Acrobat Fix

In previous version of Opus before version 11.13 I just installed the Fixes_for_64-bit_Adobe_Reader_setup.exe and the thumbnail view worked just fine. I recently reverted PC to a previous (Pre Directory Opus) state and had to re-install Opus. Now I can't get PDF file to display readable content in thumbnail view. I don't know if this matters but Adobe just upgraded my software to Acrobat DC. Does any body know any thing about my problem. Thanks

I believe Adobe have removed the thumbnail ability from the latest version for "technical reasons".

I can't believe them! This will change I am sure it is too important of a feature. Now I cant use Opus to browse a directory where I have tons of PDF's as thumbnails.

I doubt it will change, they went about 5 years claiming it was impossible to make thumbnails work on 64 bit while I put the fix on my website to make them work. Adobe do not seem to know what they are doing.

There is other PDF software with working thumbnail support, which may be the best option at this stage.

I plan to look at Reader DC and see if its thumbnailer can be brought back from the dead, for those who want Adobe's code for all things PDF, but I don't know if it will be possible. The code may be gone entirely.

They maybe will add it again as a new feature for DC 2 :wink:.

But it really seems that they have optimized some code. DC is now as fast as other viewers over years (even the Chrome/Opera built-in-viewer was faster).

Unfortunately Acrobat offers best compatibility for PDF-files.

I put in the trial of Nuance Power PDF and I have the thumbnails back. Then I set the default PDF application back to Acrobat DC. The thumbnails stayed and when I double click them they open in Acrobat DC. If set it back to Acrobat DC as default how come the thumbnails have stayed? Maybe some feature of Power PDF? Thanks

It all depends on how each program updates the registry.

For info on how either PDF program works, this is the wrong place to ask.

No, I was not asking how the programs internally work. I was just stating what I had some success with. After I did the steps above I un-installed Power PDF and The thumbnails stayed. I have Acrobat DC (which has new features I need) and thumbnails in Opus. This is great! The great functionality of Acrobat plus Directory Opus (which is such phenomenal program/explore replacement)!!!! Thanks

Are you sure you still get thumbnails generated and they're not just coming out of the cache?

How do I determine this? Thanks

I figured out how to determine it. I copied one to new folder and no more thumbnail. Shucks!!! My apologies I did not mean to miss-direct, but I got excited to have a solution. I will keep looking and trying! Thanks

Have there been any updates or the Thumbnail issue. I ask because I have seen info that the 32bit version of Acrobat DC has fixed this. I remember the fix for 64bit from info on this forum a while back (I understand that was a totally different version), could it still apply? Thanks

If you link to them I can tell you what they mean more definitively.

If Acrobat DC 32bit has working thumbnails again (they were broken last I heard, but that may be out of date) then the fix will probably bring them to 64bit again as well. Try it and see.

If it is of any help, I fixed this problem by removing Acrobat DC completely from my system and installing the last version of Acrobat Reader 11. The thumbnails are back. According to the Adobe Forums, the very latest version of Acrobat Reader has thumbnails in 32 bit only. They claim a 64 bit fix will follow. I am not holding my breath.

The 64-bit thumbnail fix for Adobe Reader 11 is here (from me, not from Adobe): pretentiousname.com/adobe_pd ... index.html

It won't currently work with Adobe Reader DC unless Adobe Reader DC's thumbnail component is back, though.

Now that Adobe has fixed the issue with Acrobat DC 64bit thumbnails, I am getting slow performance in directories that have PDF files. It acts like it is stuck. Sometimes pressing F5 to refresh wakes it up, but that is slow also. Some of them don’t even load the thumbnail. I am wondering should I still add the plugin that worked with opus before… Fixes_for_64-bit_Adobe_Reader_setup.exe… does anybody have an experience with this? Thanks