Crash in findthread on Find or flatview of Outlook .msg file

Hi Support,

The error is Error 0xC0000005 in thread 'dopus.findthread'.

I save an Outlook 2010 email (.msg) file to a folder in My Documents. The .msg file is in HTML format and contains no text, only an image pasted from any .jpg file. There are no other files in the folder, and no subfolders.

When I run a search on the folder, Opus crashes with the above error. The crash happens every time, not intermittently.

This also happens if I attempt a flat view of any folder with subfolders one of which includes such an Outlook file.

If I change the format of this Outlook .msg file from html to Rich Text, without changing anything else, Find works fine. If I change the format back to html, the crash returns. Meanwhile, .msg files with no images don't cause the problem.

Any image will cause this behavior. Small images are no better than large ones.

My workflow involves thousands of .msg files carefully sorted and indexed. In previous versions of Opus I didn't have this problem, but unfortunately I can't recall how far back that was.

Running XP SP3, Opus 10.2.0.0 (4645) x86

Thanks very much,
Bruce Clemence
ps42@cox.net

Could you PM me an example message that triggers the problem?

Opus doesn't understand these files itself, so it is probably crashing when calling one of the system "IFilters" to parse the text out of it. If this has only started happening recently it could be due to changes in your Office installation; you could try doing a repair install and see if it makes a difference.

Hi Jon - here's an example of a file that causes the crash -- Outlook HTML format e-mail with an image pasted in. This has been happening for months, first with Outlook 2003 and Opus 9, now with Outlook 2010 and Opus 10. Thanks for any help you can provide. Without a fix, I'd have to write some kind of automation to iterate through thousands of files and isolate offenders - argh!!! Thanks again, Bruce
Outlook 2010 html email with pasted image causes crash in findthread_Clemence.zip (104 KB)

Thanks, we'll see what we can find!

Hi - any luck on this one yet? --Bruce

The latest beta (link in my signature) has some changes aimed at working around the problem.

Nice work, Leo -- the bug appears to be dead. Thank you very much for your help, and for the famous responsiveness of D.O. support in general. Just one of the many things that makes this app so far above the others that it might as well exist in a different, vastly more advanced galaxy. And of the many reasons I keep patiently explaining to people why their lives aren't complete without it. --Bruce