RDP Access to \\TSCLIENT Drive - crashes connection

I use Opus Directory (OP) on a Remote Desktop (RDP) computer to sync files between the RDP and my local computer. This has worked great for a number of years. I use Remote Desktop Connection to login to a server with a Windows computer (local host) and server computer (RDP).

PROBLEM STATEMENT: Using Opus Director on a RDP connection -- when I browse to a local drive (\TSCLIENT) -- my connection to the RDP is immediately terminated.

We recently upgraded the RDP to Windows 10 Pro -- and also upgraded OP to 12.3 -- I also loaded OP 11.19 to test versions -- and had the same disconnect problem.

Using the OP lister (folder or drive window) if I browse to the \tsclient local computer drive -- the CONNECTION is lost to the computer. Initially it is OK at the drive level --- but if I try to go into any folder it disconnects the RDP.

Images Attached:

(1) Here is my OPUS Directory screen -- showing that I have a connection to the \tsclient drive on my local computer from my RDP connection.

(2) As soon as I click in the either the drive window -- or folder window -- the RDP drops the connection

(3) Using Windows Explorer -- however -- I can navigate to the subfolders on the local computer. (does not crash or disconnect)

I can copy and paste the file path into opus directory -- and it will position itself to the correct folder on the local drive -- but if I try to navigate by clicking on the

OP worked fine on the old setup (RDP was Windows 7 Pro)

The RDP is being established using Windows Server 2008

HELP -- with reason the computer is being disconnected. Consistently happens every time I browse to a local disk drive.

Is there a setting or preference that I need to change in OP?

Is this a bug because the RDP is a Windows 10 OS?

Thanks,
RFBergstrom

All Opus does is access the path like any other drive, so if that particular RDP version/connection is reacting by disconnecting, there must be a problem with the RDP stack somewhere, or with something that is inserting itself into things (e.g. antivirus or firewall could be killing the connection because it doesn't like some processes accessing it, perhaps).

Confirmed this bug now on two different computer networks. OP crashes a Windows 10 machine (RDP) -- when OP is installed on a RDP and you try to connect to your local drive (\TSCLIENT). Set up the RDC with resources options to access your local drive. Then after connection to the RDP open OP on the RDP and access the local drive. Opus CRASHES the Windows 10 RDP. Event viewer confirms this is a UNEXPECTED SHUT DOWN of the Windows 10 computer. Can see the Blue Screen on the Windows 10 computer (in one case) so confirmed the Windows 10 computer does CRASH!

Been doing this procedure for years on a Windows 7 Pro RDP -- and still can -- works so well and is great for sync between the RDP and local computer -- but cannot now that the RDP is Windows 10. SERIOUS BUG! Likely a change instituted by Microsoft in Windows 10. But OP needs to figure out the problem and FIX THIS in the OP software!

Windows Explorer on the RDP can navigate to the local computer drive directories just fine -- but try that with OP and it crashes Windows 10.

If you copy the path to the local drive (e.g. \TSCLIENT\C\Programs\OpusDirectory) into the Opus address bar -- it can access that folder fine. But don't try to navigate to that directory using Opus (or up or down from that directory). Crashes the Windows 10 RDP EVERY TIME! (tested and confirmed on two different RDP Windows 10 systems).

I haven't been able to reproduce any problems here. This video shows me accessing the drives on the RDP client from a Windows 10 VM; navigating up and down directories causes no problems at all (although it is a bit slow it must be said).

Do you have any other software installed - any network filtering or monitoring software, for example? It's extremely unlikely (impossible, basically) for user mode software such as Opus to cause a blue screen crash so your mention of that instantly makes me think it's some sort of network driver causing a problem.

youtube.com/watch?v=hI820-016zo

Nice -- thanks for quick reply. This is exactly what I could do as well -- but now cannot.

Sorry to be pesky -- but sometimes the terminology "client" and "local" are confusing.

You wrote "RDP client from a Windows 10 VM"

I just want to confirm -- the setup

Your local computer can be any Windows flavor. Use RDC to connect to a Windows 10 Remote DeskTop. On that Windows 10 RDP run OP and access your local drives (\TSCLIENT) -- the RDP (Win 10) then crashed (in my case).

Is that your setup?

If your video employs the RDP as a Windows 10 computer -- then your video shows you do not have the same problem I am experiencing.

My problem is using Win 10 RDP computer to reach back to my local computer (\TSCLIENT) drive (either Win 10 or Win 7).

I too can navigate anywhere -- if the RDP is Win 7

I've tried stopping my antivirus on both the RDP and my local computer -- but same problem persists.

If you can confirm RDP is windows 10 -- then I will need to engage my IT guys to help figure this out.

Thanks

Both machines involved were Windows 10.

Still having this problem. Are the Windows 10 computers that you tested upgraded computers from a Windows 7 install? I think this problem might be related to a legacy file(s) from the prior install of Windows 7.

I contacted Microsoft support and spent more than 1 hour having them diagnose this problem. They came to the conclusion that Opus Directory has an incompatibility with Windows 10 because (1) Windows file explorer can do the folder navigation without causing a crash (2) I have demonstrated the same outcome (crash on the RDP) on two completely different computers/networks. Both RDP that crashed were Window 7 upgraded to WINDOWS 10.

This is a critical function for our work on the server and local computers. We need a solution that will fix this problem. Your help is kindly appreciated!

They were both upgrades. The physical machine (client) was upgraded from Windows 8.1 (and I think from 7 before that although I'm not 100% sure), the VM (host) was upgraded directly from 7 I think.

Thanks for your response. I am out of ideas on to what to pursue. But need to fix this CRITICAL CRASH problem (1) because we use the sync between the client and local computer all the time and (2) we have a qualified environment for regulated analyses -- and a crashed computer is not good for the system documentation.

The two RDP computers (on different networks) that I have accessed use different antivirus and firewall software.

What can I provide to help you see or diagnose this problem? Is there a log file for Opus Directory activity?

I am sending you the Event Error Log via email from the system that crashed when Opus Directory attempts to access the local computer \TSCLIENT file directory -- maybe this error log will hold clues as to the programs or files that Opus Directory accesses that leads to a SYSTEM CRASH when attempting to access the \TSCLIENT folder Directory on a local computer.

Many thanks for your assistance to identify and find this bug and getting to the root of the problem with a suitable solution.

I don't really know what to suggest. User mode software like Opus simply can't cause a BSOD, it's just not possible. Only software that runs in kernel mode (e.g. network drivers) can do that.