Treating .tib files like folders

Dear Sirs,

Acronis's products (True Image, Backup and Recovery, ...) have a nice feature: they allow Windows Explorer to treat a backup file (*.tib) as if it were just another folder (or archive [zip ...], for that matter) - works great in Windows Explorer.

Odd enough, DO (which is assumed to do MORE than WinExplorer) sees these *.tib files as just that: FILES (no means to "drill" in).

Is this a bug (oversight) or a feature (intentional)?

If the former, kindly have it corrected for a next release; if the latter, why? (also: can it be worked-around, and if so how and what are the possible consequences?)

Thanks in advance for a prompt & enlightening reply,

Sincerely,

Eric Trattner

Make sure Preferences / Folders / Virtual Folders / Treat all virtual folders as real is not selected, since that may block it from working.

If it still doesn't work, see if you can go into a .tib file in Explorer, then copy & paste the path into Opus. (If so, it's probably just the double-click event doing the wrong thing on the filetype.)

It may also be that TIB's virtual folder shell extension is written to only work inside of Explorer. Other virtual folder shell extensions definitely work in Opus, though.

Dear Leo,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

1. Virtual Folders are treated as VIRTUAL - no problem there.

2. I CANNOT copy the address from Windows Explorer (it's formatted from several sub-sections, and I cannot copy them all together ...); see also screen capture, attached;

3.Incidentally: double-clicking on such a file (*.tib, that is) opens a copy of Windows Explorer pointed at that file (and allowing, as before, to "drill-in").

So ...

You may wish to try and reproduce the issue (possibly, with a trial copy of Acronis True Image) and see what happens (and how it can be corrected).

Thanks again,

Eric

To copy the path from Explorer's address bar, you should be able to click the icon (on the left of the path) or the blank space (on the right of the path) to turn it into a normal edit control.

I'll see if I can get a trial version and install it in a VM when I have a moment, but it may be a while, and I have a feeling TrueImage's virtual folders may be written for Explorer specifically. (Even if we can get them to work in Opus, they'll just be a copy of the same UI you get in Explorer, inside the Opus window.)

Last time I used True Image, it had the option of mounting backups as real drive letters which are visible, like any other drive, from all applications (not just Explorer).

Hi Leo,

Thanks for the prompt reply (especially given the time it is currently at your location ...)

I am well aware of the way to get the path for "regular" folders/ files; it just doesn't work in this case :frowning:

As for mounting the drives, this works indeed - but it's a slower and more resource-intensive means than just looking inside the archive.

The point is that I should like to stay within DO most of the time and not have to go to Windows Explorer just because DO cannot cover the issue.

Good luck with the experiment :slight_smile: Looking forward to your findings.

All the best (and a good night's sleep!),

Eric

I also experience the same result using DO but because I rarely need to mount backup files, I never bothered to mention it in the forum.

It looks like Opus doesn't support the type of virtual-folder-in-a-file shell extension that True Image uses, so there probably isn't a way to make this work, and mounting the images as real drives is the only option for viewing them in Opus (unless someone wants to write a TIB VFS plugin for Opus, like the plugin which handles 7z, RAR, etc. archives).

Since very few other tools use this type of shell extension, it's probably not something we will add support for, at least in the near future.

Hi Leo,

Thanks for the reply.

Still, I guess the real question here is not how many other tools are using this type of extension, but rather what percentage of DO users are also Acronis users ... Your take? Maybe worth sending a short poll?

Regards,

Eric

A member of the german Forum requested this feature and I'd also like to see this implemented.
He mentioned that the small and portable Filemanager Q-Dir can open *.tib files so it may be not too difficult to get this file type treated like an archive by DOpus.

At the moment the only way to see the contents of a *.tib file in DOpus is to mount the image as a drive but the procedure is less comfortable than opening the file in explorer and the Acronis shell extensions must be re-enabled to have the context menu entries.
I think it would be much appreciated by all DOpus and True Image users to be able to easily open Acronis Images in DOpus.

To be honest, the Acronis shell extensions have caused so many problems for us (and Explorer) over the years, that we'd be unlikely to implement support for this just for the sake of that software.

1 Like

I understand your reservations about their shell extensions but nevertheless it's a very popular software and adding support for the *.tib file type doesn't seem to have anything to do with shell extensions for me. It would be just another file type like *.iso that can be handled by DOpus like an archive.

So you're talking about writing a custom parser for the (presumably proprietary) .tib file format? Is the format documented somewhere? Is that definitely how Q-Dir does it? That sounds like a lot of work against a potentially moving target.

(BTW, I'm an ex TI user myself. It used to be great. I struggle to remain professional when it comes to my thoughts on what it has become, and that's not just due to the shell extension issues.)

[quote="kundal"]A member of the german Forum requested this feature and I'd also like to see this implemented.
He mentioned that the small and portable Filemanager Q-Dir can open *.tib files so it may be not too difficult to get this file type treated like an archive by DOpus.

At the moment the only way to see the contents of a *.tib file in DOpus is to mount the image as a drive but the procedure is less comfortable than opening the file in explorer and the Acronis shell extensions must be re-enabled to have the context menu entries.
I think it would be much appreciated by all DOpus and True Image users to be able to easily open Acronis Images in DOpus.[/quote]

+1

I enjoyed reading this entire thread, hoping that by the end of it there'd be a solution. I have to add my two cents worth though. I've been using DOpus for a good long time and until just very recently, when I right clicked on a .tib file it gave me the expanded menu allowing a tree that took me to mount. Viewing mount not only let me look at and extract individual files but also allowed me to confirm that the image itself is valid and usable.

Question: Why has it worked so nicely until just now?

Hello,

in the meantime we have arrived in the 2nd half of 2019.
So far nothing has changed with DOpus under Windows 10.
I use version 12.16.4 (beta) 64bit.
Files of the type .tibx can no longer be mounted!

The small file manager Q-Dir also opens these files without any problems in a tab!!!

Here I show 2 screenshot:

When can DOpus follow up?

Greetings Rüdiger

No reason to expect this to change any time soon:

On my system, when I open a tibx file with Opus "Open" command, the file opens in an Explorer window. I can move through the various levels of the tibx file and perform any file operation I want.

I have recently upgraded to the new Acronis 2020, so I do not know if that makes a difference, but to me it works just fine and makes restoring individual files a real breeze

I'm using DOpus 12.27 on Win 11 and when I double click on a tib or tibx file (or choose open) the file display is only reloaded (at least that is what I see).
I can open the file in Explorer via extras menu with "open with explorer", but that does not work directly via double click (or context menu "open").
In the file type settings is defined for "open": explorer /idlist,%I,%L

Is there possibly a change in Win 11 and the command has to be changed?
I assume it is still not possible to open these file types in DOpus.

Select a tib file then type > into the file display to open the quick command field.

Paste contextmenu verb=open into it and push return.

If that doesn't work, make sure the file is still selected and try
contextmenu verb=dopus_openinexplorer

If either works, set the command as the Left double-click event for .tib files under Settings > File Types.

If neither works, you can probably find the required command by running contextmenu showcmds with the file selected.

1 Like

Thanks. I put exactly that as command. I assume that is right, because it works.

If someone is facing the issue that explorer is asking for several volumes of an incremental backup: Make a repair installation of Acronis. It is not a DOpus issue.
EDIT: ? Helped only during repair. Afterwards same issue. Have to check further...