Archive plugin and unknown file extensions

Hi Guys,

This is an old question which was never answered, so I through I might bring it back now that DO12 is out.

As part of our development environment, we have a range of package formats which are named with
various extensions (like .fab .app .devx) which are simply uncompressed tar files.

7-Zip is never fooled by the name, simply because it opens the file in order to fingerprint it before displaying the context menu.

Opus, on the other hand, relies solely on the extension. If the format was ZIP, I could simply add it to the Zip Files/Zip Extensions settings, but that doesn't work in this case, because Opus relies on the file being an actual "ZIP" format archive, and not simply an "archive".

Is it possible to add file types to the archive handler? I would need to add three or four. I'm thinking one of the following;

1. Add an option to edit the list of extensions for the "archive" plugin
  2. Add the ability to detect file type for the archive plugin the way 7-zip already does
  3. Add a set of mappings to allow files of a specific extension to be handled by a specific archive format handler;
    ".fab -> tar",
    ".ors -> zip",
    etc.

Is there already a way to do this?

Thanks

It can't be done currently, but we might be able to add it. I'll put it on our list.

In the next beta (12.3.4) we will add the ability to do this for more than just the built-in Zip type.

As well as Zip, it will be possible for most of the plugin archive types (including TAR, 7Z and RAR).

The compound types for things like .TGZ (.TAR.GZ) will still not be able to have extensions added, as that's more complicated and hopefully not needed. To clarify, extensions for uncompressed TAR can be modified and assigned to new extensions, but not TAR-inside-GZIP and similar.