Waiting for the DO 9 Announcement

After years with Total Commander and the last year working
with both Dopus and TC I have been convinced that Dopus is the
way to go. I haven't had TC running in some time now in fact.
And although there are several key features of TC that i miss,
and despite many options in Dopus I find unneeded, Dopus has my
support. Its much faster and much prettier. I wish him all he best but I hope Ghisler finds a way to turn TC around from what used to seem
like a fairly complex interface into something along the lines
of Dopus. Maybe he needs a team of developers like you guys...

Also, i do thank you for the gracious window for free updates.

Team?

GPSoftware is two people.

the whole of human genius poured exquisitely into one program.... after the release of opus 9, my heart goes out to any other person(s) making a living of selling solely explorer replacement softwares ; ;

While everyone is (rightly!) singing the praises of the soon-to-be-released DO9, I'd like to add a large 'Thank you!' to Leo.

The quality of his productions - both for content, and for presentation - never ceases to amaze me.

Definition of a team:

1. Two or more people with complementary skills committed to a common purpose and set of specific performance goals. '
  2. A group in which members work together intensively to achieve a common group goal.

Dopus has a GREAT team, small, but with one of them being God and the other Good there is no greater team avaible:)

This is not the place to argue semantics.

The original poster implied that Opus had a team of developers working on it - unlike the other file managers. I was just pointing out that the entire company which produces Opus consists of two people.

The announcement on the main GPS site references the following: Version 9 has a new Licence which allows a registered user to also install the program on one personal laptop. This is the first I have heard of this. Does it mean that we can install DO on our desktop, laptop, and USB drive with just one license? That's pretty generous.
D.

(BTW, is "licence" the Ausie spelling?)

Actually, it's the correct spelling.
License is the U.S. spelling.

Zippo

In British English, licence is the noun and license is the verb. I suspect it's the same "down under".

But more on topic, how much will the upgrade From V8 to v9 cost, I wonder?

On the preview of DO9, there is mention that with the one license, the user will be allowed to create a portable version of DO. How will DO know if i plug in a 2nd USB key and tell it to create me another portable version? What happens if i lose my key?

As others have mentioned, I cannot wait for the release of DO :slight_smile:

"A USB export Licence will be required for each USB flash drive a cost of AUS$10.00 per Licence per device."

This comes out to about $8.25 USD per USB license. I'd gladly pay that a couple of times to have it both on my thumb drive as well as a USB external drive that I take with me on trips.

Yes and no:)

• Each main computer must be licenced separately as does each USB Key. After representation we decided to add ONE personal laptop as a extra privilege.

• With a SINGLE Licence, you can install on ONE machine (of any type); a DUAL licence TWO machines (of any type); a FIVE licence FIVE machines (any type) and so on.

• With ANY Licence you get ONE personal laptop free. ('Personal' defined as owned by the Opus licence holder.)

• USB key export is a separate Licence and EACH physical key requires a separate export Licence at AUD$10 each.

If you lose you USB key you will need to write us a pleading letter:)

[quote="greg"]USB key export is a separate Licence and EACH physical key requires a separate export Licence at AUD$10 each.

If you lose you USB key you will need to write us a pleading letter:)[/quote]If I upgrade my USB thumb drive from a 1gb to a 4gb and give the 1gb to my wife, as I recently did, do I need to purchase a new USB license even though the old thumb drive no longer contains DO? As these things get cheaper and cheaper, replacing them with something bigger in RAM and smaller in size becomes increasingly easier. Is there a way to export to USB and then import it back to use it on another thumb drive?
D.

in this case you can re-use your licence.

A few quick questions before I install DO9:

1- I don't want to lose my DO8 settings. Is there any way to import them?

2- Can D8 and D9 live in the same computer, or you have to uninstall D8 first?

3- is the source code viewer plugin working?

Thanks
PS: I;m a registered member of this forum and still get a capcha to post! That's ridiculous. I'll never post again if you make me jump through hoops like this. Will use mail support.

Your Opus 8 settings will be imported automatically. (I think I mentioned it briefly in my guide, not sure.)

You can't have both installed so you should make a backup of your Opus 8 config if you think you might want to go back. When you install Opus 9 it offers to make a backup of your Opus 8 settings for you as a precaution.

It works fine, but it won't work in USB mode unless Jamie updates it.

I think it only happens on your first post.

It's not ridiculous - since I added it all spambots have been stopped dead here - it's not be going anywhere. It only happens on your first post and is hardly 'jumping through hoops' - it's just typing a couple of letters/numbers - sheesh.

I didn't see anything mentioned about this in the preview, but will there be a search field in version 9? It's the one thing I think Explorer in Vista does well, especially the filters you can apply to the results.

There's the filter field which does more or less the same thing if you're searching for filenames. (Stick a FlatView button next to it and you can make it recursive.) Neither are new in Opus 9 though.

I've already tried that but it's just not the same, it's supposed to work like the Find panel does just simpler. The filters on the columns of the search results are very handy, and although you can acheive similar results using the filters in Find, the Explorer search is much more convenient when you want to do a quick simple search for something.