Link to German x86 Beta-Version broken

I wanted Update on the new german x86 beta version 1.0.1.6. But him get only page cannot be found.

Yes sorry it will be fixed in a few hours. You can download the English version if you like.

You should be able to download the 32-bit German version now.

thanks

thanks. i am noticing that the download transfer rate is ~75KB/s. this must be on your part because when i download official setup.exe's from other sites (Microsoft, Nero, Adobe) i get full speed transfer rates at ~650-750KB/s with my DSL bandwith.

( the English version download has German too, check Preferences>>Miscellaneous>>Language>>... )

The speed will depend on your route to the site.

It used to be quite slow for me a few weeks ago, but seems decent now. Everyone else I asked when it was slow for me said it worked very fast for them (even people in the same country as me, on the same ISP, but in different cities, which was a bit odd).

I've found that using a download manager like DownThemAll which can grab multiple parts of the file in parallel can greatly speed it up, too:

nice screenshot proofs, thanks! (yes, i guess download managers are one way to ..)
Spontaneous idea: why doesnt Dopus itself download (with parallel connections) and install the update? (ListerMenu>>File>>Help>>Check For Program Updates...>>Download and install latest beta)

then i wouldnt have to install a download manager hehe..
oops, offtopic. sorry.

The update checker could detect, download & install beta versions but it doesn't right now. The betas are really intended for the kind of people who are already regularly reading the forum and/or the blog, not the more casual users who would rather wait.

As for parallel connections for HTTP downloads, it'd be quite a bit of development & testing just to speed up a download that is performed infrequently, often in the background, and fast enough for most people already. I don't know of any web browser that does that parallel-connection HTTP downloads out-of-the-box (without add-ons like DownThemAll), let alone any programs' update-checkers.

Right you are. So let's save the development time and efforts, i agree. [...]

Instead, some clever forum user might know a button code which calls a mini command line tool (download manager with parallel http connections) to download the latest, say German 32-bit, Dopus beta version with parallel connections and then run it. Since the download url is always the same

http://www.gpsoft.com.au/files/Opus10/OI/DOpusInstall-Deutsch.exe

it is conceivable that such a button could be done..

kundal? :grin:

here is a well-developed (mature stadium) of a download manager with command line switches:
http://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/support/command_line.html

Looks like this one also has a CLI and can do parallel/split/multi-part downloads:
freedownloadmanager.org/index.htm

I haven't used it so can't say how good it is. Personally, I'm sticking with DTA as I don't mind having to right-click a link in my web browser every couple of weeks. :slight_smile:

Yes, FDM has CLI FWIW but it's not documented anywhere RTFM LOL so i checked with IDM and its command line launches the colorful win GUI no THX. by chance i discovered this CLI-only SOLO EXE freeware which does exactly what i was looking for: ARIA2C (area to see: bottom of page) FTW!

As can be seen from the screenshot the button command set is:

C:\WINDOWS\aria2c.exe --dir=C: -x10 -s10 -k1M --file-allocation=none --allow-overwrite=true http://www.gpsoft.com.au/files/Opus10/OI/DOpusInstall.exe C:\DOpusInstall.exe
For this literal command to work, the aria2c.exe must be placed into [i]C:\WINDOWS[/i]. The Dopus setup.exe is downloaded via 10 (hehe :smiley:) parallel HTTP connections overwriting any same-named file in the root dir of partition (C:). After the download the file is fired up automatically.

I invoke this command set by right-clicking on the button Dopus Updates (Check...|Install) which is a 2-way button in the ListerMenu. The suggested button makes sense to people:

• who experience slow download rates and dont have any download manager, OR
  • who dont visit the forum or the forum news section, OR
  • who were missing such a (similar) download button in the ListerMenu>>Help

Keep in mind that will only download beta versions. If the latest version is a non-beta, the URL will be different and that file probably won't exist at all (until the next beta version).

oopsa. :blush:

Thanks for the heads up! (the url for the current non-beta 32bit would be (now we can see the difference)):

http://www.gpsoft1.com/files/Opus10/DOpusInstall.exe

Another thing worth noting:
It is maybe a good idea, once the installer has launched, to kill the 2 Dopus processes (dopus.exe, dopusrt.exe) from/in the background. otherwise i wouldnt know how they (can) get updated thru the installer :astonished:
Once the installer is done with the updating of *.exe's and *.dll's, it's time to reboot the machine. That will never go away, will it? Rebooting the machine is always a must with Dopus updates!! :wink:

The installer updates all the in-use files on reboot. That is why it requests a reboot.

