DO. (It only created multiple DO windows.) So I am weighing in with Sasa. As a DO customer, I consider this to be DO incompatibility with the online cloud services (if that's what it is). I have a business to run, and no time or interest to code.

DO needs to test for and resolve these incompatibilities.

There are some changes in the latest Opus 11 beta which may help with the cloud services problem (if it is being caused by something breaking the WinSock DLL within the Opus process, which was reported by several people recently and which we now mitigate against).

We also have another change coming in the next update which will be off by default but worth trying for anyone seeing the problem (Preferences / Miscellaneous / Advanced: flush_com_libraries = False).

So far we have never seen the problem on our own machines, so we can only make guesses as to what is triggering it. It is most likely bugs and interactions between two or more 3rd party components / shell extensions, possibly involving firewall/antivirus software given the network aspect of the cloud storage shell extensions.

Both mentioned changes should be part of the 11.17 stable release fairly soon, for those who don't want to use betas.

Update: I just upgraded to DO 11, and I'm no longer having the problem. So, it appears that DO has tested for and resolved these incompatibilities.

DO often only needs changes, because OneDrive, Dropbox, iTunes/iCloud first create the probs by always changing things or not using standards.

For example try iCloud and Acrobat using an online form... crash on save-dialogue because of iCloud-entry hanging up. Uninstall iCloud, everything's fine. Later install new version of iCloud... works again... update this version...uninstall, because bug appears again. It's always the same crap.

All icons missing again this morning in Directory Opus, with no apparent reason.

Setting (Preferences / Miscellaneous / Advanced: flush_com_libraries = False) does not fix the problem.
Quitting dropbox and box services does not fix.

Version: 11.17 x 64, Build 5829.

Please try the earlier suggestions.

If they don't work, look at what was installed, updated, or re-configured on the machine that morning, or what you're doing differently (different types of files to normal?) that might be part of what has triggered things. If Opus didn't change this morning then something else must have.