Auto Hide Toolbar not Auto Hiding

Hi; a strange problem cropped up recently. For context, I've been using Opus since version 6, so I'm not a newbie. The problem occurred with a "floating" toolbar (named "Desktop") that I created YEARS ago. About 1 month ago, I set that Desktop to auto hide. Everything worked flawlessly for about 2 weeks but suddenly, about 2 weeks ago, that Desktop toolbar suddenly/abruptly started NOT going into auto hide mode. I was so annoyed/desperate that I actually uninstalled/reinstalled Opus! That didn't fix the problem so I had to dig deeper. At 1 point when I set the Windows taskbar to auto hide, I got an error that a toolbar was already hidden in the task bar space so I was like, what the heck? That's when it hit me that my Opus "Desktop" toolbar might be showing up on my monitor # 2 which was powered off at the time. So I turned on monitor # 2 and voila... there was my Desktop toolbar! Problem was -- there were not 1 or 2 but FOUR "Desktop" toolbars there (on monitor # 2) -- evidently every time I went into Opus preferences & clicked "auto hide" [and this is the strange part] -- Opus was DUPLICATING my "desktop" toolbar (on monitor # 2 AND in the active/default lister). So while I was able to close the extra 4 toolbars on monitor # 2 & the toolbar is now correctly "floated" in the desired horizontal position across the bottom of my screen [on monitor 1], the "desktop" toolbar remains duplicated & STILL appears in my active/default lister & no matter how many times I close it, it's always there when I close/reopen the active/default lister, or any lister for that matter. I even closed it [the "Desktop" toolbar] then saved the lister layout as the default & said yes when it asked if I wanted to replace the lister but still, it's always there when I close/reopen the active/default lister, or any lister. I closed it again & saved the lister as a new lister but again, it's always there when I close/reopen the active/default lister, or any lister. I don't get it. I do NOT want the same toolbar displayed twice -- in a lister AND horizontally across the bottom of my screen -- I only want it horizontally across the bottom of my screen. So how do I prevent the lister from being duplicated? How do I [permanently] close it in the lister, while keeping the "floated" toolbar at the bottom of my screen? Weird problem I know... hope you guys can help with a quick fix. Thanks in advance!

You can open more than one copy of the same floating toolbar, and it sounds like that's what has happened.

Close all but the one you want to keep, then use File > Save Floating Toolbars from the top-left of the Customize window.

If you find more copies of the toolbar start appearing, you might have a button/hotkey which is running the Toolbar command to open the toolbar in a way which doesn't check if it's already open.

Thanks Leo for the quick response. I did exactly as you said (closed the duplicate toolbar in a lister then File/Save Floating Toolbars) & crossed my fingers & closed/reopened a lister but, alas, the [duplicate] toolbar was still there in the lister.

In the lister? So we're not talking about a floating toolbar?

Lister toolbars do not have an auto-hide option.

I originally created the toolbar in a lister, then I "floated" it to the desktop. For many years I used it [in the floated desktop position] without auto-hiding it. 2 weeks ago when I set it to auto hide, that's when I discovered that it still appears in the lister, rather than ONLY floated on the desktop

If it's in the lister, close the copy that's in the lister, then use Settings > Toolbars > Set As Default Toolbar Set.

(If you're using Layouts, Styles, etc. which load their own toolbars instead of the defaults, you might have to update them as well.)

Thanks for all your help Leo; my desired configuration is now set up exactly as desired! Cheers :slight_smile:

Greetings Leo, it's been a while since I've had occasion to write about any issues. Hope you've been well! So I have an issue with the same [floated] "desktop" toolbar that I previously wrote about, which [floated] "desktop" toolbar is set to auto-hide. The auto-hide feature works well for the most part, but a few months ago I noticed that the toolbar will often disappear entirely, and the only way to make it reappear is to right-click the Opus tray icon, then click Customize. After the toolbar is revealed, it is partially (90%) hidden by the Windows taskbar, so I have to then point to and select the "desktop" toolbar to bring it to the fore, then click OK on the Customize dialog box. The toolbar will then function correctly but will disappear again, without fail, in a few hours, and I'll have to repeat the Customize routine. Sometimes I'll exit/restart Opus to resolve the problem, or by rebooting my PC, but, as you may have suspected, the toolbar will disappear yet again, and again, ad infinitum. My Opus version is 12.3 x64, build 6183. Are you familiar of this anomaly, and is there a fix? Thanks.

Windows 10, build 14393.rs1_release_inmarket.161208-2252

Auto-hide/docked toolbars are actually managed by Windows itself, but there are some bugs with that code (especially if you have multiple monitors with a mixture of DPIs, or have changed the primary monitor's DPI and not rebooted since).

Sometimes moving the toolbar out of docked state and then re-docking it can fix things. Or closing and re-opening it. I have a hotkey which toggles the toolbar:

Toolbar NAME="Leo - Docked" STATE=float POS=3840,0 APPBAR=bottom TOGGLE

That won't help if what you're seeing is a Windows 10 mixed DPI bug, but should help if it's one of the other bugs where Windows gets confused about where a docked toolbar is.

My bad... Didn't check/see your response sooner. I do have 2 monitors with different DPIs but they're both set to their native resolutions/I haven't changed them recently/have rebooted many times over the months the problem has been occurring. Thanks for the hotkey toggle! I just moved the toolbar out of docked state & re-docked it... Will let you know if the problem continues or, hopefully, fixed [as a result]. Many thanks :slight_smile: