Filenames begining with underscore sort to end in 11.5.4

As noted in AudioCoverArt height/width, as of 11.5.4, files whose names begin with an underscore come after files whose names begin with a letter or number when the lister is supposedly sorted in ascending sequence by Name.

If the underscore (_) is changed to a dash (-), the file returns to the top of the list.

I wonder why, after years with the previous behaviour.

_ looks better than - as a prefix to get a file/folder to stay at the top (thats a matter of taste, I know).
The new sorting is also the opposite of windows explorer (W7), actually it seems to be the opposite
of most of the software I use (excluding TCC), and windows itself (open/save dialogs).

It would be nice to at least have an option to revert to previous order.

uh, I meant windows itself (open/save dialogs) also use the old sort order.

I also noticed this and would like the option to go back to sort the old way.

FWIW, I am NOT seeing this problem. I don't know why. I would not expect Opus behaviour on something like this to change without notice. I have not changed any settings.

I am sorting on Filename.

I have selected the following Display, Sorting Options:

[ul]Files listed before folders
Sort name and extension separately
Word sort (special handling for hyphens, etc).[/ul]

I would also expect Opus to work like Windows Explorer for something like this.

It doesn't here.

Before V11.5.4 underscores were sorted at the beginning of the list without having to activate Word sort (special handling for hyphens, etc) in folder formats. Now you'll have to activate this option to get the old behaviour back. Is this intended or a bug?

[quote="kundal"]Before V11.5.4 underscores were sorted at the beginning of the list without having to activate Word sort (special handling for hyphens, etc) in folder formats. Now you'll have to activate this option to get the old behaviour back. Is this intended or a bug?[/quote]Hmm...

Good question. I think I have had that setting for years. I really cannot remember when I first activated it. I do have a number of files and folders whose names start with an underscore, and they do sort to the front of the list, so I assume that must have had something to do with it.

I agree I'd expect Opus to conform to the Explorer standard here unless there is some reason why it should do otherwise. if so, what is it?

[quote="BeeTeeEss"]
Good question. I think I have had that setting for years. I really cannot remember when I first activated it. I do have a number of files and folders whose names start with an underscore, and they do sort to the front of the list, so I assume that must have had something to do with it.[/quote]

Previously, names beginning with an underscore were sorted to the front of the list even if Word Sort was not set, so perhaps wanting them at the front doesn't seem like a reason to have set Word Sort.

I wasn't even aware of the setting until now, but my understanding of the description of Word Sort in the help is that it is relevant only to hyphens and apostrophes.

In any case, the most pertinent question is whether the behavior was intentionally changed in 11.5.4. If not, all the other questions, comments and opinions are probably irrelevant.

This is a strange change. Whilst the sorting of the main display can be changed I cannot see how to change the directory sorting as vowed in the tree view. Directory listed in the file list change order when the sort order is changed the tree view seems to b unchanged

If this was intentional I hope we get an option to revert to the old behavior.

John

Don't worry. The change in how _ is sorted in the new beta is an unintended side effect of fixing another bug.

Still exists in Beta 11.5.5. If "Word sort" is not set, folders beginning with "_" will be placed at the end - or was that changed and I need to activate "Word sort" from now on?

Not for me! It's back to normal in version 11.5.5 german 64bit.

It seems to be fixed for me, 64bit universal

Thanks

Nope, I still need to activate word sort to fix.

Fixed, didn't restart one PC :blush:

I was a couple of days late in installing 11.5.4. By the time I came to the forum looking for a thread, 11.5.5 was out. :smiley: I vote we put Jon in charge of everything that confuses or frustrates me.

Thanks Leo...