Exiting dopus.exe and dopusrt.exe before updating is pointless; you'll still have to reboot due to the DLLs being in use by other programs, whether or not the Opus executables are running.

(If there was any point to doing it, the installer would do it itself.)

(There's no need to kill either program, either. There are ways to cleanly exit both of them. But it won't get you anything in this case so don't waste your time. :slight_smile: )

[quote]it is conceivable that such a button could be done
..kundal? :grin: [/quote]
...Nice to see you can help yourself. :smiley:

Thanks for the little Tool you found. I love one-file-no-installation-Tools which can be used from the command-line.
I modified your Button to just open my Download Directory at the end instead of ececuting the file.

Whith the help of nircmd.exe and a very old Firefox Extension ("External Application Buttons" needs "Add-On Compatibility Reporter" to be used with Firefox 6) I was able to add a Button to Firefox which downloads Links copied to the Clipboard and opens the download directory when finished. Very nice for slow Downloads!

There is a way to avoid rebooting your machine! As leo mentioned it's necessary because of some DLL's (most time it's only one: dopuslib.dll) being in use by other programs. When you simply rename these Files using Windows Explorer & Unlocker you can install DOpus without Restart. The renamed old Dll can't be deleted until the next Reboot because it's still in use by other Programs although you renamed it. So you can tell Unlocker to delete the renamed File at the next System Start. Possibly this could cause some Problems e.g. with Contextmenu-entries of DOpus so I wouldn't really recommend it although I never had problems with it.
If you don't have serious reasons to avoid rebooting your machine you should always install DOpus the normal way.

There is a way to avoid rebooting your machine! As leo mentioned it's necessary because of some DLL's (most time it's only one: dopuslib.dll) being in use by other programs. When you simply rename these Files using Windows Explorer & Unlocker you can install DOpus without Restart.[/quote]

If doing that made sense, the installer would do it for you. :slight_smile:

It's not a good idea because you'll then have two versions of the DLLs in memory, and the old DLL will try to send messages to the new version of Opus, which may not be compatible.

It will work sometimes, but it'll crash other times. Depends what has been changed between the old & new version. In general, it isn't safe.

Just reboot after installing the updates. They don't come out that often and you can choose when to install them.

I only used this method a few times because for some reason I got an error message during the installation of a Beta-Version like "the file dopusrt.exe couldn't be created because you can't create a file that already exists". Since I didn't want to spend a lot of time to find out what's wrong in my system I simply manually deleted everything in the Installation Directory and renamed the DLL to get around this. Of course I rebooted my machine a short time afterwards so I didn't see any problems with this.
My last Installation worked the normal way again.
Nevertheless I think it's time to completely reinstall my Windows 7. I've made too much experiments with tweaking, tuning Software-testing and so on since I changed from XP to Win7 which surely confused some things in my System. Now that I got used to Win7 and know how I want to have it configured I should do a clean Install to get rid of such annoying errors I see from time to time.

No kiddin you liked the button and have adopted it in your Dopus? (Now i dont feel like a tr*ll anymore! :grin: )
I remember that you were a WinXP 32bit user until spring/summer, so now you've upgraded to Win7 OIC. Microsoft treats Win7, though successful, as a temporary OS. official videos of Win8 and alpha versions are out already. I will step up much later, e.g. when service pack releases for Win7 have stopped. As long as i can do whatever i want with my PC, i dont see the real need to upgrade my OS from a 1 GB tier (xp-sp3) to a 20 GB monster (64-bit Win7 needs more RAM and HDD resources then 32-bit Win7. insane.).

Dopus as a big-sized file manager is one enough :sunglasses:

Back to the topic. Let's see when H&P updates the German help file. Poor them!