No icon in taskbar?

Hi forum,

is it possible to hide/remove the Opus icon from the taskbar?

It only takes up space that could be used otherwise (in order to better read other program window titles):

Or at least only show the icon and no text besides it (in the above screenshot's case that display text on taskbar setting is active).

Thanks already,
David.P

It seems like you can currently only hide Opus in the notification area, but not in the taskbar.
Maybe there are some freeware tools out there that can do this.

Success.

7 Taskbar Tweaker

What did you have to do to get it that way? It's like that for me already - but I don't recall doing anything special...

EDIT: sorry - didn't see the link you included when I posted.

Yes, but in my case the "icons only" at the left side are not "pinned" but actually running programs / open windows -- just like the icons+text-taskbar buttons to the right (which equals exactly what I was after).

[quote="steje"]What did you have to do to get it that way? It's like that for me already - but I don't recall doing anything special...

EDIT: sorry - didn't see the link you included when I posted.[/quote]

When you say "It's like that for me already", I presume you are talking about the icons without text, those to the left of the Word icon.

I don't know for sure whether that behavior is the Windows 7 default behavior or not. I think it is, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, that type of display or not seems to be customizable. Right click the taskbar and select Properties. In the taskbar properties, see the choices for Taskbar buttons:. If I'm understanding you correctly, Always combine, hide labels produces what you say is the way it is for you already without doing anything special. Again, I think this in the default setting, but I'm not sure. Either of the other options expands the tackbar buttons to include text on the right.

The last post by DavidP shows some buttons with text and some without. Probably this is what he gains with the linked tool. I haven't looked at it.

Exactly!

I need the text on most taskbar buttons (e.g. Word and PDF) in order to easily tell which button is which document. I even increased the buttons width with some registry hack in order to show more text. But I did'nt want 5cms of text besides the Opus, Explorer, Firefox, Thunderbird... icons that basically tell me "this is Opus, Explorer, Firefox, Thunderbird...", taking up most of the space of the taskbar, thus compressing my many Word, Pdf, etc. icons.

However now with the help of that great little tool 7 Taskbar Tweaker, all is perfect.

Regards David.P